Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

well struts are shot

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 03:45 PM

well struts are shot

I should say they have been shot for awhile now.
Stopped in to get a quote for replacement

350 each for Monroe's that I can get for 120 on line ready strut complete
1.8 hours labor per side at 100 an hour 360
85 for alignment that we know they really can't do.
then 10% sales tax on all of it

this old man isn't going to pay a snot nosed kid that kind of $$.

Now I am thinking of just getting the struts KYB fe3 and a spring compress unit.
Not supposed to work on cars in my apartment complex but I will if I have to.

What else should I get or should I just get the quick strut
Old 11-09-2014, 04:16 PM

Personally I would get the ready struts. I can work on my vehicles at my house but I just hate messing with spring compressors. I do own a pretty good one, and I have used it before, I just hate using it. In the old days one of my buddies was using one and nearly took his head off. He only got a broken jaw out of the deal then was looking to hire someone to finish the job.

I was on the ambulance squad back then and went on that particular run, so I just did the work on his car while he was in the hospital.

The quick struts are easy to do and really don't cost that much more.

When I did mine I got the quick struts and had the old ones out and the new ones in in under an hour. But I do have an electric impact wrench that probably saved me some time.

I got the lifetime alignment from Firestone when I bought the tires for the HHR. I have been paying for the lifetime alignment on all my cars when I get tires for them. With all the front end work I do on my cars it seems to have been a good investment.

A lot of the stuff you will do to your car really doesn't require an alignment but its nice to have that piece of mind.

Even when I replaced the rack and pinion on my car it turned out I really didn't need an alignment very bad. They said the passengers side was a little toed in but not bad considering it was a totally different rack in there.

I just used a tape measure when I replaced the inner and outer tie rod ends on the replacement rack and pinion measuring off the original rack and pinion.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

If you're going with regular struts and swapping out the springs, you really should use an air or electric 1/2" impact for the big nut removal. If you try to remove that nut with hand tools, well, lets just say it can be almost impossible and will try your patience.
If you go with quick struts you won't need the impact(although it is nice to have it for some of the other nuts/bolts)

Alignment. Replacing struts on the HHR doesn't necessarily change anything. BUT, if you haven't had it aligned lately, it's always a good practice to have it checked after the new parts are installed. The toe is adjustable.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Technical Moderator

A. NO alignment is required, unless you had an alignment done previously with bad parts installed. The ONLY adjustment that is available is toe.

B. Quick Struts are easy 6 nut/bolts each. Parking lot job for a novice should not take 30 minutes each. Tools needed: jack & stands, metric sockets and wrench, breaker bar(maybe), drift and hammer, torque wrench is a good idea.
1.8 hours each is outrageous, maybe for both!

C. You most likely need new sway bar links too, this is a good time to do it (only 1 more nut). Be sure they are K750012 the 10 inch ones.

D. If the fronts are shot, what do you think the rears are like? 2 bolts each.

E. I'm pretty sure there is a how-to in the tutorial section of this forum.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:11 PM

will struts for the cobalt work I see they have the quick strut assemblies in the KYB
Old 11-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Some kind of rust busting spray will help, the top plate nuts are 13mm the two strut bolts and the sway bar link nut are 15mm and yes while your at it change the rear shocks
Old 11-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Charlie D
will struts for the cobalt work I see they have the quick strut assemblies in the KYB

Probably not, the springs are most likely different. You would have to ask KYB.

The "old model" Monroes made noise, I think because they were actually made for Cobalts. The new ones have ** after the part number on the box.

Search "struts" for lots of discussions on the subject.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Banned

Ready Mounts are the way to go.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:20 PM

all parts ordered
Monroe quick struts
KYB rear shocks
Moog sway bar links

Thank You For Your Order

Read, Print, and Retain For Your Records

Your credit card will be billed $326.28.

Once it all gets here I will head down to harbor freight 5 miles away and get some jack stands
Old 11-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Administrator

You might want to change out the sway bar bushings also the poly greaseable ones are the popular replacements

Quick Reply: well struts are shot