Canadian North Pacific British Columbia, and Yukon

Speedometer Surges, and Wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 03:13 PM
LMN

Speedometer Surges, and Wiring harness

Hi all,
was wondering if anyone can tell me if you have to purchase a new wiring harness or can you put a used one in from a wreckers??
Problem is i had the 0449 code and have replaced the gas cap, now i am wanting to replace the carbon filter and EVAP vent valve and was wondering if this has been a problem with anyone else??
The car surges and hesitates on take off from a stop, i was told it could be the wiring harness but,, from speaking with others they say it could be EVAP ..... please help...
Old 03-31-2022, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, the P0449 code indicates a problem with the EVAP valve under the car near the fuel tank.
some aftermarket replacement valves required adapter harnesses and if a PO had replaced the valve there might be a patch harness back there. I recommend replacing the valve with a new one , AC Delco or Standard , watch out for offshore products from China sold on EBay or Amazon.

a new wire harness isn’t usually required
Old 03-31-2022, 03:58 PM
LMN

Thanks for the information, yes i plan on getting new parts for that EVAP problem.
But was wondering about the wiring harness if that can be purchased used ?? a mechanic told me that it may have to be replaced, or it could just be the outside connector plug for the wire harness..i dont want to go spend more money than i have to .. but i LOVE my HHR and want to do all i can to keep her fit and trustworthy.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:58 PM
Administrator

You can find a used wire harness, but it’s gonna be just as old as your’s
Old 03-31-2022, 08:29 PM
Technical Moderator

The "harness" in question is a short adapter that comes with the valve if you ask fort one for a 2006 HHR. GM changed the connector. As Oldblue said a previous owner may have3 already replaced the valve and the adapter might already be there.
What does this have to do with a surging speedo?
Old 03-31-2022, 10:05 PM

With an evap leak you can throw a lot of parts at it for nothing. You could have a bad fitting line but try this. Pinch off the hose between the purge valve and the intake and see if it runs better.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:29 AM
geg

the wiring harness is a surprisingly expensive item,
before getting rid of it, it may be advisable to "ring" it with a multimeter
Old 04-01-2022, 08:00 AM
Technical Moderator

If you get a vent valve labelled "for 2006 HHR" you get the harness with it. The harness alone is available at parts stores.

This is what it looks like

Last edited by donbrew; 04-01-2022 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:05 AM
Administrator

That’s only required for the difference in the connector , cut the wires and solder in the connector to eliminate a loose connection. As we see in the screen shot I posted Dorman an Standard include the patch harness.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:11 AM
LMN

Originally Posted by donbrew
The "harness" in question is a short adapter that comes with the valve if you ask fort one for a 2006 HHR. GM changed the connector. As Oldblue said a previous owner may have3 already replaced the valve and the adapter might already be there.
What does this have to do with a surging speedo?
When i took it to the mechanic , he said the wiring harness may have a short or wiring problem or it could just be the connector going in or the connector coming out ... but i did have the 0449 code which makes me wonder if its just the EVAP that is causing they car to surge, hesitate, upon acceleration from a stop... and fluxuate as im driving ... ( its like its skipping gears, ) and at times i get a message on the dash that says ....engine power decreased .... and my car slows down to the point that i have no acceleration and i have to stop .. turn the car off and then start it again for this to fix
If it is the wiring harness that has to be replaced ... thats alot of money..(mechanic said.... over 1000.00).. for parts and labour ... im on a fixed income and if i can do the work myself i will ... but i dont have that kind of cash to put out ...

Quick Reply: Speedometer Surges, and Wiring harness