Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Help...My HHR pulls to the right, middle, And left...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 05:37 PM

Help...My HHR pulls to the right, middle, And left...

Hello everyone. I'm a huge HHR fan and own and have an unanswered problem...

In a nutshell, before I start - the tires, brakes, alignment, & steering column are fine. It's a 2007 HHR LT.

With that said, the car pulls 90% of the time to the right. It also pulls to the left about 7% of the time, and about 3% Dead-on. I've owned it a year and had a few mechanics look at it scratching their head. I've also tested the pull on many roads, the same roads, at different speeds. I hear a loud, plastic "strum/strum" sound almost like something was pulling on a thick, plastic guitar strings, then finally passing it enough for it to make a sound 1-3 times each corner turn... When it's pulling left (briefly), if I turn a corner, it's immediately pulling right again after the turn has completed. If it's briefly going perfectly straight, there again, it'll go back to pulling right when I turn a corner.

My best guess, is the traction control or the abs somehow? The best hint at the problem would be the sound I'm describingd but there again, the mechanics don't know. I have combed through the web for a couple weeks with no answer.

I'm really hoping the community here can help me! Love this car, but want my mpg as high as possible, sick of it wearing down my nice tires, as well as tired of pulling the wheel one way or another.

Thanks guys!!

PS...is it to late to get in the ignition recall? I caught that in my searches. There's been a couple times recently the car won't release my key, both stock and my replica key. I turned it on and off, and pulled it forward and back several times, and luckily the key came out ... Doesn't seem to need graphite, but I'm going to put some in even though I seriously doubt that's an issue.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Yes check with your local GM dealership.
pulling in different directions indicates a possible caster or camber adjustment, however a bad rear lower control arm bushing will cause that tracking issue
the pulling could also be steering rack is loose, mine was the input shaft to the rack.
my upper engine mount also was found to be the cause of a shake and slight pull .

Old 09-04-2018, 09:20 PM
Technical Moderator

Does the car have ABS and/or Traction Control?

Have the Lower Control Arms, tierod ends,ball joints and wheel bearings been inspected by a KNOWLEDGEABLE professional?

Tire wear? MPG?
Old 09-05-2018, 09:45 AM

Check your LCA