Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/drivetrain-excluding-engine-57/)
-   -   Built auto tranny? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/drivetrain-excluding-engine-57/built-auto-tranny-37651/)

asanti 10-12-2011 06:04 PM

Built auto tranny?

Just curious to see if anyone has built up the auto 4 speed tranny (4t5e is it??) in the HHR? I'm sure places like Level10 can do it, but just curious if anyone has had this type of upgrade done. My reason for asking is that our transmissions are rated to hold a max of 325 lb/tq IIRC. For any HHR SS owner looking to go big turbo in the future (or LT/LS owner planning on a supercharger upgrade), this is a limiting factor as a good tune and bolt-ons can put you beyond that quite quickly.

Later
Allex

EDIT: Same line of thought goes towards upgraded axles as well. Anyone?

843de 10-12-2011 06:24 PM

The folks at IPT claim to be able to build a 4T45E for more power handling capability, here's a link to their site.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/gmautofwd.shtml

No specs though on how much more power you can put down through one of their transmissions.

asanti 10-12-2011 09:41 PM

I had a bad experience with IPT when I bought a custom torque converter for my old car Mike. It was for my highly modded Neon with the 31TH 3 speed tranny. :(:thumbsdow The tranny blew within 500 miles of install, but IPT never wanted to claim responsibility, or even look at the converter. Not cool IMO.

2010SilverIceSS 10-12-2011 10:02 PM

PM SS Fan. He believe he found someone to build our autos, iirc. I wouldn't worry about the trans in till your pushing 375+fwhp. ZZP had a turbo swapped 2.4 auto that ran for an entire season racing and about 15,000 street miles before a teardown. No broken parts but just brunt clutches. You planning a turbo swap? ;)

Dave

foolmoon_design 10-13-2011 07:03 AM

Hey Alex,

Look at the older posts about LSD for the Auto.

You can get a Quaif LSD chunk from a company out of Atlanta for about $500

Then you can upgrade to red pressure plates.

Now I don't know if anyone sells any upgrades for routing the tranny fluid or increasing its pressure (raceways)

I'm pushing around 320/350 now. I hate it at the strip, as the right tire always seems to fade at the start.

I will be doing this upgrade eventually. I understand the idea of people who buy a new car, then spend several thousand more dollars immediately after purchase on bolt-ons, my mindset has always been to upgrade it when it wears out. Point being, I was going to throw pedders on the car in the spring, and replace the struts at the same time. The struts were still good, so I passed up lowering it for something else, until I need struts.

diskullman 10-13-2011 10:00 AM

http://www.gmtunersource.com/index.p...tec-build-book

4T65 racing trans

asanti 10-13-2011 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by 2010SilverIceSS (Post 594566)
PM SS Fan. He believe he found someone to build our autos, iirc. I wouldn't worry about the trans in till your pushing 375+fwhp. ZZP had a turbo swapped 2.4 auto that ran for an entire season racing and about 15,000 street miles before a teardown. No broken parts but just brunt clutches. You planning a turbo swap? ;)

Dave

That's good to hear then. I'd LIKE to eventually get a turbo swap so I'm getting as much info now as I can. Between the Werks K04+ upgrade to the 'coming soon' EFR hybrid ZZP's working on for the Cobalts there are a few options for what I'd be looking for: a true bolt on upgrade that uses the existing piping I already have. :twothumbs:

@ diskullman: is that adirect bolt-in replacement tranny for us w/ the 4 speed auto? Any differences between the 4T45E and this 4T65?

Thanks
Allex

prod 10-13-2011 01:09 PM

I always heard the 4t65 wouldnt fit the hhr/delta platform, which is why gm didnt put it in there in the first place.
GM did do a prototype strengthened version of the 4t45, powel motorsports got a hold of it and resold it. I guess gm decided it wasnt worth producing.

asanti 10-13-2011 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by prod (Post 594672)
I always heard the 4t65 wouldnt fit the hhr/delta platform, which is why gm didnt put it in there in the first place.
GM did do a prototype strengthened version of the 4t45, powel motorsports got a hold of it and resold it. I guess gm decided it wasnt worth producing.

Interesting info! Thanks, I'll follow up with John regarding this.

Later
Allex

got2boostit2 10-13-2011 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by diskullman (Post 594645)

Was just going to type this ^......more parts available and proven to hold hp/tq. Don't really need the "race" version. Just get any T65 and mod parts from some of the T65 suppliers. Granted NOT a bolt on (requires modification and tuning). But if I were looking to go big numbers with our engine, T65e hands down.

If you could see the dinky clutch baskets and final drive gears in the T45 you would agree with me on this one. (former T65e/T80e service engineer).