Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Can I adjust my clutch takeup point?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 AM

Can I adjust my clutch takeup point?

Hi,

I've got an '08 SS with a 5MT, and my clutch grabs waaay down by the floor. Too low. Can I adjust this so it's a bit higher? I searched, but didn't find anything on here.

On my last car there was a mechanical pedal travel adjustment, and for something like this, I would probably bleed the hydraulic clutch, maybe replacing all the fluid. Is this car essentially the same? I'd rather know what I'm doing before taking apart. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Former Sponsor

I think ZZP makes an adjustable clutch rod for this?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Deceased

In a word "no", a grabbing clutch can be the symptom of some serious issues including a leaking rear main seal, faulty engine mounts, sticking clutch pedal, a binding clutch master cylinder or actuator, binding clutch disc on the input shaft, a damaged pressure plate, etc.

If you can PM me your e-mail address I'll gladly send you the clutch section of the 2008 HHR SS repair manual supplement.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a hydraulic issue. Just enough to disengage, then engage is right off the floor. Check for leaks or seepage. Clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder(actuator?) would be my guess.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Well, it's not slipping, so some of those things don't seem likely. It just seems like it catches way too close to the floor, but it functions fine otherwise. I was hoping for something I could address versus a trip to the dealer. I'll look around a bit more, and see if something turns up.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

I've worked on many clutches in the past in all types of vehicles. Your description sure sounds like something in the hydraulic system. If you truly understand the mechanical parts of this system then read my above post.
Also I didn't see anyone refer to a slipping clutch. The hydraulic system doesn't usually cause the clutch to slip. Total hydraulic failure would mean you could not disengage the clutch. Sounds like you have partial failure of the system that has just enough pedal travel to still disengage(barely).
Old 09-13-2011, 06:31 AM

Well, I noticed the pedal was staying low last night on the way home, so I lifted it up with my toe, and it kind of thumped and came way up. I pumped it a couple of times (all this while rolling along) and it now seems fine again. Very strange, and I'll have to look at it some time when I have more daylight to do so. It kind of seems like the pedal linkage got bound up somehow, and the reduced stroke was causing the issue.

I realize no one said anything about slipping, but sizable leaks can cause that. I didn't see evidence of a leak, and it now seems to be back to normal.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:51 AM

It could be air in the system I'll would flush the clutch fluid and see if it get rids of the problem. If not the throw out bearing starting to go out. I'll would also look for a clutch if that the case.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:28 PM

I'll let you know how mine turns out. My SS is doing the same thing as yours catches way to close to the floor and will not pop all the way back up at times and have to pull it back with my foot. I was told it was something wrong with the hydraulics so I'm having a new slave and master cylinder installed today also having a Spec 3+ clutch put in at the same time. They have it apart but see no leaks but will have to wait and see if it corrected the problem.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:11 AM

Mine is still normal after these 9 or so days. I'm suspicious, though, that there's something else going on as well.

Quick Reply: Can I adjust my clutch takeup point?