Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Which CV Axle brand to use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:25 AM

Well the conclusion to the saga of the Gregg Shake concluded yesterday. As I suspected, the problem is with the new Sumitomo tires I got in 09/2016. I've been in and out of the tire shop having them balanced over and over and over. I even watched them 0 out on the machine twice. After each visit, the shake seemed to be somewhat better, but always got worse again after a while. Luckily, all the parts I have replaced over the past year to try and remedy them are prone to failure or needed to be replaced anyway (Brakes, LCA's, Steering rack, struts/shocks, etc.). I am now fighting with both Tire Kingdom and Sumitomo to have them replaced. Initial offer from sumitomo was to prorate them for a new set, which would cost me nearly 300 dollars, claiming that "too many miles are on them to warranty them fully" even though they were installed 09/20/2016 and I have been complaining of a shake since 09/29/2016. I am working with a different Tire Kingdom who are willing to start with a visual check of the tire and re balance them for a base, but of course they say they will them have to "rotate them back and forth and go on various test drives, them determine whether or not it is a problem with a worn part on the car." I honestly dont know what I want to do. I could keep fighting, but unless they warranty them fully then there isnt any point. I am going to have them spin and visually check the tire tomorrow, and if there is no visual hop or runout in the tire, I have a nasty feeling they will spend hours test driving, rotating, and "checking" components on the car and magically find something is broken, or will offer me the same prorate I got in the first place. What a MESS. Good news is that, in the first time in over a year, my morning commute was SHAKE FREE thanks to a new set of Firestones on the front, installed by a different shop.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:00 PM

Avoid that business in the future, and, if you like, mount an internet campaign against them.

It's either their fault for bad balance/calibration of the balancer (most likely), or defective tires that slipped a belt or something...

Chassis Warranty guy for another OEM speaking...
Old 11-29-2017, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
Avoid that business in the future, and, if you like, mount an internet campaign against them.

It's either their fault for bad balance/calibration of the balancer (most likely), or defective tires that slipped a belt or something...

Chassis Warranty guy for another OEM speaking...
I had been trying to get my two newer sumitomo tires warranties out as they have visible lateral runout, but according to sumitomo I have driven too far to get a full warranty. I've since just put them on the back of Gregg to die, where they do give a hint of body vibration but not enough to warrant bringing it to the tire shop. The Firestone fuel fighters I got were a good price and have been treating me well. When the sumitomos need changing I'll buy another pair and go back to the same tires plus. I'm done with tire kingdom. I still couldn't believe that tire kingdom and sumitomo are owned by the same corporation! No wonder they up sold me on them then fail to warranty them when defective!
Old 11-29-2017, 08:25 PM
Technical Moderator

Tire Kingdom owns several other tire retail stores; Merchant's, NTB, NTW, Big O , Midas, Carroll tire, and some others I think.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:28 PM

It's the owner of that site, and not the franchise that is lacking. Like I said, find someone else.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Indeed I did I went to Tires Plus and service was better and twice as fast Two tires installed in 30 minutes
Old 12-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Technical Moderator

We have a NTB directly across the street from a Merchant's; the difference is night and day. I don't like either for different reasons, but I have problems with the local Firestone and Mr. Tire too.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:14 PM

I just dont like any tire shop in general because mounting and balancing tires is the only thing I cant do to Gregg myself, and of course they also muff something up and dont stand behind there work or product!
Old 12-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Administrator

I’ve purchased my tires for the HHR last four sets and the Sunfire GT last two sets at my local GM dealership, fast , great job, lowest price.
But these guys are car guys, and I’ve known most of them since they were in diapers and their parents since grade school. So, ok they spoil me pretty good!
Old 12-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Technical Moderator

I was getting closer to getting a Harbor Freight tire machine and balancer after my last few interactions.

The problem is making a base for the machine. It is more involved than it seems.

Quick Reply: Which CV Axle brand to use?