Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

CV Axle or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Loose bolts will cause a rattle, check the torque on the LCA rear bolts, the 2 front LCA bushing bolts , the strut bolts , check the pinch bolts for the ball joints.
Check the strut mounting bolts and the strut nut , I’ve seen all these loosen up or they were just spun on with an air gun and not torqued correctly
My steering rack input shaft was worn , it would rattle, as I mentioned before my upper engine mount also was making noise an causing a shake in the front end.
Thanks Oldblue.

I will be checking all and tighen anything loose.

I do notice that the rattle is felt thru the steering wheel.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Check the axle nuts, they are a 30mm torque to 155ft/lbs
Check the steering rack mounting bolts they are 18mm torque to 81 ft/lbs
Check the intermediate shaft yokes pinch bolts 13 mm torque to 25 ft/lbs

Here are many more torque values

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...e-items-54648/

I just set my click torque wrench to the desired value and tighten the fastener until it clicks, if it moved then it wasn’t tightened correctly!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:36 AM

Check the axle nuts, they are a 30mm torque to 155ft/lbs
Check the steering rack mounting bolts they are 18mm torque to 81 ft/lbs
Check the intermediate shaft yokes pinch bolts 13 mm torque to 25 ft/lbs

Here are many more torque values

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...e-items-54648/

I just set my click torque wrench to the desired value and tighten the fastener until it clicks, if it moved then it wasn’t tightened correctly!
Thanks Oldblue.

Really like the car but I think I might need to replace the column.

I was going thru some old docs and noticed that GM advised the repair to be done again but this time the owner had declined.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Did you spray WD40 there to? I thought you had tested a few places and the noise disappeared
Old 10-20-2017, 11:00 AM

Did you spray WD40 there to? I thought you had tested a few places and the noise disappeared
Sorry, have been out due to my Father being in the hospital.

What I do get is that when I turn the wheel, I get a pop in the steering like when a joint pops.

I have been reading and it seems the 2007 models had inferior i-shafts.

I had my son turn the wheel while was holding the I-shaft joint. All I felt was popping and felt the shaft move very little, nothing very noticeable.

I tried testing per the TSB by removing the fuse and taking it for a spin and the rattle is still present.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Technical Moderator

Is the car new to you? Is the noise new?

There was a time a ,few years ago, that replacement Monroe "complete struts" had the incorrect springs on them. The complaint was a noise when the spring hit something.

I think it was Cobalt springs they were using. at the time, evidently HHR springs would work on Cobalts but not the other way.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:38 PM
Administrator

The intermediate shaft or the steering column, yes the intermediate shaft can have some issues, fairly easy to change.

STEERING - INTERMEDIATE SHAFT KIT -
- GM - 25834100 - 3 piece shaft kit, including the two universals

Torque both intermediate shaft yoke pinch bolts - 25 ft/lbs
Old 10-24-2017, 10:14 AM

Thanks again to everyone.

I will check for tightness this weekend and will advise but I wanted to know, has anyone taken the interior parts of the intermediate shaft and move the steering wheel to see if the column rattled?

I want to do this but have not read where anyone used this method to see if the column rattled when disconnected.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:11 PM
Administrator

I checked mine while I had the intermediate shaft out . I did not turn the wheel, simply shook the wheel up and down ,then side to side.
Then same with the splined end which is straight out of the EPS motor, so it didn’t move.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:53 AM

I checked mine while I had the intermediate shaft out . I did not turn the wheel, simply shook the wheel up and down ,then side to side.
Then same with the splined end which is straight out of the EPS motor, so it didn’t move.
Thanks Oldblue.

I removed the i-shaft and did the test you mentioned and I had the infamous column rattle.

I checked the i-shaft to see if anything was loose and nothing seemed to pop or move so it is definitely steering column that needs to be replaced.

Latest quote I got was $800 from my local dealer. Take it in and get it back the same day per the service tech.

Looks like I will have to wait on that. Will there be any issues other than the annoying rattle?

Quick Reply: CV Axle or not?