Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

CV Axle or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:43 PM

CV Axle or not? -Rattle still there after sway bar links.

Hello All,

I have been reading several posts regarding front end rattles for the HHR but all have different information that I cannot relate to my issue.

I have a 2007 LS that I have been hunting down the source of a rattle felt in the steering wheel when going over uneven roads or potholes.

I checked the balljoints prior to putting on jack stands using the crow bar method of lifting and there was no clunking or loose movement.

I went thru the car on both sides by putting the car on jack stands to remove load from front wheels and found that the driver outer tie rod was super loose so I replaced both and check the inners for any play and they were solid. I checked the sway bar bushing but they seemed ok, no cracks or lose within the brackets.

Checked all others and nothing was loose of able to wiggle by hand to recreate the noise.

I checked the cv axle on driver side and it had a bit of play. Was able to move and down. This was the closest to the tranny.

I went to a big brand shop and they quoted me $1600 to replaced the whole front end plus the axles which I thought was outrageous since most of the parts were replaced by previous owner before lowering the car.

Now, would loose cv axles transmit rattles through the steering column going over bumps? I also did hear a slight clicking this morning when turning right but it was very faint.

Sorry for the long post but I would like to not spend money not necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by BERNS; 10-16-2017 at 11:25 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-02-2017, 12:55 PM
Technical Moderator

Clicking in turns is a tell-tale of bad CV. What about the Lower Control Arm bushings, sway bar links, strut bearings, wheel bearings, steering intermediate shaft.

I suspect that "whole front end" means Lower Control Arm assemblies; includes both bushings and the ball joints, add axles; not a bad price.

There is a link in my sig on how to isolate clunks and rattles.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:32 PM
Administrator

A bad upper engine mount can cause that same symptom
Old 10-03-2017, 08:46 AM

The CV axles have a TAD bit of play when healthy at the transmission. They need to be able to move a bit with the up and down movement of the car. I'd say X2 on the ISS
Old 10-03-2017, 04:24 PM

Thanks to all that responded.

I had one of the suspension Techs at work check the suspension out and found no loose parts or bushings needing replacement.

I also talked to co worker who I bought it from and he mentioned he took it in for a few things, one being the sway bar bushings, the steering column but he never changed out the sway bar links.

I am going to change them out to see if that cures my problem.

I remember that I had the same issue on my Trailblazer which was diagnosed as motor mounts and when I changed them out it still had the rattle. It was not until I lifted the vehicle and remove the links to change out the sway bar that it became apparent that the end links were all loose.

Changed the links and the rattling went away.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:09 PM

Glad you got 'er fixed. Yeah the links are often the first parts to go bad. Make sure you got the 10" ones, not 12".
Old 10-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Moog K750012 are the correct length and greasable

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/comm...-part-i-48833/
Old 10-04-2017, 10:21 AM

Thanks again to all.

Yeah, on order and waiting to get in to replace.

I will keep you all posted.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:27 AM

So I just did the sway bar links and the rattle is still there. I checked the sway bar by shaking it and the bushing are still good. No clunks.

Going to have to inspect everything again.

Would a wheel bearing cause any rattle?
Old 10-16-2017, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Loose bolts will cause a rattle, check the torque on the LCA rear bolts, the 2 front LCA bushing bolts , the strut bolts , check the pinch bolts for the ball joints.
Check the strut mounting bolts and the strut nut , I’ve seen all these loosen up or they were just spun on with an air gun and not torqued correctly
My steering rack input shaft was worn , it would rattle, as I mentioned before my upper engine mount also was making noise an causing a shake in the front end.

Quick Reply: CV Axle or not?