Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

How do you know when a clutch needs replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:02 PM

How do you know when a clutch needs replaced?

I've had several manuals now, but I haven't had any that I've had to put a clutch on (never had one long enough). Pete is in his mid 80k's now, which I know on the lancer forums for my old car is when people started to seem to need to clutches.

How do I know it needs one? I know if it totally goes, you can't shift, or at least you can put it in one gear at a stop and then stay in that gear, sort of thing. I know the clutch in the HHR SS manual feels sort of odd anyway, so I'm having a hard time telling if I'm feeling clutch eccentricities, or I need a new one. I don't think it feels substantially different then when I got it 10k miles ago, but for all I know, it needed one then, too.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

That's a good question, I have a auto, so, all I have read is, folks that have used one called a spec3 works good. I would think with that power and those miles the original has done well already.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:20 PM

122k on mine and no issues what-so-ever. My old Saturn had 160k when I did it and it had some life left. Shouldn't need to do yours for quiet some time, IMO
Old 09-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Deceased

The best way to diagnose a slipping clutch was taught to me by an old mechanic years ago. Find a hill, shift into whichever gear is 1 to 1 direct drive, which should be 4th on an HHR, head up the hill and back off the throttle abruptly...then nail the gas. If the clutch is slipping and starting to "go" on you, this will show it up pretty quick.

Now if you're losing a throwout bearing or are having a problem with a slave cylinder you'll have the symptoms of being "stuck" in gear or hard shifting.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 PM

well mine sometimes just doesnt want to go into first, i have to put it into second and then into first and it goes in. what does that mean?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 PM

I've had that one or twice, ChevyGuy. It also seems like when I'm in third, I put the clutch in, and about .0000001 ounces of pressure pops it out of gear. And sometimes it seems a bit finicky to get it into gear, but it sounds like that's just the way the SS tranny is. It just struck me today that the mileage was about where I had seen people talking about replacements, so I figured I'd see what people thought.

I live in a pretty hilly town. I'll have to see about that hill trick.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:14 AM

im down in southern florida and the only hill is a landfill 10 miles from me. alright well its reassuring knowing that im not the only one thinking there is something wrong, a couple of my friends say that the clutch reservoir might be a little low or there is a air bubble or something in the system. im going to the dealership some time in the next week or two so i think i will mention it but i dont think im going to get anywhere because none of those guys at the dealership know anything about this car. you guys know more than anyone at the dealerships
Old 09-09-2011, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by havoc3d
I've had that one or twice, ChevyGuy. It also seems like when I'm in third, I put the clutch in, and about .0000001 ounces of pressure pops it out of gear. And sometimes it seems a bit finicky to get it into gear, but it sounds like that's just the way the SS tranny is. It just struck me today that the mileage was about where I had seen people talking about replacements, so I figured I'd see what people thought.

I live in a pretty hilly town. I'll have to see about that hill trick.
Popping out of gear? Synchros. You have more issues than just a clutch.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ChevyGuySS
im down in southern florida and the only hill is a landfill 10 miles from me. alright well its reassuring knowing that im not the only one thinking there is something wrong, a couple of my friends say that the clutch reservoir might be a little low or there is a air bubble or something in the system. im going to the dealership some time in the next week or two so i think i will mention it but i dont think im going to get anywhere because none of those guys at the dealership know anything about this car. you guys know more than anyone at the dealerships
You can test for clutch slipping on level ground as well.. Just do as 843 stated, if motor revs up in gear & car is not accelerating accordingly, it's likely slipping. This may (at times) be accompanied by a burnt smell..

The Juice clutch reservior is in same container as master clyinder.. fwiw.

Starting to be difficult to put into 1st gear from a dead stop can be the slave cylinder going bad.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by nacademus
Popping out of gear? Synchros. You have more issues than just a clutch.
It's not really popping out of gear. Just in 3rd, once the clutch is in, it will very easily come out of gear.

After this thread it's sounding like I'm probably fine, and it's just the odd tranny in this thing. I was curious based on the mileage more than anything.

Quick Reply: How do you know when a clutch needs replaced?