Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Kevlar or Ceramic Clutch for Daily Driver

Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 PM

Kevlar or Ceramic Clutch for Daily Driver

I have an idea of the pressure pounds and HP limits I need, but I can't get a straight answer from reading articles or threads. Every thread on the subject I've found turns into a screaming match and the few sites that actually go through the types in detail contradict one another or just don't give a straight answer.

Opinions? Experiences? Whatever.

I'm grabbing my turbo kit from ZZP so I'd like to give them the biz, here is what they suggested for my build but I'm not sure which is best for a daily. They said stage 2 kit which would be the kevlar, but I'm not sure if they took into consideration the DD part.

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...-for-2-4L.aspx
Old 04-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Holy spendy! Get the ky stage 2 same disc setup/material, ky pressure plate is a higher clamp load also. Save yourself some $$$ get he KY stage 2, which will be a good kit or your setup.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Holy spendy! Get the ky stage 2 same disc setup/material, ky pressure plate is a higher clamp load also. Save yourself some $$$ get he KY stage 2, which will be a good kit or your setup.
lol Yes. But those prices include a flywheel and all bolt-ons.

What can you do for me in a ky stage 2 with a lightweight fly?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:02 PM

I think you should go with Aaron on this one.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by silverstreet
lol Yes. But those prices include a flywheel and all bolt-ons.

What can you do for me in a ky stage 2 with a lightweight fly?
Re use the stock bolts, even if you had to get them new they would be $5-10 value.

We recommend the stock flwyheel (new from GM or resurfaced is fine), but if you wanted the Fidanza or Exedy you can order that. Prices are on our site... Most do NOT use light flywheels, they are not great for daily drivers as initial stop sign starts are a killer.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Re use the stock bolts, even if you had to get them new they would be $5-10 value.

We recommend the stock flwyheel (new from GM or resurfaced is fine), but if you wanted the Fidanza or Exedy you can order that. Prices are on our site... Most do NOT use light flywheels, they are not great for daily drivers as initial stop sign starts are a killer.
Leave it to a Minnesotan to talk one out of buying something from them. lol

I just contacted my mechanic and he can bring flywheel over to machine shop for resurface same day for around 50. Good stuff. Saved me 300 so now I suppose I have to grab a clutch from you.

Thanks Aaron. I will be ordering one up today most likely. My concerns were slippage and drive-ability as a daily, sounds as if ky is the closest happy medium.

I was researching the lightweights and I was coming to the conclusion they were not necessary but not sure if I would of made the decision I did now without you and hhrfreek advice.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:13 PM

I have the KY Stage 3 in mine that I got from TTR (Thanks Aaron). It is great. Perfect on the street. I really can't tell much of a difference from the stock clutch as far as pedal feel.

I have over 10K on mine since last fall and it holds up really well. Never slips.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by silverstreet
Leave it to a Minnesotan to talk one out of buying something from them. lol

I just contacted my mechanic and he can bring flywheel over to machine shop for resurface same day for around 50. Good stuff. Saved me 300 so now I suppose I have to grab a clutch from you.

Thanks Aaron. I will be ordering one up today most likely. My concerns were slippage and drive-ability as a daily, sounds as if ky is the closest happy medium.

I was researching the lightweights and I was coming to the conclusion they were not necessary but not sure if I would of made the decision I did now without you and hhrfreek advice.
Thanks!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by JAXFL_SS
I have the KY Stage 3 in mine that I got from TTR (Thanks Aaron). It is great. Perfect on the street. I really can't tell much of a difference from the stock clutch as far as pedal feel.

I have over 10K on mine since last fall and it holds up really well. Never slips.
What are your HP and Torque numbers that you'd need a stage 3? Just wondering as I'm hoping to do minimum of 340 whp hopefully more and the stage 3 is only a few bucks more. So if it's well drivable on the streets no point in not moving up a stage, or is there?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Former Sponsor

If you are at the level, or want to be, get the stage 3. You will also put less stress on it, as it is capable of holding more. You never want to run a clutch to its limits, it wont last as long.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kevlar or Ceramic Clutch for Daily Driver