Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/drivetrain-excluding-engine-57/)
-   -   Key Will not turn off.. shifter or ign switch??? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/drivetrain-excluding-engine-57/key-will-not-turn-off-shifter-ign-switch-46963/)

floridamisfit 07-07-2013 09:04 AM

Key Will not turn off.. shifter or ign switch???

So, the 2009 HHR will not turn off. I read about the shifter switch and assumed that was it. Here is my question, though. When I push the plunger for the key release it does not release the key to turn. I pulled a fuse and the battery to shut it off. so the question is is it the shifter switch or is it the ignition switch??? the fact that the key wont release is confusing me.....

donbrew 07-07-2013 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by floridamisfit (Post 711867)
So, the 2009 HHR will not turn off. I read about the shifter switch and assumed that was it. Here is my question, though. When I push the plunger for the key release it does not release the key to turn. I pulled a fuse and the battery to shut it off. so the question is is it the shifter switch or is it the ignition switch??? the fact that the key wont release is confusing me.....

They are connected by a relay interlock. You never can remove the key unless the trans is in park or neutral, and the shifter switch is what tells the car that it is ok to release the key.

Silverfox 07-07-2013 10:41 AM

Give the shift knob and hard wack and look to see if the button on the front is completely sticking out. Press the button in and out a couple times and then try to turn the key all the way off and take out the key.
Thats what my Chevy tech did to get mine to work and then ordered a new shifter mechanizm.

floridamisfit 07-07-2013 10:58 AM

ok thanks guys. just wanted to make sure before I drop the $$$ on a shifter

prod 07-07-2013 11:14 AM

Sounds exactly like mine, and it was the ignition cylinder.

Silverfox 07-07-2013 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by prod (Post 711886)

I'm not sure about this but my service dept mngr. told me that there are 2 components to this problem aside from the shifter issues.

1. The ignition switch

2. The ignition lock mechanism

Both are actuated when you put the key in the ignition switch but they have different functions.

I can only assume they might be integrated into one replacement part but it sounded like they were dealt with separately for warranty.

SF

floridamisfit 07-07-2013 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by prod (Post 711886)

did you fix it yourself??? is there a way to test the ign cylinder???

ChevroletCustomerService 07-08-2013 09:37 PM

I want to definitely look into your concern for you. Please private message me your name, address, phone number, vehicle identification number, and current mileage.

Thank you,

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care

prod 07-09-2013 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by floridamisfit (Post 711896)
did you fix it yourself??? is there a way to test the ign cylinder???

Nope, its a known issue fixed by dealer. I was in and out in 45 minutes.