Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/drivetrain-excluding-engine-57/)
-   -   Manual Trans Axle removal (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/drivetrain-excluding-engine-57/manual-trans-axle-removal-49199/)

OldSchool57 01-15-2014 07:40 AM

Manual Trans Axle removal

I have a maunal 5spd trans and was wondering how the axle shafts are removed from the transmission end. I have replaced my front wheel bearings and that was very easy so removing the wheel hub end of the axle shaft is not the problem. When I had the wheel hub end disconnected I was going to remove the drive shafts and replace the transmission seals but I could not see how they are removed from the trans? I could not see any bolts or a flange like are on a lot of older FWD cars. I have replaced the shafts on my old VW rabbit and it was pretty simple but it looks like these may be pressed on? Any info is appreciated.

donbrew 01-15-2014 09:51 AM

You just remove the outside parts like changing hubs. Then get some sort of pry bar between the inner end and the trans case, give it a sharp whack.

firemangeorge 01-15-2014 12:09 PM

donbrew. For my own curiousity, do the axles have those "pinch" type C clips on the splines?
I recall back in my mechanic days, cussing at those little clips they used on different brands of front wheel drive axles.
Never could figure how that little C clip could cause so much frustation when pulling the axles.:lol:

Lucky 01-15-2014 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They just fit into the trans with a snap type ring. There is a special tool for it. It work like a slide hammer but as don said a pry bar and a quick snap will work as well.

OldSchool57 01-15-2014 12:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I thought that was how they would come off but I wanted to ask before I started prying or pulling on things.

prod 01-15-2014 12:21 PM

Just be careful putting them back in, I've heard that is the tricky part.

donbrew 01-15-2014 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by prod (Post 732581)
Just be careful putting them back in, I've heard that is the tricky part.

Not really that tricky. Just be careful when guiding the splines in through the seal. GM wants you to use spline covers, waste of effort and money.

Do not pull on the axle!!!! The inner end is a slip joint, you can screw it up.

I think the manual may be different, but the auto has an extension on the passenger(?) side that is a challenge to remove.

OldSchool57 01-16-2014 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 732612)
Not really that tricky. Just be careful when guiding the splines in through the seal. GM wants you to use spline covers, waste of effort and money.

Do not pull on the axle!!!! The inner end is a slip joint, you can screw it up.

I think the manual may be different, but the auto has an extension on the passenger(?) side that is a challenge to remove.

Don, You said "Do not pull on the Axle". I assume the proper way to remove it will be to use a pry bar and pry between the trans and inner slip joint? Correct?

donbrew 01-16-2014 11:16 AM

Don't pull on the axle SHAFT, just the inner "can" looking part.

And, yes between the slip joint and the case.

You should remove the strut from the knuckle, the CV does not always fit through the knuckle.