Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Shift Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 01:56 PM

Well, the parts came yesterday.

However, I got the stomach bug that had been through 5 other family members the past week.

I was still able to get the 4 solenoids replaced in the valve body. It took all of a few minutes.

The only part left to replace is the large pressure switch, which has to be unbolted. Then it's reassembly time.

It hasn't leaked, but I am thinking I should replace the axle seal since the cover is off.

Also, the service manual recommends erasing the Transmission Adaptive Parameters that it has learned so it can relearn the new parts. This has to be done using the scan tool I don't have so I may have to take it somewhere after I am finished.

Steve
Old 02-07-2019, 03:06 PM

Steve
If your loose (you know what I mean) do to the flu, eat scrambled eggs and rice, it will bind you up. Hope you are starting to feel better.
Richie
Old 02-07-2019, 03:17 PM

Yes, that's the main symptom I am having. It has improved quite a bit thankfully.

Here is a picture showing what's what concerning the electrical parts:

The 2-3 Shift Solenoid that I removed showed about 4 ohms instead of the required range of 19-31 ohms. This means it was drawing at least 5 times the normal current, which resulted in the plastic surrounding the coil melting.

Steve
Old 02-07-2019, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Glad , I didn’t come over to your house , Steve.
We would have that job done , but I don’t have much resistance to the sickly stomach stuff!
great info in the “binders” Cat man
Old 02-08-2019, 10:10 AM

FastSuv, great thread, feel better and keep posting the terrific and informative information.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:30 AM

Yesterday I was close to feeling normal, so I went back to reassembly.

This is what I did:

1) Put side cover back on trans.
2) Raised trans until I bolted the side mount back on. Note the side mount actually attaches to the cover, not the trans body.
3) Raised the subframe until the front and rear trans mounts lined up and bolted them back on. While raising subframe you must align and attach steering shaft, and make sure radiator locating pegs go into rubber grommets in subframe.
4) Dropped the trans bottom pan to change the filter. A messy job because pan shape makes it larger than any drain pan I had. I used donbrews idea(in an old trans fluid thread) about using a mortar mixing pan, which I had).
5) Put in new filter, gasket, and reattached pan. The fluid was somewhat dark, but not burnt. There were no particles in the pan. There was only a bit of fine powder on the magnet. This trans has 200K miles on it. I was skeptical of GM's recommendation to not change the fluid regularly (except for extreme conditions) but this seems to vindicate them.

This weekend I hope to finish assembly and fill the trans. I also took more pictures for a how-to.

I wanted to change the axle seal, but the AT (unlike my 5-speed) doesn't seal to the axle. There is a pressed-on cup on the output shaft that the seal presses against. This requires a special tool to remove and put on, so I skipped replacing it. It can be done with the tool without removing the cover, so I can do it another time if it leaks.

The only question mark, when everything is assembled, is the transmission adaptive data erase. This will have to be done by a garage with the proper tool. I wonder how it will drive with the old adaptive data?

Steve
Old 02-08-2019, 02:53 PM

Here's some more pictures:

Front Trans Mount disconnected at through-bolt:

Rear Trans Mount disconnected at 3 bolts that go through the subframe:

This is what the side cover looks like inside:

Old 02-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Here are pictures during reassembly:

As you jack up the subframe here are some points to watch out for:

Make sure the plastic peg sticking down from the radiator is going inside the rubber bushing in the subframe:

As the subframe goes up, make sure the steering shaft slides into the rack shaft:

In general, make sure no wires/hoses/parts are getting pinched as you raise the subframe back up.

When you jack the transmission up, look for alignment at the left transmission mount (the one just above the driver side wheel well):

After that, hook up the two other trans mounts.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:05 PM

After the subframe was raised up fully and bolted back (with the transmission attached to it) I dropped the bottom pan and changed the filter.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Inside of bottom pan:

Inside of trans with bottom pan removed, looking up into trans:

Old 02-09-2019, 12:10 PM

Well, I put everything else back together this morning and added the 7 quarts of NAPA Dexron VI fluid.

Took it for a test drive a few minutes ago and everything is working fine. No codes and the tranny is shifting nicely.

Steve

Quick Reply: Shift Solenoid