Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Shift Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 03:19 AM

Yes i removed the bolt completely i think in the first picture you can see its gone it doesn't come off the shaft by it self with the bolt removed when you jack the trans up? i got the cover off but it was a real hard to get off im real concerned about getting it back in i'll get- back with ya when i work on it some more monday
Old 07-08-2019, 05:08 AM

On my HHR, the steering shaft joint did not pull apart by itself when the bolt was removed. There was enough corrosion to keep it tightly together. I used a long rod and hammer from below to tap the bottom edge of the upper part of the joint (the intermediate shaft end) to drive it out. Once it starts moving it should slide apart OK.

Steve
Old 07-08-2019, 09:21 AM

You think that's causing the sub-frame problem? i turned the steering slightly on the passenger side so i hope that didn't change the shaft position and no i didn't mark the shaft before that was turned. i'm not sure if the shaft ever came out of the sleeve completely i think it moved up and down but since i didnt mark it will it fall back in place? looks like theirs a flat part on the staft
Old 07-08-2019, 11:17 AM

If the shaft is stuck in the joint, the subframe won't drop far enough.

There is a flat on the shaft, but if I remember correctly there were two flats 180 degrees apart, so you could put it back 180 degrees out, but if you didn't pull the shaft out, it can't rotate within the joint until the joint is almost fully apart.

Steve
Old 07-08-2019, 11:27 AM

One other possibility, I don't remember if I did or not. The sway bar is connected to the subframe with bushings in 2 places. I know you disconnected the sway bar link at the driver side strut, but you may have to disconnect it at the passenger side also. I don't know if the sway bar being connected at the passenger side would hold up the subframe. You might try disconnecting the sway bar link on the passenger side.

One other VERY important point. The radiator sits on top of the subframe. There are 2 plastic pegs molded into the bottom of the radiator which fit into two rubber grommets in the subframe. I used a bungee cord to hold the radiator to the upper bracket on top of the radiator to keep the radiator from falling down before dropping the subframe fully. When you reassemble everything, make sure the two radiator pegs are going into the holes in the subframe or you will break it off.

Steve
Old 07-08-2019, 11:35 AM

i have both sway links unhooked
Old 07-08-2019, 12:40 PM

Besides the four bolts holding the subframe to the car, the only items bolted to the subframe are:

1) Front lower control arm bushing (both sides) - only need to remove on driver side
2) Sway bar bushings (2 places) - since you disconnected the links at both sides, this should be free to drop
3) Steering Rack - need to disconnect at intermediate shaft to steering rack input joint
4) Front lower engine mount Behind radiator)
5) Rear lower engine mount (steering rack area)

If all of these are removed, then it must be the steering shaft connection to the steering rack.

Steve
Old 08-15-2019, 08:42 PM

Changed 4 solenoids car wont shift out of 1st now

Originally Posted by fastsuv
Well, the parts came yesterday.

However, I got the stomach bug that had been through 5 other family members the past week.

I was still able to get the 4 solenoids replaced in the valve body. It took all of a few minutes.

The only part left to replace is the large pressure switch, which has to be unbolted. Then it's reassembly time.

It hasn't leaked, but I am thinking I should replace the axle seal since the cover is off.

Also, the service manual recommends erasing the Transmission Adaptive Parameters that it has learned so it can relearn the new parts. This has to be done using the scan tool I don't have so I may have to take it somewhere after I am finished.

Steve
Hey Steve my 06 HHR was doing and coding same as yours. I had a mechanic change all 4 SOLENOIDS and after putting it all back together the car now won't shift out of first gear. Now the codes are reading the other 3 solenoids that didn't need replacing before. The one that coded originally is not coding but the other 3 are PLEASE HELP. I'm at my wit's end with this car. My son's college car and back to school is Saturday.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Ybic Ruben
Hey Steve my 06 HHR was doing and coding same as yours. I had a mechanic change all 4 SOLENOIDS and after putting it all back together the car now won't shift out of first gear. Now the codes are reading the other 3 solenoids that didn't need replacing before. The one that coded originally is not coding but the other 3 are PLEASE HELP. I'm at my wit's end with this car. My son's college car and back to school is Saturday.
It likely would be much better to keep the details of your transmission problems to a SINGLE thread. Perhaps ask Steve to check into your other transmission thread to see if he can offer some suggestions.

Also - you mention codes 4 times, yet you did not once mention what those codes are.
You being an IT person of all people should now that the codes are absolutely necessary - just like IT related error messages and codes are needed to resolve IT problems.

Oh never mind - just continue posting what you like - I JUST saw your comments in your original transmission thread to Don who was really really trying to help you out.

I think your son is going to be taking the bus.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:10 PM

Shift solenoid question

Hello all, I am finally joining the site after reading it for some time now. This is an epic thread and certainly deserved becoming a sticky. I have just completed this on my 2011. Much like the last guy (his issue, not attitude ) I have a transmission that wants to go forward in all shift positions. It shifted fine before repair. I had the P0700 and P0842 combo plate. I decided to replace the pressure switch manifold, pressure control solenoid, and both shift solenoids. I also replaced the trans pan and filter. My question is; does anyone think I may have reversed the plugs between the two solenoids? I have checked all of my external connections and fluid level. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Shift Solenoid