Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Starter? Maybe...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 09:41 AM

Starter? Maybe...?

Hey Folks,

I have used this site for reference for my hhr probably no less than a couple hundred times. for all types of issues.

For this instance I cannot seem to find what I am looking for regarding knowledge on this particular starter issue, if it is indeed even a starter related issue.

So, I arrive at my local hardware store and seem to notice a slight vibration, these cars hum and rattle anyway so i didnt pay much attention to it. But i did notice that it was a "different" kind of noise. Not just the noises that ive become used to hearing choke and puke outta this thing.

Im finished shopping and go out to realize that my car will not start. But its not the kind of dead that a jumpstart will fix. In fact as long as i have the key turned to " start" there is this GOD AWFUL sound that I can only imagine is the sound of 2 big metal wrenches slapping together. 3 times i turned the key to start it and all three times there were 5 loud bangs and then it quits.

It doesnt seem to be anything internal motor related because as far as i can tell the engine isnt actually cranking? or turning over? IDK..

Im clueless on this and would greatly appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2014, 10:12 AM
Technical Moderator

Sounds like starter, hopefully not flywheel.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

Open the hood and watch to see if the engine is turning over when you attempt to start it. If it doesn't turn over, then it is the starter or flywheel.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:27 PM

Id say starter. Especially with the clanks upon turning the key. I had a 79 mustang and the flywheel went out on that, but when I tried to start it there was no clanks. It would turn over, just not fire. Could be different on the cars. Wouldn't a starter throw a code?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Twistedtat
Wouldn't a starter throw a code?
no.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Technical Moderator

The starter making clunks and grinds but the engine does not turn means that it is turning, but the pinion gear is not engaging the flywheel gear.

Causes could include:
A) the solenoid is not functioning
B) the pinion gear is trashed
or
C) the flywheel has teeth missing

Diagnosing necessitates removing the starter and inspecting it and peering into the flywheel hole to inspect the teeth.

The starter motor, solenoid and pinion are one assembly that is easily and fairly cheaply replaced. The flywheel itself is fairly cheap, but the labor involved in replacing it is not.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:41 PM

Awesome info, thanks a ton for all the advice here, I have pulled the starter and did not see any damage that may had been done to the flywheel.

I have a buddy that will warranty this starter out for me at our local AP store. So I will probably be replacing the starter sometime this week or weekend.

Will report back with findings, I am hoping at this point that you are all correct and its simply a starter gone bad
Old 10-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

simple question.....

can the starter, while out of the car, be hot wired to check operation??
Old 10-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy
simple question.....

can the starter, while out of the car, be hot wired to check operation??
Yes. We used to bench test starters back in my tech days. Most times it was just clamping it in the big shop vise and hooking the battery charger to it, then turn on the charger in "start" mode.
One of my starter/alternator vendors would do the same thing at his shop. He would even press an old wood 2x4 against the moving gear to simulate starter load. Ahh. The good ole simple days.

And, I thought the auto parts stores usually had a starter testing machine.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
And, I thought the auto parts stores usually had a starter testing machine.
I do believe you are right - years ago I took a starter from the wife's Aerostar to a local parts store, and they hooked it up, turned it on - and a shower of sparks flew out of the starter - parts guy said "yup, it's bad"!!!

Quick Reply: Starter? Maybe...?