Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Transmission shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 04:01 PM

Unhappy Transmission shifting issues

I am having some problems with my 08 HHR recently with the trans hanging in first gear, the it shifts hard into second like it has a shift kit in it. Only does this until it is up to temp and came out of nowhere. The car only has 55000 miles on it and I pretty much baby it! Really confused at this point. I'm going to try warming it up before going to work nd see what happens...UGH!!!
Old 08-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

moved from https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/driv...failure-39732/ (from 2012) into it's own thread.

If you get the check Engine Light coming on, get the codes read and post it/them here. Is there any chance the temperature gauges are blanking out at the same time? (that can point to the thermostat jamming open, which blanks out the gauges, and can cause the hard shifting)
Old 08-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Technical Moderator

Oh, and I just gave CCS a load about commenting on 2 year old threads. Sorry Kristen, but really.

Either it's too hot (over 230F) or too cold (under 180F). OR, something else. The search tool may help?
Old 08-03-2014, 03:16 PM

Hello Thisstrangeengine,

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with your HHR and I do apologize. As a customer service representative, I'm not able to provide much in the way of do-it-yourself information, so I'm glad to see forum members are beginning to step in with feedback. If you have any lingering concerns, please contact me via private message.

Jennifer T.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-03-2014, 05:42 PM

I wonder if you have done any other work to your vehicle like maybe removed the air cleaner box or messed with the MAF sensor at all. If you have removed the wires from that you will get very abrupt shifts.

When I had mine disconnected after replacing the air filter I had this happening. It did not throw any codes.

I've been told that if the MAF sensor is dirty you can get this problem too. Might be about time to buy a can of cleaner and try that might also be a good time to clean the throttle body too.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
moved from https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/driv...failure-39732/ (from 2012) into it's own thread.

If you get the check Engine Light coming on, get the codes read and post it/them here. Is there any chance the temperature gauges are blanking out at the same time? (that can point to the thermostat jamming open, which blanks out the gauges, and can cause the hard shifting)
Thanks for moving this.. I havent been on here in some time and was just getting that hopeless feeling!.
Anyway, I have no check engine light and the temp is normal as always... It runs about 199 or so under normal driving even on a hot day. Just got in it one day, pulled out of my driveway and I thought I had it in low gear, but it was in drive. When it was up to temp all was fine. No slipping, no hard shifting and no lights. The only problem I ever had with the HHR is the darn radio... Speakers going out, sometimes both front work, sometimes they all work!!! Now this... Plus the ignition recall which I still need to schedule.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
I wonder if you have done any other work to your vehicle like maybe removed the air cleaner box or messed with the MAF sensor at all. If you have removed the wires from that you will get very abrupt shifts.

When I had mine disconnected after replacing the air filter I had this happening. It did not throw any codes.

I've been told that if the MAF sensor is dirty you can get this problem too. Might be about time to buy a can of cleaner and try that might also be a good time to clean the throttle body too.
Thanks Grizzly, I did have the air cleaner box off earlier this year (spring time) to change the filter and clean inside of it. I changed the oil and filter and the cabin air filter all at once. I will have to check under the air cleaner and all connections under the hood.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Oh, and I just gave CCS a load about commenting on 2 year old threads. Sorry Kristen, but really.

Either it's too hot (over 230F) or too cold (under 180F). OR, something else. The search tool may help?
Sorry...
Old 08-08-2014, 12:34 PM

Did anyone check to make sure the Control Harness to the transmission was straight on and secure?
If it's OK, make sure there's no damage to the harness farther back.

Clare
Old 09-19-2014, 12:35 PM

Well, I guess it's time to come clean! I no longer own my HHR... I decided to trade it in on a new Equinox about a month ago. Gonna miss it, but the Equinox seems to get the same MPG or better and everything is new! Just lost confidence in the reliability...

Quick Reply: Transmission shifting issues