Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Absurd Mileage!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by damienSS
I bet you could better your economy by removing the spare tire, floor mats and everything else not bolted down like the owners manual etc. Oh and use the washroom before you leave! Probably be pushin 45-50mpg.
I was up in Tobermory/Lion's Head (Ontario) over Labor day weekend. Your speed limits are slower everywhere up there. All you have to do is obey the posted limits and youll do better than the average American. I'ts also very very flat, not many stop lights and very low traffic except right in the cities or rush hour. Up there (i didnt bring my SS) 39-40 is as easy convicting OJ.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:54 PM

Driving back to Florida from Raleigh I was getting 30.2 mpg averaging (DIC) 62 mph, using cruise control at ~65-70 mph all on I-95. I've seen a consistant drop in mileage since the 10% ethanol mandate. I'm getting what the car is advertised at, but I used to get about 34-35 mpg earlier in the year over this route. After 37K miles, I'm thinking a changing out the air filter.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:56 PM

10% Ethanol

I am in Texas and I do not know of anyplace that does not have 10% Ethanol. Most all say they may contain it on the pump but when you ask most do not know or say it does have it.
Hard to say how much it effects the mileage especially since we do not know the exact percentadge of it.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

Curly.......

That's a really good point .......regarding the percentage of content! I remember back about 8 years ago, the local GM people did a little un scientific survey/study.

They sent 5 pick up trucks to 5 predetermined, product identified, gas stations. Each truck had five, 5 gallon empty gas cans. Each truck was assigned a specific brand of gas (and again, specific locations of each specific brand station). The drivers were to get 5 gallons of regular 87 octane ethanol enhanced gas from various areas of greater Phoenix, label the cans and return to the facility for the "samples" to be analyzed.

Note....the difficulty in located ethanol stations was a problem. MTBE was still allowed at that time, for portions of our calender year. But some stations were using it as a designer fuel because it was also cheaper on the wholesale market.

The result revealed 7-18% level of ethanol. With inconsistancy through each brand. The discussion led improper/sloppy mixture of the ethanol at the distribution point. Which is the tank farms here in Phoenix.

The Brands.....

Exxon
Texaco (now gone)
AM-PM (Atlantic-Richfeld)
Chevron
Diamond Shamrock (largest independent, in this area, at the time).

I would bet that SOME percentages are STILL off.