Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

E15 gas, is it coming near you ?

Old 06-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Exclamation E15 gas, is it coming near you ?

Just got this from old friend, I added the location for clarity:

Down here in mecklenberg county(charlotte nc) they just made E15 mandatory, luckily I still live 1 county southeast of there but im still having to occasionally get that crap.. the bike is pinging a little on the premium E15
Old 06-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Deceased

Well this is interesting sleeper, while House Bill 187 passed the NC General Assembly and was signed into law on April 7, 2011 allowing the sale of E15 in NC with very specific pump labeling...I have no knowledge of any mandatory sale requirements in any county of this state including the heavily emissions regulated Mecklenburg and Gaston counties.

As of right now E15 isn't even approved by the EPA for use in motorcycles or motor vehicles older than the 2007 model year pending approval of waivers and more emissions testing(even then vehicles older than 2001 will be prohibited from using it). Your friend should discontinue the use of E15 in his bike immediately before risking engine damage.

Since the passage of Bill 187 there have been a few vendors who have begun offering E15 for sale as an option at the pump. I can find no public records of any requirements by the Air Quality Board of Mecklenburg County initiating mandatory vending of E15.

Since I have business Monday back in Charlotte I will pay a visit to my friend in city hall to see if I've missed something regarding any E15 requirements and pass it along here.

Last edited by 843de; 06-26-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 AM

Not here yet in WI sleeper. As a matter of fact, I can still get E0 around here at one particular station. I go there most of the time because I like the idea of running pure gas. Although 90% of the stations around here have E10.

So, I must ask, if E15 is only approved by the EPA for cars built 2007 and after, what are the other cars that "live" in that county supposed to do? Just deal with a knocking engine like it's no big deal? Last time I checked there are still tons of pre-2007 cars on the road. E15 sounds like it could cause lots of problems...
Old 06-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Deceased

E15 is supposed to be sold alongside E10 and regular unaltered gas for who knows how many years after its roll out. I just can't find myself worrying too much about it now since it will be a "consumer choice" rather than mandatory.

It boggles my mind though that the government would even consider something so insane as introducing any sort of motor fuel that isn't "backwards compatible" and only usable by such a narrow range of model years.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by 843de

It boggles my mind though that the government would even consider something so insane as introducing any sort of motor fuel that isn't "backwards compatible" and only usable by such a narrow range of model years.
Well.................. If you don't buy a new car every 2-5 years, you must not be fit to own one.

(in case anybody is wondering..... That was sarcasm.)
Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Guys-

I see no E15 selections around here. Which I am glad of.. And I can still get 100% gas, just narrowing down the places that have it.

I told my friend to avoid using the E15, & perhaps his use of the word "mandatory" was not the right choice..

I know my bikes, mowers etc, like the 100% gas best.

I had an aftermarket clear gas filter go soft on my big mower. I can only attribute this to the ethanol.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Deceased

OK, made a side trip today to talk to somebody in the know about the E15 issue in Carolina. There is no mandatory requirement for its sale, it will for the foreseeable future remain a choice offered at the pumps in certain areas. Carolina is taking a "wait and see" attitude on the fuel due to the lack of EPA waivers for older vehicles and other issues.

There may come a time in the future where E15 will be replacing E10 in certain areas of Carolina because of air quality issues. Mecklenburg, Gaston, and a few other counties are having issues meeting EPA air quality standards in the Summer months, these would be the first to see a roll out of E15 replacing E10.

So there you go, it may be coming here in the next few years, and it may be coming to a gas station near you eventually too. But like you sleeper, I have a source of "pure gas" close at hand and will continue to use it in everything I own.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

843-

Thanks for looking into this.. I don't think there are any 'maybes' about it, it's coming. This imo is just a beginning..

I just hope the 100% gas sources can keep continuing. Also glad I'm so rural, we have no emissions testing, like other counties.

One source was a Chevron & had to bow to greater authority & quit the pure gas..

On one of my cycle forums many others are talking about (evil) E15 as well..
Old 06-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Continued: And curious if this is happening in California ?

Since the EPA stuff seems to start there & migrate across the states.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Deceased

I'd say you'll see it being introduced/implemented/required/mandated first out in California, they have the most Draconian emissions regs of any state, I don't think I could stand dealing with the antics of CARB.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E15 gas, is it coming near you ?