Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy - Hypermiling (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/fuel-economy-hypermiling-47/)
-   -   End of ethanol subsidy (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/fuel-economy-hypermiling-47/end-ethanol-subsidy-38686/)

bigjacksauto 01-03-2012 04:41 PM

End of ethanol subsidy

Here is some info Story Link
Wonder how long before we can see pure gas and get our MPG back

Snoopy 01-03-2012 06:23 PM

Bad link....doesn't work.

ChevyMgr 01-03-2012 06:58 PM

Now it works. Looks like all it means to us is higher gas prices. I don't think it's going away.

Tominator 01-04-2012 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 609705)
Now it works. Looks like all it means to us is higher gas prices. I don't think it's going away.

How so? Some estimate the cost of production at $8 a gallon. It has lead to food shortages and riots in other parts of the world and artificially driven up prices on dozens of common food items. Let the markets work and the price ALWAYS comes down.

solman98 01-04-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tominator (Post 609766)
How so? Some estimate the cost of production at $8 a gallon. It has lead to food shortages and riots in other parts of the world and artificially driven up prices on dozens of common food items. Let the markets work and the price ALWAYS comes down.

And how has that been working the past few years? Seems like the price I see rises 10-20 cents in a day, then will slowly drop back down about 10-15 cents, then right back up again. Don't be suprised to see $5/gallon in the near future.

The food part has been proven incorrect numerous times.

Snoopy 01-04-2012 02:23 PM

Found this article interesting.

But also, the article mentions nothing of what the gas company's will use to substitute for the ethanol. Remember, ethanol was used PRIMARILY as a substitute for the MTBE additive, which was supposed to add to a clear air initiative. When the EPA, along with others, discovered the residual contaminants it produced, they banned it. Thus, ethanol was substituted with a secondary value of using less crude.

If there is no known substitute for the ethanol and MTBE is banned, how will areas of this country, who are under EPA and Federal mandates to reduce pollution, accomplish this. ( I didn't mention local mandates, intentionally).......maybe by limiting use of vehicles or shipments of gas to those areas.

And remember, ALL fuels sold in this country contain a very small portion of ethanol, along with other additives, as a federal mandate. A substitute would need to be found for this, as well.

So my point, fuel will become more expensive until something else is found that is cheaper as a substitute.

ChevyMgr 01-04-2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tominator (Post 609766)
It has lead to food shortages and riots in other parts of the world and artificially driven up prices on dozens of common food items.

Link to these facts?

solman98 01-05-2012 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 609815)
Found this article interesting.

But also, the article mentions nothing of what the gas company's will use to substitute for the ethanol. Remember, ethanol was used PRIMARILY as a substitute for the MTBE additive, which was supposed to add to a clear air initiative. When the EPA, along with others, discovered the residual contaminants it produced, they banned it. Thus, ethanol was substituted with a secondary value of using less crude.

If there is no known substitute for the ethanol and MTBE is banned, how will areas of this country, who are under EPA and Federal mandates to reduce pollution, accomplish this. ( I didn't mention local mandates, intentionally).......maybe by limiting use of vehicles or shipments of gas to those areas.

And remember, ALL fuels sold in this country contain a very small portion of ethanol, along with other additives, as a federal mandate. A substitute would need to be found for this, as well.

So my point, fuel will become more expensive until something else is found that is cheaper as a substitute.

I know several on here that state they have no ethanol in their gas in their area. I've asked in the past what they were using as an octane enhancer, but I don't remember anyone ever finding out exactly what was in their gas.

I don't have a problem with ethanol, I wish mine would run on E85, if it did, I'd use it as aften as I could for my own reasons.

Tominator 01-05-2012 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 609829)
Link to these facts?

Been discussed in the media many many times. Corn is a commodity sold internationally and just like oil, goes to where the most profit can be made from it's sale. Methanol subsidies have artificially made the cost to increase as more and more of the grain is processed into fuel raising the prices to all time highs.

Cuba, Nicaragua and most of Africa are governed by the supply of food and is a commodity gets too expensive the dictators just don't by the food. The people slowly starve. Many of the 'freedom riots' of the past year are directly influenced by food shortages.

http://www.world-crisis.net/food-crisis.html

http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/...lt-gimenez.htm

Now, take these reports with a grain of salt as they believe profit is evil, but that's another thread...the fact is when grain is subsidized the price goes up and someone starves.

Doc brown 01-05-2012 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tominator (Post 609927)
Now, take these reports with a grain of salt as they believe profit is evil, but that's another thread...the fact is when grain is subsidized the price goes up and someone starves.

Taking these reports with a grain of salt hardly even covers it. Its the media reporting statistics, and you know what they say about statistics. There are so many factors involved that any one isn't all that significant. Put them together and you have a mess.

The first article only lightly touches on how much corn is sold by the US to China, and the second article doesn't mention it all. Last I heard a significant portion of US corn and other grains are sold to China. Dig deeper. There is a lot more to this issue than a couple of biased articles will point out. There is far too much false propaganda being spewed out on both sides of the debate to come to a personal opinion without really looking past all this and finding the real facts.

The other thing that I NEVER see discussed in any of these articles is the fact that that US farms are only producing a fraction of the corn they are capable of. Many farmers are paid to NOT grow certain crops including corn. Further, crops that are dedicated to Ethanol production are growing corn normally used for animal feed. If these farmers were not growing for Ethanol, they would be growing another not-for-human consumption crop. The World Health Organization has stated in the past that with only minor adjustments in modern agricultural methods, we could easily feed up to 9 times the current world population. What does all this mean to this discussion? One thing we can conclude from that statement is that bio fuels like Ethanol wouldn't even dent the needed food supply. The other is that its simply not the production of Ethanol that's causing price issues. Its greed. In other words blames those that are lining their pockets, not those with ideas on reducing dependance on foreign oil sources.