Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Hypermiling

Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 PM

Thumbs up Hypermiling

The BEST way of increasing your mpg is to use the seafoam then the second tank of gas put in 7 oz. of acetone in a full tank of fuel NO ETHENOL then let set over night use the acetone for the next tank also then skip one tank of gas but always do this & let it set overnight in a full tank, I have a 2007 2.2 with 17" Cragars & automatic that I get regular driving on interstate at 75mph I get 25 mpg if I am gowing on a trip I'll use the seafoam a couple of days before getting gassed up for the trip & then I'll put in the acetone when I get home from filling up let it set over night it runs smoother & get's better mpg I get 34 or 35 mpg.s at 70mph. on the trip to Tenn. from Ind. or back home from Tenn. I have noticed that it has more power then to but you do have to find where to get gas WITHOUT ANY ALCOHOL ADDED! Mike Hicks
Old 03-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

welcome to the site. have no alcohol free fuel besides racing fuel here
Old 03-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

At the risk of starting a debate.....

I think your making some mistakes. But the real issue is your "regular" gas mileage. You should be getting way better than what you expressed. I have a 2.4 ltr, automatic...and, on trips, I CONSISTENTLY get 32 MPG at 75 mph. For about 270 miles of state highway that was posted at 60, I got 37.

Anyway, it appears MAYBE, you are spending more from additives and non-alcohol fuel than the mileage you obtain.

So why do anything out of the ordinary !! Welcome to the site, by the way.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 PM

When we say alcohol, we referring to ethanol basically, right? In my area, one of the local gas stations offers 87 regular unleaded w/ ethanol, and they offer 87 regular unleaded w/o ethanol for 5 cents more per gallon. I usually get the ethanol-free fuel, it's nice they offer ethanol-free in 87 grade fuel. I know most places you can't find that. Most of the time you have to upgrade to premium fuel to get ethanol-free. And with gas prices the way they are now, that can be expensive. I get a little better gas mileage with it, maybe 1-2. mpg better. I figure its better for the car too.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Deceased

Seems to be some extreme measures to get what I'd consider to be "normal" mileage. I don't put any faith in additives or other forms of "snake oil", they come and they go every time gas gets to goofy pricing levels.

For the best economy just do the simple things that people usually forget.

1. Proper tire inflation to the recommend pressure on the door sticker.
2. Change the air filter at the recommended interval or sooner.
3. Clean your vehicle out, the more junk you carry, the more fuel you burn to carry it.
4. Service the engine, old oil just makes the engine work harder as the molecules break down.
5. Back it down, 85 mph doesn't really gain you much time over 75 mph, and you'll use less fuel.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 PM

acetone and seafoam

I experimented with acetone when I used to drive my HHR at least 270 miles a day . I'm not saying it doesn't work , but I never remember seeing any benefit from acetone ....Now , Seafoam is a different story....I allways add bottle with about 10 gallons of gas when my oil change is due and when my oil change is 50% due....I ALLWAYS see an increase in mpg , usually about 2 or so mpg at least.....I am a true believer in the the Seafoam .....My HHR now has over 150,000 miles , over 125,000 of them , I put on......I have tryed many other gas treatment /cleaners , I have never seen ANY results , except with the Seafoam.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:26 AM

I don't know if I would put acetone into the fuel system. I have always had good luck with techron fuel injection cleaner. It does not seem to be an issue with dirty fuel injectors like in the old days ( mid to late 80's) injectors used to be very finicky plus fuel quality is a lot better today than it used to be. The only trip I have had my 09 LS 2.2 automatic on I averaged 32.5 mpg and I am usually at 24-25 in town. I think most of the gas in my area is E-10 and EPA wants to go up to E-15.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Premium Member

I use the Techron seems to add a little kick and Costco sells a 6 pack for 16.00 they are 9.00 each at Orileys
Old 03-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Acetone

I have used the acetone in my car for 4 years & it gets better MPG with it than without only time it doesn't work is if I have to use gas with alcohol ( Ethanol ) also if you just put it in & start driving it doesn't mix with the gas or something that is why I put it in the night before but if I drive without any acetone on a trip I get about 26.5 to 27 mpg that is all but I drive 77 - 80 mph as much as I can .... the acetone is no more harmful than the Techtron is if you pour some in a foam cup it will eat through it in no time.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:38 AM

There is absolutely ZERO scientific evidence that acetone increases gas mileage.

Every time gas goes up the snake oil salesmen come out of the ground.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hypermiling