Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy - Hypermiling (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/fuel-economy-hypermiling-47/)
-   -   Interesting article in Dallas Morning News (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/fuel-economy-hypermiling-47/interesting-article-dallas-morning-news-18180/)

The Curly 1 09-10-2008 09:47 PM

Interesting article in Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....35fa7769.html

This is a good article to read for everyone. One guy thinks he is doing the world a favor by holding them up.
Wow! It takes all kinds to make a world. Curly

wxman 09-10-2008 09:57 PM

"If I can hold the whole conga line back to help the entire line save fuel so they catch a green light, I'll do it," Mr. Gerdes said.

Road Rage. I've heard of it.

Clevelandhhrss 09-10-2008 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by wxman (Post 310740)
"If I can hold the whole conga line back to help the entire line save fuel so they catch a green light, I'll do it," Mr. Gerdes said.

Road Rage. I've heard of it.

Yeah some of these guys are crazy. It's the american way to take something like efficient driving, or drugs, or money, or anything else to a ridiculous and dangerous extreme. Problem is people like this make the news, but they don't help anyone. Ignorant people think that dangerous stunts are the source of hypermiling advantages and articles like this encourage that ignorance. Its a shame.

If i drove like that ..I TOO could get 40+mpg OVERALL in a stock SS. Il keep away from road rage an get 36+. The extra 10% mileage isnt worth the hassle to myself or to other drivers.

wxman 09-10-2008 11:41 PM

I watched a guy ride 6" behind someone for 2 miles honking his horn, speeding up and hard braking right on his butt just because the dude was going the speed limit or maybe 2-3 under. It was utterly ridiculous how mad this guy seemed to be for no reason. It's scary sometimes.

The Curly 1 09-11-2008 06:22 AM

Those people really piss me off.

The people who think it is their right or duty to hold up others pisses me off. They can drive fast or slow it does not matter to me but fast is the left lane slow is the right lane. I do not care if I am going 85 miles per hour if someone comes up behind me I move over and let them by as quickly as possible. They may be taking pregnant wife to hospital or what ever, none of my business nor is it my job to hold anyone up. I drive to get where I am going, I do not have a problem if they are going slow in the right lane but if they are going under the speed limit in the fast lane that is stupid. Even in the far right lane 55 MPH is too slow to be safe around here most of the time. You need to go with the flow of the traffic and never hold up anyone.

One other thing I know is that many of the accidents in traffic is caused by people trying to get around slow traffic in the fast lane. The sad thing is they are usually not involved in the accident it is the person behind them that has to pull out into faster traffic in the right lane. Not to mention all of the road rage they cause.

There was a lady the other day going 42 MPH in the fast lane during rush hour the other day. People were having all kinds of trouble getting around her and they were honking their horns and swerving to get around her. When I was finally able to get by her I just tapped my horn and she flipped me off! The speed limit was 60 and most were going 65 to 70 but she has to go 42 in the fast lane.

saltyfishguy 09-11-2008 09:17 AM

I just put a cowcatcher off a freight train on my HHR and now I plan to crush anyone doing this around me. Here it will be mostly elderly or lost tourists, so be it...everyday some stupid azz has to be the protector of the roads and drive under the posted limit, man I need a 50 cal mounted or something, I swear there is not too much that gets at me but this does. GET OUTTA MY WAY!

GRUMPEE 09-11-2008 10:18 AM

I originally signed onto their forum, because I was interested in some of their techniques. Some those techniques are good common sense and some I disagree with because of the danger to the driver and to others as well as being an annoyance to others. Reading members comments after a few weeks,I found that their members opinions and mine were in conflict so much that I asked Wayne Gerdes to take me off their roster of members.

I'm all for decent fuel economy and being green & having fun doing it, but I guess I'm too selfish and "me oriented". I like my car and I'm not willing to ride my bike to work or take mass transit, to lessen my impact on the environment.

I remember reading a comment about a VW fest going on somewhere, and one of the readership made a mention to the effect that these VW enthusiasts were selfish and why didn't they car pool to the event.:roll:

Can you imagine they'd freek if they showed up at car show event, they'd immediately start complaining about all the FSPs (cleanmpg lingo for fuel sucking pigs)

ChevyMgr 09-11-2008 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE (Post 310877)
Can you imagine they'd freek if they showed up at car show event, they'd immediately start complaining about all the FSPs (cleanmpg lingo for fuel sucking pigs)

With lipstick no less.

AaronSS 09-11-2008 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by wxman (Post 310774)
I watched a guy ride 6" behind someone for 2 miles honking his horn, speeding up and hard braking right on his butt just because the dude was going the speed limit or maybe 2-3 under. It was utterly ridiculous how mad this guy seemed to be for no reason. It's scary sometimes.

Was he in the left lane? I want to mount a potato cannon full of ball bearings somewhere on my ride for use on people who do the speed limit in the left lane.

wxman 09-11-2008 12:08 PM

No, this was a 2 lane city street, speed limit 40. He was in the right lane and I think there was a large truck in the left lane matching speed so he couldn't go around at first. The guy had some chances to change lanes, but was having too much fun trying to scare the bejeezus out of this other driver.

I just held back a good distance and watched to see if the guy was actually going to rear-end him or not. I really thought he might.