Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Does synthetic oil improve fuel economy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:10 AM

Does synthetic oil improve fuel economy?

I have a 2006 HHR LT. It has 109,000 miles on it. Lately I've been thinking of switching to synthetic oil to maybe help with fuel economy but wanted to ask others first to see if it does help. Does anyone have experience in switching and confirm that it does help with fuel economy? I've also thought about going to a lower viscosity like 0w-20 synthetic. With my car having such high miles I wonder if its worth the change. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:00 AM
Platinum Member

This has been discussed several times.

Stick with the recommended viscosity - switch to 0w-20 at your own risk. The Ecotec engine was designed for 5W-30 - stick with that.

Switch to synthetic if you wish, but be prepared to check your oil level frequently - when I switched to synthetic at high mileage it switched from using less than a quarter of a litre in something like 5000 miles to using over a quart in less than 2500 miles.

Gas mileage improvement with synthetic? - I doubt you would ever be able to measure accurately any mileage improvement. I found a reference on one of the boards where they discussed mileage improvements, and I tend to agree with a quote from it -

"If you stand on a ladder you are closer to the moon. If you use synthetic oil you will get better gas mileage by about the same percentage as you gained by standing on a ladder. "
Old 05-09-2016, 07:16 AM
Technical Moderator

I agree! It's World petroleum economy they mean, less dinosaur oil is used.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
This has been discussed several times.

Stick with the recommended viscosity - switch to 0w-20 at your own risk. The Ecotec engine was designed for 5W-30 - stick with that.

Switch to synthetic if you wish, but be prepared to check your oil level frequently - when I switched to synthetic at high mileage it switched from using less than a quarter of a litre in something like 5000 miles to using over a quart in less than 2500 miles.

Gas mileage improvement with synthetic? - I doubt you would ever be able to measure accurately any mileage improvement. I found a reference on one of the boards where they discussed mileage improvements, and I tend to agree with a quote from it -

"If you stand on a ladder you are closer to the moon. If you use synthetic oil you will get better gas mileage by about the same percentage as you gained by standing on a ladder. "
NEVER EVER EVER CHANGE VISCOSITY. The engine takes 5W30 for a reason. Keep it that way. As for synthitic, I switched my HHR (2.4) to synthetic since its first oil change since I owned it. That was at 135XXX miles. Here we are at 178XXX miles and after using two different brands of synthetic oil (Mobil1 and Pennzoil Pure Plus) I have had ZERO issues with oil consumption. 5 quarts in and five quarts out (yes I measure the oil that comes out at every oil change). It may not help economy, but it helps with temperature control and cleans a bit better too. I say switch, but good old dino oil doesn't hurt either. Also, remember that, although I do not want to start a debate by saying this, Synthetic oil DOES NOT CAUSE LEAKS, it merely finds leaks that are already there, cleans out whatever debris is holding it together, and then BOOM now you can notice a leak. I am young, and know that whopper has far more experience with cars than I do at 24 years old, but from my experience synthetic caused no usage or leaking issues. I travel 72 miles a day on my commute, so synthetic lets me stretch my oil change intervals nd gives me piece of mind.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:04 PM
Technical Moderator

Does whopper have his oil change kit out yet?
Old 05-09-2016, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
Does whopper have his oil change kit out yet?
Darned near - was looking at it yesterday.

I did have to buy a new catch pan a few months ago, as the old one wore a hole in the bottom from being dragged back and forth on the asphalt. That may tell a story in itself. :)
Old 05-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Administrator

I just recommend change your oil in your car when you want, this gives you piece of mind!
Use the oil brand you want, again for piece of mind.
But don't mess with the viscosity, that will turn around and bite you in the wallet!!
Old 05-09-2016, 09:26 PM

Mobil 1 5W-30 extended performance

Guaranteed for 15,000 miles is one heck of a selling point but right now you can actually get a $15 refund when you buy the oil & Filter (which I did & actually got the check).
I use full synthetic in both my cars and the motorcycle; handles the heat better. But if your vehicle has a leak you're Better off sticking with traditional oil.

Originally Posted by 06chevyHHR
I have a 2006 HHR LT. It has 109,000 miles on it. Lately I've been thinking of switching to synthetic oil to maybe help with fuel economy but wanted to ask others first to see if it does help. Does anyone have experience in switching and confirm that it does help with fuel economy? I've also thought about going to a lower viscosity like 0w-20 synthetic. With my car having such high miles I wonder if its worth the change. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:28 AM
geg

I use synthetic oil for the seventh year. My 2.4 is working properly, it feels good. The engine is not eating oil, no loss.
Exception - in a particularly cold winter I use 0-w30. In this case, the loss of oil is present, but only slightly.
Why do I use synthetics - it is more technologically, synthetic long it retains desired characteristics compared to mineral oil. Synthetics friendly to the engine, Synthetics allows a greater number of useful additives.
I believe that the use of synthetic - justified. I do not recommend the use of 0-w20.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:11 PM

Use nothing but. I doubt anyone could see a cost savings in fuel milage. When I used Dino oils I changed every 3000 miles,, with M-1 Extended Performance I change oil and filter every 6000,, that alone makes it cost efective,, and I have never been down more than 1/4th of a auart in them 6000 miles, even with the old 92 Sonoma that cut its teeth on 5w30w E P as well!

Now I am running it in my 1999 suburban with 206,000 in the 5.7L and at 2000 miles it is not down 1/4 quart yet,, we'll see when we get to 6000 miles on this change where it's at. But since my 1991 new 2500 Suburban with 7.4L engine I am sold on just how good Full Synthetic is!

Quick Reply: Does synthetic oil improve fuel economy?