General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

09 Dome Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:56 PM

I got one!

I scored one of these for $40 off eBay.
I don't have a smartphone,so I will borrow my wife's to take pics.

If you mean the "standard" dome light fixture they are held via friction on the headliner and a strong magnet to the sheet metal.
I can debunk this. It came with a black ring that 4 clips that are on the light assembly attach to. It also has the "hard" Velcro that EZPass uses to attach to the windshield...the Velcro must secure it to the metal. NO magnets,three small rectangular pieces of foam (to eliminate rattle,maybe?). Maybe the rear light assembly uses magnets,but not this one.

I assume the ring fits in the headliner (after cutting to the exact same size opening)and the light/sunroof switch assembly is snapped into place. Maybe someone can take a photo of a headliner that uses this setup without the light assembly in place as a reference? Otherwise,it's going to be "best guess" and one shot to get it right...

So.looks like the only thing I need to obtain (so far) is another piece of hard Velcro. Radio Shack carries it. And make cardboard templates for the headliner cutting.

When I do the mod,I will take pics and do a write up. Stay tuned...
Old 01-26-2017, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by mrmarkuSS
I scored one of these for $40 off eBay.
I don't have a smartphone,so I will borrow my wife's to take pics.

I can debunk this. It came with a black ring that 4 clips that are on the light assembly attach to. It also has the "hard" Velcro that EZPass uses to attach to the windshield...the Velcro must secure it to the metal. NO magnets,three small rectangular pieces of foam (to eliminate rattle,maybe?). Maybe the rear light assembly uses magnets,but not this one.

I assume the ring fits in the headliner (after cutting to the exact same size opening)and the light/sunroof switch assembly is snapped into place. Maybe someone can take a photo of a headliner that uses this setup without the light assembly in place as a reference? Otherwise,it's going to be "best guess" and one shot to get it right...

So.looks like the only thing I need to obtain (so far) is another piece of hard Velcro. Radio Shack carries it. And make cardboard templates for the headliner cutting.

When I do the mod,I will take pics and do a write up. Stay tuned...
Radio Shack? You still have a Radio Shack in your city? They have been gone for a long time here in DFW, that's where Tandy Corp is based.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:18 PM
Technical Moderator

Seems if you checked a few junkyards you could find a complete headliner with all of the fittings. There are several different designs over the years.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by J W Davis
Radio Shack? You still have a Radio Shack in your city? They have been gone for a long time here in DFW, that's where Tandy Corp is based.
Yes,a handful have closed here. There's still some around.I'm wondering if I should stock up on replacement bulbs for some of the mundane GM switches that light up along with the hard Velcro and heat shrink tubing,just in case.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Seems if you checked a few junkyards you could find a complete headliner with all of the fittings. There are several different designs over the years.
I have,so far no dice. And the ones I did find don't have the sunroof. So,beings that I won't revert to the original switch/light combo,it's one shot or bust...I'll most likely use my Dremel cutting wheel,it should make a clean cut.