General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

2008 LT Panel needs a new engine at only 65k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 02:15 PM

2008 LT Panel needs a new engine at only 65k miles?

So, I've had my HHR ('08 Panel 2LT, 2.4l, auto) since 2010, have had it serviced regularly, oil changes always before 3k miles, filters, etc., and as of today it has barely over 65k miles.
Recently (in the last couple months) I discovered it was low on oil, so I put a quart in, checked for leaks (found none) and made a note to tell the shop when I took it in for service. Before that could happen, though, the check engine light came on, so I immediately took it in to check that and have regular service.
Turns out there were a few things that needed to be replaced (I don't remember which ones, and I don't have the sheet with me, but anyway) and everything seemed fine...for about a two weeks. Check engine light came back on, and now she's not running exactly right -- shifts seem a bit sluggish, and when stopped, but in gear, it feels like it's fighting me, like it doesn't want to be stopped. So, back to the shop, as this can't be unrelated to the earlier work.
The tech says that what is happening is related to the timing and that replacing all the timing related parts would be in order (not a surprise, honestly) but, when he checked into the oil usage issue I'd told him about he'd found that it IS burning oil, not leaking it, and that it would mean rings at the very least, and his recommendation is to simply replace the engine, which, quite frankly, stunned me. I realize that to do both jobs would cost as much, if not more, than replacement, but, damn, it's only got 65k miles on it.

Thoughts?
Old 06-01-2018, 02:33 PM
Technical Moderator

You don't mention any Check Engine Lights. Without you remembering exactly what was done the only thing I can suggest is get a second opinion.

"Timing related" says exactly nothing.

A used engine installed should come in around $2,000. Rebuilding would be more.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:48 PM

Did he perform a compression test to determine the rings being worn? What was the result? A more common oil burning scenario is valve seals.

As far as the mystery timing issue... I find that hard to believe unless the tensioner failed or combo tensioner and guide broke. Even then I would think it would be making some awful noises at startup on top of running poorly. Oil changes that often shouldn't have allowed any excessive wear.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:19 PM
Administrator

I can understand timing related, the chain does stretch, I can understand valve guide seals, but rings? That’s a wild guess without a compression check.
We’re gonna need the codes, it could be timing chain, it could be VVT Solenoids, but guessing and throwing parts at it , waste of cash.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:03 PM

Ok, to be honest, the tech said valve seals and possibly rings, I totally forgot that part when I writing my original post. The basic gist is that to replace the timing components AND rebuild the engine would cost more than just replacing the thing, plus I'd have a new engine with a good warranty. I know I am leaving out a ton of stuff because I simply don't have the technical knowledge, so don't think that the folks working on my car are doing anything haphazardly, if anything it's just my weak interpretation of what I've been told so far. They've also suggested getting a second opinion before laying out that kind of cash, so that's the next thing on the agenda.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

I'd be looking to getting a 'leak-down test' done, that will tell if it's the guides or the rings.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:14 PM
Technical Moderator

Me thinks you trust too much.

The whole thing smells fishy to me at 65,000 miles. I really doubt a used engine will have less than that. A new engine will cost around $6,000 installed.

But, it is your money.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:25 PM

"Thoughts?"

Find another mechanic...
Old 06-01-2018, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
"Thoughts?"

Find another mechanic...

I agree with that for sure. There is no reason the mechanic should be telling you things like "possibly rings". There are tests for these things. Compression/leakdown. He should be very sure of his diagnosis and be clear in how he got to that conclusion. I would be willing to bet that the poor running is related to an electronic component failure. If the problem were the timing chain or related parts, you would not see the vehicle magically begin to run properly and then all of the sudden not run well at all. That doesn't add up. The oil burning is more than likely just the valve seals but again, there are tests to confirm. Your second opinion should be able to shed some light on the subject.

Whatever you do, do not tell the new shop what the last shop said. Don't even tell them you took it somewhere else. Let them conduct their own tests and see what they come up with.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:36 AM

Thanks for the input, guys, I'm for sure getting a second opinion, no way I'd do anything this major without at least letting someone else have a look. Which would you advise, the local Chevrolet place or an independent shop I've used before?

Quick Reply: 2008 LT Panel needs a new engine at only 65k miles?