Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   2010 HHR no cruise control (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/2010-hhr-no-cruise-control-59065/)

Siobhana 07-01-2017 02:45 AM

2010 HHR no cruise control

A few days ago my cruise control quit working and my check engine light came on, an automotive store to have them check the code, when I came back out to my vehicle, it wouldn't start. The code read that my clutch pedal position sensor wasn't working, after pumping my clutch a few times I managed to get it started and drive home. I replaced the sensor and it is starting just fine and check engine light is gone, however my cruise control is still not working. I thought it was related the the clutch since it occurred at the same time, but replacing it did not resolve that issue.

firemangeorge 07-01-2017 06:43 AM

Welcome.

1st thing to check is brake lights. Cruise control will not engage if a bulb is not working. This includes the 3rd brake light in the rear hatch.
If not a bulb, come back with conformation and we can look deeper.

donbrew 07-01-2017 07:34 AM

The other thing is the clutch pedal position sensor sensor for the cruise, the brake pedal position sensor or a lingering code. Check the wires down at the pedal sensors.

Casa Del Gatos 07-01-2017 09:55 AM

Don't forget the brakes themselves.

On my Class A Motorhome (sold now, thank god!) I had the cruise just stop working and I discovered that the driver's brake caliper would not completely release unless you pulled up on the brake pedal slightly (after braking).
Once that was figured out, the cruise started working flawlessly.

Drove it like that for almost 10 years, using my accelerator foot to pull up on the brake pedal after every stop.
Funny, I never really thought about fixing the freaking thing! :D

RJ_RS_SS_350 07-01-2017 10:01 AM

Also check to make sure that the clutch pedal(and the brake pedal) is fully returning to the 'up' position. If not, check to see if the return spring is broken or otherwise binding.

Conax 07-01-2017 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos (Post 826431)
Don't forget the brakes themselves.

On my Class A Motorhome (sold now, thank god!) I had the cruise just stop working and I discovered that the driver's brake caliper would not completely release unless you pulled up on the brake pedal slightly (after braking).
Once that was figured out, the cruise started working flawlessly.

Drove it like that for almost 10 years, using my accelerator foot to pull up on the brake pedal after every stop.
Funny, I never really thought about fixing the freaking thing! :D

I had a 96 Bronco (full size) that had the brake pedal trouble like yours.
Tried everything, put some oil in the assist drum, nothing.
I finally put a bungee cord on it. When I sold it I told the buyer, he just left it there.
What the hey, it worked. :smile: