General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Aftermarket remote start suggestions - Manual Trans

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:51 AM

Aftermarket remote start suggestions - Manual Trans

As said in my other thread, I'll be picking up my HHR today. For the guys with aftermarket remote starts, any suggestions for a manual transmission?

Also I plan to install myself, anyone got a wire diagram/instructions for install?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-12-2010, 08:30 AM

Suggestion is don't do it.You'd have to bypass the clutch safety switch and if you ever happen to leave the car in gear(and not use the parking brake) and then use the remote start the car will drive away and not stop until it hits something.That's why GM doesn't offer remote start on manual trans cars.They have a big lawsuit phobia and that would likely generate several.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:49 AM

Actually I looked into this and found a shop that would install one. It was a higher end unit and very pricey. There was a complicated sequence that HAD to be followed to arm it, went something like: Press in clutch and brakes, put trans into N, let clutch out, apply hand brake, release brakes, turn off engine.
The only way for the clutch to be out with the hand brake on and engine running was for it to be in N. Once you shut off the engine (after that sequence) it would arm the remote starter....

Can't remember the make, but like I said, it was pricey... Probably to cover the liability insurance
Old 02-12-2010, 10:28 AM

I'm not sure I would be comfortable leaving the car parked in neutral. I always leave it in first + the hand brake.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:21 PM

I always leave my HHR parked in neutral with the handbrake on.If I lived in a hilly place I'd probably leave it in a gear,most likely reverse.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ZTony8
Suggestion is don't do it.You'd have to bypass the clutch safety switch and if you ever happen to leave the car in gear(and not use the parking brake) and then use the remote start the car will drive away and not stop until it hits something.That's why GM doesn't offer remote start on manual trans cars.They have a big lawsuit phobia and that would likely generate several.
Typically, and quality remote starts for manual trans require it to be primed when you exit the car to ensure it is in neutral and the hand brake is on. If it isn't primed, it wouldn't trigger later with the remote unit.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:31 AM

Canuck is right here. I had a remote start installed quite some time ago on a Manual Trans Ford F-150. Before turning my truck off when I got home, I had to press the brake, put in neutral, set the parking brake, let off the brake, engage the remote start, remove the key, exit the truck, and then press the lock button to turn the engine off and lock the doors. This ensured the vehicle was in neutral, and if this sequence wasn't done the remote start would not work, also if a doors were unlocked at anytime the remote start wouldn't work.

This remote start was already installed when I got the truck, so I do not know what kind it was. Was hoping someone around here had a similar setup...
Old 02-13-2010, 10:49 AM

I got one in my car as soon as I got it, my first remote start. I can start the car from over 1/2 mile away.

I love it, I stop the car, foot on the brake, keep in neutral, pull ebrake, foot off brake, i hear the sensor click, turn off and take out the key, car stays running! this way, you cannot put it in gear after you pull the ebrake.

get out, once the door closes, the car shuts off and locks itself.

love it. mine is a CompuStar PRO
Old 02-13-2010, 09:55 PM

I have a python remote start on my manual. Do not install yourself, have it done by a professional. Works great. But you must go through the shut done procedure to have the car ready to be started via remote.