Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Battery Drains (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/battery-drains-63656/)

Ronnie 10-01-2020 01:24 PM

Battery Drains

If I leave the keys in the ignition for any length of time, it drains my battery. So putting it on accessory to listen to music while I work outside will definitely drain it. I recently had the battery checked and I was told it was still good.

So I don't understand why the battery is draining otherwise. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I wanna listen to music :band2:

Lonwane 10-01-2020 02:45 PM

I use my ipod with bluetooth speakers.
Both are rechargable.
You are using the car battery so drainage is going to happen.
ALSO every electrical component is charged, i.e. ECU, BCM, TCU is activated even though the car is not started.

Doc brown 10-01-2020 03:16 PM

Could you define "any length of time"? Is that 10 minutes? 20? An hour? How loud are you playing it? The louder it is, the more wattage it's pulling, the more it drains the battery.

RJ_RS_SS_350 10-01-2020 04:16 PM

The radio will automatically turn off after 10 minutes with the key in the off position.

Lonwane is correct, quite a few systems are using electricity while the key is in the accessory position. These group 90 batteries are on the small side, not a lot of reserve energy.

Silverfox 10-01-2020 04:49 PM

The battery will draw 5 amps with the key in the Accessory position. That's without anything else in use. A stupid design error.
I know... I learned the hard way twice.
Only way I know to remedy would be to direct wire the radio with an inline fuse, but still do not leave the key in the Acc. position for any length of time..

Silverfox

Ronnie 10-01-2020 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lonwane (Post 901944)
I use my ipod with bluetooth speakers.
Both are rechargable.
You are using the car battery so drainage is going to happen.
ALSO every electrical component is charged, i.e. ECU, BCM, TCU is activated even though the car is not started.

I dont have an ipod. Though I do have speakers for my phone

Ronnie 10-01-2020 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Doc brown (Post 901945)
Could you define "any length of time"? Is that 10 minutes? 20? An hour? How loud are you playing it? The louder it is, the more wattage it's pulling, the more it drains the battery.

I havent played the stereo yet becauseI I was certain it would drain the battery.

RJ_RS_SS_350 10-01-2020 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ronnie (Post 901959)
I havent played the stereo yet becauseI I was certain it would drain the battery.

Why is the key left in the accessory position, if not for the stereo?

Ronnie 10-02-2020 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350 (Post 901962)
Why is the key left in the accessory position, if not for the stereo?

I am saying if the key is in the ignition....not in the accessory position....it has drained the battery. I had left the keys in the ignition while I was working on my car months ago. It drained the battery.

RJ_RS_SS_350 10-02-2020 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ronnie (Post 901966)
I am saying if the key is in the ignition....not in the accessory position....it has drained the battery. I had left the keys in the ignition while I was working on my car months ago. It drained the battery.

Oh, that's very different. That should not happen.

I have to ask how long it was parked without being driven? Sitting for weeks can drain an older battery enough that it has a hard time starting the vehicle. Made worse if you are leaving doors open while performing repairs or maintenance. Having the key in or out would not affect this.