General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Beetles and HHRs

Old 01-22-2018, 08:43 AM
Banned

Beetles and HHRs

There are lots of reasons why i like these Cars/SUVs/Wagons some of which are the small size, Gas Mileage, utility, cheap parts, and the general shape of the thing but no one thing that i could ever put my finger on until the other day i was tooling along in the slow lane watching all the other cars and trucks whzz buy anyone else notice people in ford trucks are always in a hurry and rude..... anyway i was in a calm blissful mood listing to some old Stones on the CD when it hit me of all the reasons i like this car is it reminds me of the Bugs i owned back in the day about that time a big smile came across my face Yea thats it and this one has Heat that works...... and AC !!!! Anyone who has owned an Air cooled Beetle can relate to that, Beetles had less than ideal heaters when they began to rust out they pumped exhaust fumes into the cabin so you had to role down the windows in the hope you would not asphyxiate yourself it was a constant battle between frostbite or asphyxiation i staggered out into the cold on several occasions! Another thing the windows defrost without having to keep a scraper in hand to clear the inside of the windshield so there you have it i finally figured out why i like these cars we live in good times now we have cars with heaters that wont kill you and AC. Life is Good!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:29 PM
Technical Moderator

I drove a couple hundred miles in a blizzard once with a passenger; I had a 8 inch circle to look out of from wiping the inside frost with my gloved hand. That was a KG with A/C, but rusted heat ducts, the holes were so big I didn't need to worry about fumes.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:29 PM
Banned

vw restoration is what i do for a living and hhr's are my hobby ,,,

some of my builds , 1st place and mag cars and club cars ,,,, i,m no joke don brew just a honest car guy at 54 and still building
hhr's are now what vw's were u could buy another but could not afford to finish the one u had ,,,,,,,
Old 01-22-2018, 07:56 PM

Yeah the exhaust fumes weren't so bad once the floorboards rotted away...

The salt/slush spray on the back of your legs on the other hand....
Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 PM
Technical Moderator

Ah, the memory of figuring out how to drive home at 3 A.M. with a broken clutch cable on Key Bridge in D.C.. Figuring out how to get home from the lake with my date when the shifter broke. Saying to myself "I just happen to have an extra set of points in the glove box" 2,000 miles from home on a Sunday morning.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:55 AM

Way back in my construction days a friend had an old red beetle. It was a blast in the mudholes and dirtpiles of the sites. Bone stock it was a great dunebuggy, and a ball in the snow, too.
I loved em in summertime, winter not so much with the 'no heat' option.
Great little cars, his had no gas gauge but it did have a reserve like a motorcycle.

Yeah, the HHR has a certain Bug quality about it. Like a stretched Bug.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Hmm kinda

Old 01-31-2018, 09:08 AM
Banned

Those are some good looking bugs!! Dont think i have ever seen a stretched bug or HHR before. Way back in the day i could drop a bug engine on the ground in a little over 10 min. today it would take 10 min to find the tools!
Old 01-31-2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter..
Way back in the day i could drop a bug engine on the ground in a little over 10 min. today it would take 10 min to find the tools!
10mm & 12mm open end wrench, and a 17mm box wrench for the engine bolts. Remember how simple it was?
Old 01-31-2018, 06:13 PM
Technical Moderator

And don't forget the accel cable! Did I really do that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beetles and HHRs