General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Brake Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:22 AM

Brake Pads and Rotors

I'm trying to find the best replacement for my stock rotors and pads. What brands should I consider for the rotors and what metal alloy should I look for? I have heard EBC but what other brands are good? I have also heard that I should go with ceramic pads and I was wondering if the Autospecialty XP pads were any good. If not what is a good brand?
Old 01-23-2010, 09:49 AM

if ur not lookin for anything performance then wagner is a great brand. At the shop i used to work at, thats all we put on. if ur not going to put them on urself then firestone sells wagner, other than that you can pick it up at a local parts store
Old 01-23-2010, 12:06 PM

Wagoneer,

Installed EBC slotted and drilled rotors last May...with EBC Pads...BIGGEST MISTAKE ever!!!

After only 1,000 miles, VIBRATION like crazy and LOUD squealing. Most import: EBC does NOT stand behind their brakes!!

Now running with NAPA Ultra Rotors and
Ceramic Safety Stop Pads. I have 12K miles on the brakes thus far and they have been flawless. Smooth as glass. My mechanic of 19 years says he as NEVER had any of these brakes returned.

Here's the info: ROTORS

Ultra Premium Rotors
Guaranteed installation ready
Matched to exact OE characteristics
QC100™ Venting
Level EQ™ Sound Reducing Technology
Onyx Guard™ corrosion resistant coating
More certifications than any other

NAPA Brakes Ultra Premium rotors possess specific features and benefits for specialized high-end applications including:

Damped Iron
SUV and light truck applications
Large fleet applications
High-end Imports
Medium duty vehicles
Ultra Premium rotors have the machined characteristics needed to be installation ready, right out of the box, with no turning required. Ultra Premium rotors not only match OE for balance, surface finish and parallelism, we’ve even improved our average lateral run-out specification by 50%.

PADS:

Safety-Stop® disc brake pads and shoes are engineered with premium friction materials and designed to offer a premium product that contains friction media that matches OE and also has OE style noise reducing pad configurations

NAPA Safety-Stop brake pads are fully featured with slots, shims and chamfers where applicable, assuring you will enjoy all of the performance, wear and noise benefits you expect from a premium brake product.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-23-2010, 03:41 PM

I have had EBC on many of my cars and never had an issue with them. Nor do I see many issue with their products with our customers that is product related. Often people buy the wrong compund for their use, install improperly or do not seat them in.

I am not sure what the above issue is but I can say it is not a blanket statment that cover many cases. I could say the same with any other pad based on the things I have seen but often it is not product related there either.

With that being said. Just buy a good name brand rotor like Bendix or Wagoner and they should do fine and not cost you a lot.

Unless you want the drilled or dimpled for looks don't bothe with them. They will cost you more and not give you any perfromace improvement. Now if you want the look then fine.

The key to any brake job is installation. Too many people think just because they know how a caliper comes off they know how to install pad properly. I have even seen ASE mechanics often with a lot of experiance not even bed in or seat the pads let alone let the customer know how to drive them the first 300-500 miles. The key to great performance and durability of the brakes is the seating and used in the first 500 Miles. I done improperly any pad can make noise or create a pulsing pedal with low mileage on the vehicle.

Often a good name brand will have instruction in the box. I recomend that you read them or check the many web sites on proper installation and break in. This will save you possible trouble later.

I see the same thing with Cam installs and carb installations. People may have been wrenching for years but fail to keep up. Many a good mechanic today is wiping out a new cam because he is not using the break in lube. Oil in the last 2 year has had the ZInk removed and it now requires a break in additive. Many good mechanics still don't know this and often fail to read the cam instructions that point this out.

I see it every day.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

Napa

I went with the best they had in rotors and pads...couldn't be better!
You get what you pay for.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I have had EBC on many of my cars and never had an issue with them. Nor do I see many issue with their products with our customers that is product related. Often people buy the wrong compund for their use, install improperly or do not seat them in.
They were installed correctly by a licensed, experienced mechanic who knows brakes.

My "bone" is that repeated calls and letters to EBC (sent Return Receipt so there is no question they received the letters) were NEVER answered.

I posted my experience; I'm glad you have had good luck with EBC products.

Best advice you gave was about correct installation. That is so true with brakes.

So far the Napa brakes have been flawless.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:07 PM

I also ordered the EBC Green Stuff brake pads they will arrive on Tues. the 26th of January....Along with my Magnaflow exhaust
Old 01-24-2010, 04:01 PM

I have the EBC 3GD slotted and dimpled rotors with EBC green stuff pads on the front of my 2006 2LT. I love them. However, I have noticed now after 10,000 they like to make a deep groaning noise when driving in wet weather. I never heard that until about a 1000 or so miles ago.

I do like them a lot though. :)
Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM

NAPA premium level of brake parts. I have used them on several cars and trucks, including the fronts of the HHR back in Oct. I've always been very happy with them. So far they are fine on the HHR.