General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Back Seat In A Panel???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 PM

Back Seat In A Panel???

Does anybody know if you can install a back seat in a panel? And if so, what do I need to do so?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 05:41 PM

Yes. Several have already done it. Here is a how to:Installing a rear seat in a panel
Old 03-03-2011, 05:42 PM

There are several threads with good info and pics.
The simple answer is you need the seat, belts and storage box from a window HHR, and then take out your box and replace the seats and accessories.
Door panels can be worked in if you need arm rests

Good luck
Old 03-03-2011, 05:46 PM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/seat-removal-carpet-install-13261/
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/install-rear-seat-panel-26817/
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/installing-rear-seat-07-panel-11077/
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-adding-after-market-rear-seat-belts-panel-28758/

These threads will be very helpful to you
Old 03-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Rest In Peace

Real Easy to do. Just get all the hardware and the Seat Belts, and don't forget to get the Small storage box behind the rear seat.

Awsome Upgrade to a Panel for sure.

From a 2 seater to being able to seat 5. The rear seat still folds flat so you loose no room in back.

Read the threads posted and your good to go.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 PM

AWESOME

Now...how do I actually go about getting what I need?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 PM

Junk yard would be the best solution, if it's a "pick your own parts" type place and has a complete car. Getting everything separately would cost more and be a hassle.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Rest In Peace

Greybeards suggestion is the Best way I say.

Alot have used a parts finder website I forget what one at the moment, and had the rear seat shipped to them, but most thats all they got was the seat. Then had to either go to the Dealer for the other bits and pieces or a local yard.

Some even settled on another color.

I started looking and waited until a Matching ebony cloth rear seat was available and that I could go get myself. I drove 115 miles one way to get mine, and also a yard that would allow me to take the rear seat out myself.

That way I got Every nut bolt washer clips covers and seat belts with their bolts so it was a Complete install once I got home. I did have to find 1 rear headrest as it was missing.

Bring a small Mapp Gas torch or Propane as the seat belt bolts are locktited in and the bolt needs to be Carefully heated to get it out.

Luckily one quarter panel was gone and the other was dented up on the donor car and the guy that usually removes the parts drove by and I asked him to take his cutting torches and heat the bolts for me. He heated the bolt from outside of the car and he cut a access hole in the dented quarter to do the same on that side.

Those little parts at the dealer can add up fast so find a place local and dont settle on color, any color will eventually come up, theres only 3.

And under NO circumstances drive with Anyone in the back seat until you have it as a Completed install, Seat belts MUST be in place.

The actual swap, is very Easy. If you can turn a wrench you can do it.

I just upgraded my interior to Black Leather HHR seats, so I will be swapping the rear out again.

Legal Disclaimer Ahead - Remember, this is a "Mod" you are doing to the car and Not a Legal GM offering, so you may be held responsible for your actions.

Do this at your own Risk. I am just telling you how I did mine, Not telling you to do it.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Talking

Originally Posted by American & Proud

Legal Disclaimer Ahead - Remember, this is a "Mod" you are doing to the car and Not a Legal GM offering, so you may be held responsible for your actions.

Do this at your own Risk. I am just telling you how I did mine, Not telling you to do it.

Too funny... This wasn't your original idea to begin with.. Legal Disclaimer..Very Good one !!!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:41 AM
Rest In Peace

I Know it was NOT my idea to begin with. I followed the threads of others to do mine as well.

I was just letting this person know, that it Could be a Legal thing if one of his passengers were Hurt .

It was discussed here before, Could it be legal or ilegal to do this, will an Insurance company Refuse coverage of a back seat passenger in a car that was made not to have any, even though the car has all the bolt locations in place etc. I was just giving him something to think about that he may not have thought about. A fender bender, nothing to worry about, but Maybe, if a back seat passenger were injured and say needed lifetime care, would or could your insurance Refuse them coverage leaving YOU the owner responsible.

I aint NO lawyer, but things like this were talked about here with this mod even though its a straight bolt in swap.

But also in telling him how easy it actually is to do having done it myself on my own car, I don't want any type of legal repercussions for having done so.

Trust me, people have been sued for far less.

By doing this myself on My car, I chose to take on any risk, IF there is even one. The OP may not once they think about it.

Quick Reply: Back Seat In A Panel???