Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Camping with a teardrop (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/camping-teardrop-45215/)

eagles 03-09-2013 08:34 AM

Camping with a teardrop

4 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone! I just wanted to share my HHR and towing with you all. I built my teardrop out of 2" insulated styrofoam sheets, covered in canvas. Using gorilla glue and titebond II glues, primer and paint. I have been towing and camping with it the last 2 yrs, this April I will be starting my 3rd year with it. So far I think its made about 20? trips.

this pic is the trailer's shell:
Attachment 24448

I even backed it in to my site:
Attachment 24449

Attachment 24450

Attachment 24451

F-16C 03-09-2013 08:59 AM

COOL, I LIKE IT. GOOD JOB :twothumbs::twothumbs::twothumbs:

Snoopy 03-09-2013 11:40 AM

Nice work..

We had a member on here, the name escapes me but I believe he was from the Pac. N/W, who had a commercially manufactured tear drop. He towed it all over the U.S. Haven't heard from him in about 2 years but, the last I saw him was in a Michigan G2G. At that time, he and his wife expressed great satisfaction for the HHR's ability and the tear drops versatility.

Krash Kadillak 03-09-2013 12:22 PM

Very nice! Great way to go on an adventure! Too many people want to bring ALL THE COMFORTS OF HOME with them when they go camping. The more stuff you bring, the more weight you have, the bigger the camper you need. I'm sure you give up some conveniences having a unit so small, but if you're smart, camping like this can still be enjoyable.

Just a question on your teardrop: Did you follow somebody's plans, or design it yourself?

Good work!

Lucky 03-09-2013 05:30 PM

Very cool :bow:

eagles 03-10-2013 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Krash Kadillak (Post 695246)
Very nice! Great way to go on an adventure! Too many people want to bring ALL THE COMFORTS OF HOME with them when they go camping. The more stuff you bring, the more weight you have, the bigger the camper you need. I'm sure you give up some conveniences having a unit so small, but if you're smart, camping like this can still be enjoyable.

Just a question on your teardrop: Did you follow somebody's plans, or design it yourself?

Good work!

These little campers can carry alot! I actually have about everything but the kitchen sink. I have most electrical applicances, but I also have charcoal, and gas grills. I even brought the pressure cooker once (did not enjoy that for campng). Portapotty is inside the bed section. I even have a/c and a heater. So, as long as there is electric I am well equipped, now dry camping, I am good there also, just might be a bit hotter or colder. I also carry my laptop, for watching movies at night (in case the weather is bad and have to turn in early).

There are plans out there to make these teardrops (some have the kitchen sink). But I have been a member of a build site (not sure if I am allowed to name the site), but they are a wealth of information on building them. I actually spent years on that site before building my own. Now I am also a member of another site that is more for teardrop gatherings. So a group of the teardroppers came to my house one weekend and we put together this one. The basic shell is there, and it depends just how elaborate one wants to go. I wanted just the basic shell (with a cut out for the portapotty). I did the shape myself (can't you tell, its not perfect), by freehand. The cost is another aspect as to why lots of us build our own. Mine cost about $1300, including the trailer.

I think for the HHR these little teardrops are fantastic! mine weights approx 500lbs with the mattress. I have never weighed it fully loaded.
My HHR really slows down on mountains without towing, and because of that I really haven't taken it too hight up while towing.

I am in the planning stages of a trip west, so if that pans out, I'll have to let you know how that goes.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Ron S 03-10-2013 09:20 AM

Eagles
Two questions, Where in Va are you, I am in Roanoke. What size trailer did you start with? I have been thinking about an Aluminum pop-up. but they are pricey. I will have to show this to my wife to see what she thinks. I will try to search for the sites you refered to. Great job!!!!!:twothumbs:

eagles 03-10-2013 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ron S (Post 695421)
Eagles
Two questions, Where in Va are you, I am in Roanoke. What size trailer did you start with? I have been thinking about an Aluminum pop-up. but they are pricey. I will have to show this to my wife to see what she thinks. I will try to search for the sites you refered to. Great job!!!!!:twothumbs:

I am on the Eastern Shore. Like I said, I am not sure about naming another site (I know some forums frown upon that), but look up teardrops/tiny travel trailers, and I bet you can find it.

I bought the Northern Tool, 5x8. They do have sales every once in a while, so keep your eyes out for that. The good thing about building yourself, is that you know every inch of your camper. Also, they can be built to your requirements. I built around my portapotty. I tent camped in the mountains which is bear country, and I would never leave my tent once it got dark, being older well, that left me very uncomfortable when nature calls in the middle of the night. :lol: Another great thing about building is the cost, you can make them pretty cheap or very pricey. They can be extremely lightweight (like mine), so that even our HHR's can tow them.

Good luck, I hope you find the site and build and get out there!

Miltown SS 03-10-2013 11:45 PM

That is an awesome teardrop you have there! I have a lot of respect for the talent it takes to build custom projects like that:thumb: Oh nice HHR too:lol:
Welcome to the site.

Kellywren 03-11-2013 12:23 AM

Love this idea. I miss camping with my Jeep. But I love my Hillbilly Hot Rod (HHR). This would be a great way to combine both.