Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Cargo hauling insert? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/cargo-hauling-insert-48330/)

Mercury 10-29-2013 08:26 AM

Cargo hauling insert?

I just picked up my second SS. I plan to use it to haul firewood once and a while. As some of you know, firewood can get messy. I don't want to pile it up against the door panels, so I want to build a frame that has a tarp in between to catch any debris.

The green area would be 2x and the blue would be the tarp. Has anybody done anything like this? I feel like it would also allow me to stack to the roof.

http://i40.tinypic.com/dblk7a.jpg

whopper 10-29-2013 10:25 AM

Stack it to the roof? Bad bad idea!!! You will be overloading it totally. For that much wood you need a truck.

BQS4 10-29-2013 10:50 AM

Wouldn't a trailer be simpler and easier?

fastsuv 10-29-2013 11:23 AM

At the least, I would get a piece of plywood that covers the whole load area to distribute the load evenly. The plastic cover for the underfloor storage area is not very strong. Also, you might bend the folding seats.

Even with a tarp, pieces of wood could bang against the glass if it goes that high.

You'll probably be OK if you keep the pile no higher than the top of the door panels or plastic trim.

I would build an open top plywood box (1/2" thick) that is the width and length you need and about 16" high. That would prevent damage and still be reasonably light to be removed easily (after removing the wood pieces of course).

Steve

Mercury 10-29-2013 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 723870)
Stack it to the roof? Bad bad idea!!! You will be overloading it totally. For that much wood you need a truck.

Well seeing as how the HHR's cargo cubic feet is around 60, that is half of a cord of wood.

I would be transporting seasoned wood which weighs a lot less than green wood.

The limit on the HHR is about 900 lbs right? So I could definitely do 1/4 of a cord of wood, should easily be under 900 lbs

guppy 10-29-2013 01:04 PM

I agree with BQS4, a trailer is the proper tool for the job here. Besides all the other comments, destroying the back seat, crushing the tire cover, scratching the hell out of the plastic interior, over loading, etc etc.

Here is my number one reason for using a utility trailer, YOUR BACK. You are gonna kill yourself bending and reaching into the van to drag out each piece of wood. Whereas a utility trailer it laid out right in front of you.

Here is my number two reason for using a utility trailer, SAFETY. If you get into a wreck, one of them logs is gonna fly up and smack you right in back of your gourd.

You can pickup a 4X6 ft utility trailer new for under $800. You can find it used on craigslist for under $500. The 4X6 ft are popular for hauling riding lawnmowers and atv's and are widely available. You can also find boat trailers really cheap ($100) and you can build a platform on it.

I don't mean to beat you up on your box idea, I just suggest that you think over the trailer idea before you get all involved in the box building. Either way we wish you the best.

11BlueJ 10-29-2013 02:32 PM

Think I would just have it delivered :thumb:

Besides too many rules for moving firewood around this area anyway.

Mercury 10-29-2013 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 11BlueJ (Post 723915)
Think I would just have it delivered :thumb:

Besides too many rules for moving firewood around this area anyway.

Well I have it all cut in a spot in the woods by my parents house. So its already free. :smile:

firemangeorge 10-29-2013 03:49 PM

Borrow a vehicle if you want to haul wood
Drive your SS if you want to haul a**.

whopper 10-29-2013 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 723925)
a**.

Oh yeah, ash - I was thinking cedar, or some cherrywood. :D