Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Cheesed off with hood dents (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/cheesed-off-hood-dents-42502/)

kewatin 08-22-2012 08:16 PM

Cheesed off with hood dents

well i am back again with the same old problem 3rd HHR &same area hood dents. my 2011 20,000 kms and had one dent before leaving on vaction and after 3 wks and returning home i now have an additional 2 more .one on left side of hood ,2 on right side of hood they are about 1 foot from windshield are and just on top surface before curvature that drops towards fender. now another $150 to get the DENT DR to remove,yet again.you would think GM would have the sense to put a little more gauge thickness in this material.in my humble opinion you just have to put your hand or elbo on it and you'v got a grease or dent. how many more of you owners are having this same problem? i am a consious owner and keep my vehicle cleaned &maintained but i am pissed with the GENERAL about this re accuring on my 3 rd HHR, or am i just unlucky. GM has to be aware of this problem ? would'nt you think.
regards&later KEWATIN:gnonespet:

swerv0428 08-22-2012 08:19 PM

Hmm. Sorry to hear about that. I have 73k on mine and no noticble dents in the hood. Lots of paint chips but no dents.

SS fan 08-22-2012 08:33 PM

They are awfully thin, and I'm clumsy, the repair guy has got 600 since I got the SS, and the Dealer had to fix 3 they did just trying to work on it.

Swerve try this stuff. http://www.drcolorchip.com/:thumb:

swerv0428 08-22-2012 08:57 PM

Thanks for that link. I may give it a shot. I need something.

geg 08-22-2012 11:33 PM

sometimes use a protective film. Transparent or colored.
It is attached by means of water, like a dark film on the glass. Almost unnoticeable, found only if specifically look.
This is Camry photo, the hood is protected with transparent film.
http://www.drive2.ru/cars/toyota/cam...2256910332738/
If you use color film - a great opportunity for creativity and image tuning.

Old Lar 08-23-2012 06:02 AM

I used drcolorchip and did NOT have real good luck at paint chip repair. It did not fill in the chip, but just smeared the paint across the area.

redhot 08-23-2012 06:48 AM

I had good luck using this http://www.amazon.com/LANGKA-Complet.../dp/B000BAV602. You use regular chip repair paint and let it dry for 20-30 min., then buff it down.

solman98 08-23-2012 07:51 AM

6 years an no hood dents. What's causing them?

db/sb 08-23-2012 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by solman98 (Post 664997)
6 years an no hood dents. What's causing them?

I don't have any either after 6+ years. Apparently they are caused by putting your 'hand or elbo' on it while working on it or washing it, I guess.

kwe45919 08-23-2012 10:20 AM

I have to scrub my hood with a bit of force to remove bug gus and such and I've not created any types of dents. Most of those, unless creased, should pop out with a swift pop with the palm of your hand....

Tyler Harvey 08-23-2012 02:10 PM

Heavy hail will cause dents on our hoods and sides. We seem to have a thin body. :)

foolmoon_design 08-23-2012 03:06 PM

I got a few hail pops. Hideous

ChevyMgr 08-23-2012 03:18 PM

Only way I know of metal having dents is physical contact.

But what I am confused about is Cheesed Off. Is this a new or old term?

kwe45919 08-23-2012 03:24 PM

Gotta be new....like newer than when I was in highschool in the early 90's fo' sho'........:lol:

JoeR 08-23-2012 03:31 PM

Actually, "cheesed off" is likely a term older than Brad (ChevyMgr)! :roflol:

ChevyMgr 08-23-2012 03:42 PM

:cowboy: Pretty sure it's not a Texas saying. :cowboy:

Tyler Harvey 08-23-2012 03:46 PM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...ttachment3.jpg

Brad, my first HHR was proof of hail damage. This was from before.

db/sb 08-23-2012 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR (Post 665066)
Actually, "cheesed off" is likely a term older than Brad (ChevyMgr)! :roflol:

How old does one have to be? I'm 62 and I'm unfamiliar with the term.......

ChevyMgr 08-23-2012 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb (Post 665070)
How old does one have to be? I'm 62 and I'm unfamiliar with the term.......

I'm a spring chicken compared to you (56)

foolmoon_design 08-23-2012 04:21 PM

Sounds like a Wisconsin thing. He is in Ontario don't cha know

kewatin 08-23-2012 06:55 PM

KEWATIN here,thanks for all your responses, no it is not hail damage/ my car is sheltered in a garage. the only probable excuse i have after putting 5400 moles on it was that it made 5 extensive ferry trips in the holds of these ships while vacationing to newfound&labrador and also to prince edward island and 4 other provinces down east and perhaps the ships staff were not as carfull chocking vehicle down, also it was parked beside a staircase to upper decks which is a zoo with passengers leaving &departing vessel when you are given command to access your vehicle. in regards to cheezed off it was to really control my swearing on a family accessed website,at 72 yrs of age i have a repoir of swear words and do not want to be banned from my favourite site. i am going to try the dry ice rubbing tratment to see if i can remove them this way thru contraction of the metal. most folks would probably not see them pesky little blemishes ,but i do/ i still sy the metal is way to thin/ geez i used to sit &crawl all over my 50 fords&mercs&nada. maybe iam to old school? ya think? i still know quality when i see it &trust me it ain;t in the hoods of these HISTORICAL HOT RODS HHR
REGARDS&LATER KEWATIN AYE/OR IS IT EH/

kwe45919 08-23-2012 08:10 PM

Glad you posted back on the "cheezed thing. You may be in the upper age group but I'd love to have a chance to go back in time and "work on those 50 Fords' and Mercs'. That was a time only you have experianced and I can only dream of. :twothumbs:

foolmoon_design 08-23-2012 08:12 PM

:yes:

whopper 08-23-2012 10:55 PM

"after putting 5400 moles on it. ..."

Well that would do it - them moles ain't too heavy if you just got one, but 5400 can get to be a large weight. ;)

SS fan 08-24-2012 12:47 AM

:lol::lol::lol: There are a couple of the critters running around my front yard. Take them please !!!:twothumbs:

db/sb 08-24-2012 06:47 AM

*Note to self* - Always use spell check before posting on this site........:smile:

kwe45919 08-24-2012 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb (Post 665159)
*Note to self* - Always use spell check before posting on this site........:smile:

Why? It gives us something to di.......;)

Grizzly old man 08-24-2012 10:55 AM

When we first got our HHR around two years ago I looked it over for dents and found a few.

I used the canned air you get for cleaning computers and such and a hair dryer.

It 'worked' more or less and did not damage the paint at all. There are several more now but these seem to be a lot deeper and the canned air and blow dryer did not faze them this time.

I'm trying to find a source for dry ice. I know its still available just not so much locally.

Dry ice is what the mobile dent removal folks use. They also use a propane powered heat source or an electric heat gun.

foolmoon_design 08-24-2012 12:00 PM

I think you can still get dry ice at Walmart, it is usually at the front of the store

Grizzly old man 08-24-2012 04:52 PM

When I asked at our local walmart they told me that sometimes frozen foods come in with chunks of dry ice mixed in the items but they can't customers have it because its really carbon dioxide and that can be harmful.

I know from experience {in my youth} that if you put a chunk of it in a 2 liter bottle and cap it tight in a while it will explode with a pretty loud boom so maybe that's why they don't let the common folk have it.

Same deal with the local grocery stores, they do get some in now and again they just won't let you have it even to try and get the dents out of your car.

kewatin 08-24-2012 07:04 PM

KEWATIN HERE
well thanks again for replys, and yes i should have used spell check, but my anger turned to nervous and moles should have been miles. i used to use dry ice &liquid nitrogen to install axles into diff carriers etc with an interference fit., and we used to buy it locally from liquid air products,also people ship fresh fish overseas with dry ice. i found a source in SARNIA,ONT aka chemical valley where all the oil from out west comes in to be refined &re distrbuted,which is about 35 min north of where i live. willpost results if i get some. also you folks in the usa should be able to get from a company called PAX-AIR they usually have distributors all a round.
regards&later KEWATIN