General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

daytime running light options

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:16 PM
DWC

daytime running light options

I have noticed on other HHRs that only the parking lights are lit as they drive. On my 2007 HHR only my headlights light as my daytime running lights, unless I turn off the auto light option. I would prefer only the parking lights during the daylight hours but do not know if it requires a different module or procedure to turn off the headlights during the daytime and automatically illuminate the parking lights for my dtrls.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:21 PM

parking lights for daytime running lights is on 2006 models only. 2007+ have the low beams as daytime running lights.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:22 PM

That was a mod GM made for the 07's. 06's have the parking lights only. There may be a way if you can get your hands on 06 parts.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by KNEZRYD
That was a mod GM made for the 07's. 06's have the parking lights only. There may be a way if you can get your hands on 06 parts.
I dont think it is parts more like programmed but could be wrong.

Last edited by shaginwgn; 04-15-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by shaginwgn
I dont think it parts more like programmed but could be wrong.
This is from the GM repair manuals.

Here's how they did it in 2006:

The ambient light sensor is a light sensitive transistor that varies its voltage signal to the body control module (BCM) in response to changes to the outside (ambient) light level. When the BCM receives this signal, it will either turn ON the daytime running lamps (DRL) or the headlights if the headlamp switch is in the AUTO position. Any function or condition that turns ON the headlights will cancel the DRL operation. With the headlight switch in the AUTO position, the headlights will either be turned ON or OFF, after an approximate 30-second delay depending on whether daylight or low light conditions are sensed. The DRL illuminates the park/turn signal and DRL lamps. The DRL will operate when the ignition switch is in the ON position, the gear selector is not in the PARK position, and the parking brake is released. When these conditions have been met and the ambient light sensor indicates daytime conditions, the DRL will illuminate.

DRL operation in manual transmission equipped vehicles will occur when the ignition switch is in the ON position, and the parking brake is released.

And here is how they do it now (2007-2008):

The ambient light sensor is used to monitor outside lighting conditions. The ambient light sensor provides a voltage signal that will vary between 0.2 and 4.9 volts depending on outside lighting conditions. The body control module (BCM) provides a low reference ground and 5-volt reference signal to the ambient light sensor. The BCM monitors the ambient light sensor signal circuit to determine if outside lighting conditions are correct for either daytime running lights (DRL) or automatic lamp control (ALC) when the headlamp switch is in the AUTO position. In daylight conditions the BCM will apply ground to the DRL relay control circuit causing the DRL relay coil to energize. With the DRL relay energized, the switch contacts close allowing battery voltage to flow through the DRL fuse via the DRL control circuit illuminating the low beam headlamps at reduced intensity. The DRL control circuit that supplies the low beam headlamp fuses with voltage contains a loop of wire that acts as resistance. This resistance is responsible for the low beam headlamps illuminating at a reduced intensity. Any function or condition that turns on the headlamps will cancel DRL operation.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 04-15-2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: I'm ADD.....
Old 04-15-2008, 08:54 PM

I'm glad I've got an '06, I like the amber running lights.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:56 PM

I have asked this everytime this topic is brought up, is there for sure a way to change my 07 to the ambers?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by chadpuska
I have asked this everytime this topic is brought up, is there for sure a way to change my 07 to the ambers?
Chad, look at the two descriptions above and tell me if you want to tackle that re-wire. Is it sure fire? Nothing in life is. But if you want the schematics to each system I can supply you with it.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:36 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to just switch to the parking lights if you want to? I usually just turn mine off during the day.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Chad, look at the two descriptions above and tell me if you want to tackle that re-wire. Is it sure fire? Nothing in life is. But if you want the schematics to each system I can supply you with it.
See this is why your THE MAN Mr chevymgr i just figured it was a ecm reprogram. Ill stick with my Headlight DRLs.

Quick Reply: daytime running light options