General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Extra Key Fobs and Programming

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:41 AM

Extra Key Fobs and Programming

Just as a heads up to everyone who doesn't know....If you ever purchase extra key fobs (keyless entry remotes) you have to have all of your remotes present in order to properly program them. For instance if you have 4 remotes total, you must have all 4 remotes there because they all need to be reprogrammed at once. I bought 2 extra remotes for spares, took them to the dealer to get them programmed, and while there I checked to make sure that they (new remotes) worked, and they did......But I didn't bother checking my originals, and when I got home and tried to lock the doors using my original remote and nothing happend. Then I went and got my wife's and nothing happend. So I called the Service Dept. where I went, explained the situation and I asked them if it was a possibility that all the remotes had to be there during the programming, and after a long pause............ their reply was....... I guess so......I find it funny that the service writer or the mechanic doing the reprogramming didn't even know this...Is the HHR the only vehicle that is like this? (I doubt it) Or is it possible that I'm the only person in the region that ever needed a remote programmed (I doubt it), or is it simply possible I'm dealing with idiots?.....

BTW at least they didn't charge me where I bought the car.. I called the dealer that is close to my house, and they wanted to charge me $60.00!! but maybe for the $60.00 it would have been done right and I wouldn't have had to go back twice......Now you know.....
Old 10-28-2006, 12:51 AM

Sounds like a garage door opener, you have to have them all there when you add more. If you get replacement keys you can program them yourself. I posted a thread on how to do that back in Nov 05.