Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Headlight not working? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/headlight-not-working-60567/)

Ralphie68 07-10-2018 04:46 PM

Headlight not working?

OK, when I fire up my 2011 HHR, both headlights come on for a few seconds, as normal. Then, (in the daylight), both lights go out. Then, when I am driving, only one headlight comes on. When I turn the lights from auto to on, one comes on, until I hit the brights switch, then both come on.

Is this a switch problem, or a transmission switch? I would assume that the trans has something to do with the headlights coming on automatically in the auto mode.

Any ideas?

Bueller?

Anybody?

-Ralphie

Greybeard999 07-10-2018 05:02 PM

Put a new bulb in it...

Oldblue 07-10-2018 05:24 PM

X2, replace the bulbs.

donbrew 07-10-2018 05:32 PM

Did you check the fuses? I bet one of the lo beam fuses is blown.

The DRL are not the same as headlight, they are on a different circuit but are the lo beam. So Both on in DRL mode, both on in hi beam, one on in lo beam means a fuse.

How quick did you expect a response?

RJ_RS_SS_350 07-10-2018 06:36 PM

So the only time the one side lights up is momentarily at startup, and with high beams? Sounds like a bad low beam, or a bad fuse for that side low beam, underhood fuse block, #65 or #66.

Starts at page 4-11 in your owner manual, shows how the DRL/Headlamps operate. Takes a minute to wrap your head around it.

Ralphie68 07-10-2018 07:56 PM

Thanks, guys. I didn't know about the DRL fuses. As soon as the wife gets back with the car, I'll check fuses.

Thanks again!

-Ralphie

Ralphie68 07-11-2018 02:42 PM

OK. I just checked all the fuses. One fuse for DRL, good. One fuse for left low beam, good. One fuse for right low beam, (the one that's out), good. When it cools down tonight I'll check the bulbs.

donbrew 07-11-2018 03:33 PM

Now we need to know exactly what light is not working. R high, R low, R DRL.

Like I said the DRL and Low beams use the same element BUT on a different circuit.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...32b2765f46.png

Ralphie68 07-11-2018 04:33 PM

Thanks for the reply. Right High - working. Right Low - working. Right DRL - not working.

donbrew 07-11-2018 06:08 PM

I don't know how that is possible.

It is possible that the Left Low out, L DRL on ,R DRL out, R low on because of that odd routing hilited.

Here is a slightly clearer wiring diagram.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...64f6d5816c.png

Ralphie68 07-11-2018 06:43 PM

"I don't know how that is possible."

Now you know my confusion! I think I'll just stop by the Chevrolet dealer tomorrow and ask the guy at the parts counter how this could happen.

I used to be an electronics technician in the Air Force and for many years in civilian life, and I know how to read a schematic. Thanks for posting them, but they don't tell me how this could be happening.

Wish me luck!

-Ralphie

Greybeard999 07-11-2018 07:07 PM

Chewed up ground wire...

RJ_RS_SS_350 07-11-2018 07:29 PM

That's not what you said before. You said one light on in daylight, and when you switch from 'auto' to 'on', there is one light on.

Ralphie68 07-11-2018 07:52 PM

OK, when I first posted, I didn't know about the DRLs. Now that I do, it clarifies my problem somewhat. At startup, the low beams come on for a few seconds, then go off. In the daytime, when the engine is running, and the transmission isn't in park, the left DRL comes on by itself. After dark, both low beams come on. When the switch is made to high beams, both high beams come on.

Sorry for any confusion. God knows, nobody is more confused than I am at this point!

Greybeard, the chewed up ground wire is my best bet at this point. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, any ideas where that wire might be?

-Ralphie

Greybeard999 07-11-2018 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ralphie68 (Post 847819)

Greybeard, the chewed up ground wire is my best bet at this point. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, any ideas where that wire might be?

-Ralphie

There is a ground wire for the right headlight that comes all the way over to the left side inner fender. (for some odd reason) It runs across the radiator support.

donbrew 07-11-2018 08:29 PM

I think you still have it wrong. The DRLs come on when the trans goes in gear. The headlights go on at dusk or when the wipers are on or when you turn the switch to on. I never noticed the lights flashing on when the engine starts.

I think you are still mis identifying which lights are on.

All of the lights on each side share the same ground; the right side goes to the left side of the radiator support, the left side goes to the left strut tower.

Oldblue 07-11-2018 08:50 PM

Look in here

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...cations-56504/

gio89kid 07-11-2018 10:47 PM

Well if it’s anything like my HHR the DRLs are the highbeams.

So power on with DRLs (lower voltage highbeams), turn on lows with one bulb out, then put on brights with both bulbs working.

Sounds like you just need to replace the bulb as your lower wattage filament is out.

You can also test this by pulling the DRL fuse like mentioned earlier.

donbrew 07-12-2018 08:12 AM

Somebody messed with your wiring. DRL is low beam, look at the wiring schematics.

Some cars have low voltage high beams, not HHR.

gio89kid 07-12-2018 08:33 AM

Well the easiest thing to do now is to pull the DRL fuse and tell us what happens.

Ralphie68 07-23-2018 07:52 AM

Just looked at it again. My DRL relay seems to be missing! Anybody know the part number I can order?

Ralphie68 07-24-2018 09:24 PM

Well, the right headlight finally gave up the ghost for good, so I changed it this morning. What a PIA! To change it, you have to take off the front wheel, then take off the inner fender liner, then change the bulb. Good luck getting the bulb and socket assembly to turn a quarter turn clockwise to lock in the socket! Also good luck getting all the fasteners for the inner fender liner back in. Especially since you ripped the heads off half of them pulling them out!

Anyway, headlights work, but no DRL. Ask me if I care!

Still don't know what happened to the DRL relay. Don't care.

-Ralphie

whopper 07-24-2018 11:43 PM

So we can close this. The suggestions at the start to change the bulb was right on.

FYI: the easiest way of changing the bulb only involves removing a couple of the inner fender fasteners, turning the wheel to the max, and reaching in and swapping the bulb by feel - just make sure the old rubber gasket is not left in the socket.. You really didn't need to remove the wheel and inner fender liner. Ripping the heads off the fasteners means you were not using the right tools or technique - most of us have replaced several headlights over the year without any problems.