"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

HHR Overheat Timing Balance Shaft Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 04:50 PM

Post HHR Overheat Timing Balance Shaft Nightmare

Hello everyone, (BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, PLEASE READ NOTES AT BOTTOM)

I am no amatuer to using forums but I am new here and I would like to provide some, what I believe to be, valuable information and insight on this experience because I could NOT find didly squat on it anywhere...

First let me start with... If your HHR or vehicle with a ecotec engine is at around 180k miles, replace the timing chain, balance shaft chain, and guides before you end up regretting it. Go buy the kits and just get it done...

My wife called me one day saying her car was overheating... (Minus the side conversation) I went and traded cars with her and nursed it home...

I checked and replaced the thermostat thinking that was the issue... Thermostat had a broken inner gasket but unfortunately was not the case...

So I bought the water pump and started to read the instructions on how to replace it... Okay... Since it's balance shaft chain driven, going to need to take it to my shop to work on it...

Pulled everything apart and took off the inspection plate for the water pump to insert the timing tool and low and behold, no chain on the water pump gear...

So I bought both timing chain and balance shaft chain kits, serpentine belt, another thermostat (since I overheated the new one), and a few other things I will list here later on to help anyone that goes through this...

Took off the timing chain cover to find broken guides, sheared guide bolts, and a broken balance shaft gear...

Now... Replacing the guides might look simple and it fairly is, however I missed ONE bolt on the black timing chain guide... Missing this bolt caused my car to overheat, shift rough, and misfire like crazy once the car reached 185 to 200 degrees... Then once I placed the car in neutral and hit the gas, it stopped. And it would only be noticable if I came to a stop...

The bolt I missed was behind a plug on the upper right hand corner (pulley side) of the engine that comes out with an alan head.

Once I figured out what I missed, I had to take everything back apart again. But when I took it all apart, I found that the screw was totally missing. Not broken off but missing like it worked itself out.

Bought a new screw (Part number 11588522), and installed the chain properly. Car runs great. Misfires a little bit but that is because of all the metal shavings flowing through the cam phasers and plugging up the VVT solenoids. (You will have to replace those too.)

Symptoms before hand (Before replacing the chain kits and the engine overheating):
- Vehicle surging/Misfiring. (No the throttle body replacment will not fix it)
- Going through VVT solenoids like a fat kid eating cake (Can also be dirty oil, replacing these will also improve shifting).
- Poor Gas mileage
- Rough shifting
- Loss of horse power

Parts replaced:

-Timing Chain Kit (Timing chain kit includes chain, lower gear, chain tensioner, guides, and oiler. Note: I did not replace my phasers but I strongly suggest it.)
- Balance shaft Chain Kit (Balance shaft chain kit includes chain, new gears (will be different than old ones), tensioner, and guides.)
-Thermostat
- Water pump
- Throttle Body (Try to clean it since you have access to it.)
- MAF/IAT
- Engine Coolant
- Oil and Oil Filter (Numerous times, Metal Shavings)
- Coolant Temp Sensor
- Cam Position Sensors
- VVT solenoids (Also known as Cam Shaft Actuating Positioning Solenoids (That is a mouth full))
- Spark plugs
- Valve Cover Gasket (You have to take it off to replace the timing chain)
- Radiator Cap
- Three timing chain guide bolts (May need more and they are all the same for the balance shaft chain guides as well... Torque to 11 ft lbs)

Parts I removed to accomplish this:
No I did not drop the engine...

- Air filter assembly (Two nuts in the back holding it on and two hose clamps. Do not forget to unplug the MAF/IAT Sensor)
- Heat shield behind engine (The bolts that hold on the Air Filter Assembly are the same for that heat shield, and there is a third right on the exhaust)
-Thermostat housing (Remove upper housing and thermostat first. Remove coolant temp sensor, remove three bolts that hold it in. The housing and the tube should pull out after removing these.)
- Washer resvoir (Just buy a new pump because the gasket will leak if you don't, removal is simple. If you cannot figure it out, you should consider replacing the timing chain.)
- Valve cover (Remove the engine lift eyelit on the upper right hand side, two bolts holding it in)
- Engine mount on pulley side (Place a jack with a WOOD block under the engine to support it, I used the oil pan because it is a hardened steel and felt it could support it but it is a bad practice.)
- Serpentine Belt
- Belt tensioner
- Water pump
- Harmonic Balancer (shouldn't need a puller)
- Timing Chain Cover

Other Notes:
Note 1: Before jumping into replacing the water pump, Remove the water pump inspection cover on the pulley side of the engine, use your smart phone and place it on video with the light on, and veriffy that the balance shaft chain is on the water pump gear!!! If its not... You need a both chain kits.
Note 2: Make sure you just reset the timing and unless you have a helper, just buy or rent the tool to hold the cam timing in place once you have set the timing properly. (You have to have the chain on to do this. Do it BEFORE you take off the old chain.
Note 3: This is a VERY common issue with the Ecotec engines. I strongly suggest getting this done.
Note 4: Use YouTube and Chiltons manuals for help.

If I can think of or remember anything else, I will be sure to update this thread.

Thank you and I hope this helps someone.

Last edited by UWZerokoolX; 04-14-2018 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Added Extra Important Notes
Old 04-14-2018, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Nice write up, that bolt is best replaced by one of these

Solves that missing bolt issue, and a dab of Locktite.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Nice write up, that bolt is best replaced by one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAe2...&feature=share

Solves that missing bolt issue, and a dab of Locktite.
Mr. Blue,

Could you please provide me with the part number to that beautiful piece of common sense engineering?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:03 AM
Administrator

A version of it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Timing-Chai...9239814?_ul=CA

Dorman has a version

And you can email Mike Brandt

Broken Ecotec front timing chain guide bolt? Have I got a fix for that! - General Forum - ecotecpower.com - the ecotec enthusiast site
Old 04-15-2018, 06:05 PM

This is the back area of the engine, I took off the heat shield to make it easier to take off the thermostat housing and water pump assembly. Don't forget to unplug and remove that coolant temp sensor or you might break the clip.
Location of water pump inspection plate. Use your mobile device on video with light on to inspect whether or not your balance shaft chain is still on or loose.
Tensioner pulley and harmonic balancer.

The balance shaft chain assembly and the lower side of the timing chain. You can see the broken balance shaft gear, broken, guides, sheered timing chain and balance shaft bolts.
With the chain assemblys in this current condition, my HHR would still start and run, it would just over heat.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:10 PM

Looking at these pictures now... Maybe I should have replace the front main seal that seals the harmonic balancer shaft... But that oil is not from the timing cover. I keep blowing oil pressure sending units and trying to find a good sturdy one.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Administrator

If the seal isn’t leaking , leave it
The AC Delco D1849A oil pressure switch has cured my leak.
Is your leaking at the threads or the bake o lite cover?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:33 AM

If the seal isn’t leaking , leave it
The AC Delco D1849A oil pressure switch has cured my leak.
Is your leaking at the threads or the bake o lite cover?
The last one I replaced, it looked like it was leaking from around the connector itself. Pulled the electrical connector out then oil came out. Doesn't really make sense to me. Never seen a sensor do that before.

I've went through 3 so far. 2 duralast and 1 dealer provided. (Not including the original.) Maybe bad luck?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Lots of possibilities, did you replace them or dealer or mechanical shop? I’ve seen a couple with tool marks on the plastic, similar to vise grips or pliers.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:45 AM

Lots of possibilities, did you replace them or dealer or mechanical shop? I’ve seen a couple with tool marks on the plastic, similar to vise grips or pliers.
Yes, I did replace them myself. I will give it another try with your part number and see what I get.

Quick Reply: HHR Overheat Timing Balance Shaft Nightmare