Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   How do you 'splain this? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/how-do-you-splain-5238/)

MOTRV8D 10-22-2006 07:03 PM

How do you 'splain this?

I posted this earlier in the HHR SS thread, but I thought it would be an interesting topic by itself...

Here are some really interesting MPG specs regarding the engines available in the Solstice... the turbo Ecotec 2.0L gets better mileage than the n/a Ecotecs...
hmmm, wonder why? Is it b/c of the extra .4L of the N/A motors?

SOLSTICE MPG mileage estimates
2.4L EcotecŪ DOHC VVT(manual): 20/28 (city/highway mpg)
2.4L EcotecŪ DOHC VVT (automatic): 22/26 (city/highway mpg)
2.0L Turbo EcotecŪ DOHC VVT(manual): 22/31(city/highway mpg)
2.0L Turbo EcotecŪ DOHC VVT (automatic): 21/29(city/highway mpg)

Of course... if you had a turbo HHR, you'd prolly be zinging that baby near redline a lot (I know I would) and would not get nearly 31-stick or 29-auto.

So how DOES the turbo engine get better mileage?

Grohlinator 10-22-2006 09:28 PM

I think turbochargers help fuel economy, so maybe that with the sightly smaller displacement gives it the better numbers.

AMHobby 10-22-2006 09:29 PM

If you keep your foot out of it the smaller displacment 2.0 will get better MPG

ymerej_mortsdnil 10-22-2006 10:13 PM

I just wanted to say "AMHobby", you're rims look really sweet on your HHR! Chevy should consider using those Cobalt rims on the HHR! NICE RIDE! :nuts:

fastsuv 10-23-2006 07:21 AM

The major reason for the fuel economy improvement is probably the direct injection. Fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder (under very high pressure) instead of having to go around the intake valve (diesels use direct injection). This results in better control of the fuel mixture and therefore better efficiency. Most of the discussion of the new 2.0L turbo engine centers on the turbo part of it. The direct injection part is actually the more high-tech part of it.

Steve

FlintHHR 10-23-2006 10:48 AM

It gets better gas mileage because of the better breathing setup and the direct-injection. Read the Car and Driver issue that had the Solstice GXP test.

captain howdy 10-23-2006 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by FlintHHR
Read the Car and Driver issue that had the Solstice GXP test.

I would rather read the Hot Rod where they stuffed a V8 in one. :lol:

MOTRV8D 10-23-2006 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by FlintHHR
It gets better gas mileage because of the better breathing setup and the direct-injection. Read the Car and Driver issue that had the Solstice GXP test.

Yeah, it seems to be all about the breathing. And smaller displacement helps too.
I can't wait for the HHR SS to come out!
Wonder how much they'll want for one? Plus the dealers will want a premium at first, I'll betcha. They'll prolly be something like almost $30K out the door when introduced.

captain howdy 10-23-2006 01:58 PM

I hope nobody would be dumb enough to spend $30,000 on a turbo HHR when you could buy cars that would easily kick it's ass for that much or less.

Ronzo 10-23-2006 02:10 PM

I definitely would not pay $30k for it.

I know somoene who owns the Turbo PT rag top and he did pay about that for it... it moves, but it ain't worth 30 Grand.