Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   How to tell where HHR's engine was built? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/how-tell-where-hhrs-engine-built-8638/)

Lone Ranger 06-12-2007 10:26 AM

How to tell where HHR's engine was built?

The Ecotec 2.2 and 2.4 used in HHR are manufactured in Tonawanda, New York and Kaiserslautern, Germany.

Anyone know where the engine ID# is located on the engine block? The ID# probably can be decoded to determine the plant where the engine was built (US or Germany).

JoeR 06-12-2007 10:57 AM

Might be wrong, but...

2.2 is mainly manufactured in Tonawanda, NY. The German ones are likely for European applications. (the EcoTec originated in Europe long ago!)

2.4 is manufactured in Spring Hill, TN.

Black Rose 06-12-2007 11:24 AM

The supercharged Ecotecs come from Germany. The normally aspirated engines come from either Tonawanda or Spring Hill. The Ecotec turbo comes from Spring Hill.

According to the gminsidenews site, all Ecotecs (except S/C) come from Spring Hill but Desert Coyote indicated that some come from Tonawanda (his wife has some involvement with that plant I believe).

Lone Ranger 06-12-2007 12:13 PM

I thought the Spring Hill plant only supplied to Saturn?

Goose 06-12-2007 01:17 PM

GM has gotten a lot more involved in Saturn...I know that sounds funny but that is what has happened. Saturn has preety much be sucked inline with the other GM brands

Goose

Desert Coyote 06-12-2007 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger (Post 158442)
The Ecotec 2.2 and 2.4 used in HHR are manufactured in Tonawanda, New York and Kaiserslautern, Germany.

Anyone know where the engine ID# is located on the engine block? The ID# probably can be decoded to determine the plant where the engine was built (US or Germany).

Setting the record straight ...

Tonawanda produces the 2.2L Ecotec. The 2.4L is considered a "High Feature" engine, and as such is produced by Spring Hill. They also produce the turbos used in the Cobalt SS. The Kaiserslautern engines are used for European market vehicles only due to different European Union emission regulations.

JoeR 06-12-2007 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Desert Coyote (Post 158525)
Setting the record straight ...

Tonawanda produces the 2.2L Ecotec. The 2.4L is considered a "High Feature" engine, and as such is produced by Spring Hill. They also produce the turbos used in the Cobalt SS. The Kaiserslautern engines are used for European market vehicles only due to different European Union emission regulations.

BBuuutttt...

There is no turbo in the Cobalt SS/SC, it's a blower. The 2.0 LSJ is produced in Germany and Chevy has already announced that it will be discontinued. The new 2.0 turbo, the LNF is now available in the Solstice and Redline and the one in the prototype HHR spotted in Germany. Now where is that built??