Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   insurance value (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/insurance-value-37021/)

catdaddy137 08-15-2011 09:08 AM

insurance value

How do i prove to the insurance co the value of my HHR ?
I know it is a very rare HHR.
It is a 2008 2lt panel with EVERY available option .
The only problem is it has 175,000 miles.
It is very hard to find anouther like mine.
Is there a list/record of how many were made ?
They are offering $7000.
I believe it should be closer to $11,000 even with the mileage.
Could I be wrong ?
Thanks for any help.

843de 08-15-2011 09:17 AM

Unfortunately the underwriter will only ever see a "2008 Chevrolet HHR with 175,000 miles", to the insurance company it doesn't matter whether its the only one ever built that way....or just one of 10,000 built that way.

If in 25 years the HHR becomes a collectible, then the rarity of certain configurations will affect the value somewhat(and that's a long shot), but to your insurance company....its just another HHR and nothing more.

Head over to www.compnine.com, and input your VIN, it will give you a breakdown of your options and the approximate number produced with the same configuration that model year.

catdaddy137 08-15-2011 10:26 AM

One of a kind !!!!!!!! ???

:one::one:WOW !!!!!! REALLY !! ??????:wow::breakdanc
Could my HHR really be 1 of a kind.
If I read correctly , that is what that web site claims.
If so , my HHR surely must be worth more than $7000.?????:clueless:
My insurance co told me they don't have to pay me what it would cost to replace my vehicle . (which I think is totally unfair).
But they did say that they are required to pay me the current fair market value.
Whatever ...Whats the dif ???
I wonder if this makes it worth trying to fix.?
Both doors seem to open/close fine , but the dash is pushed closer to the steering wheel, or maybe the wheel was somehow pushed towards the dash(maybe by my body weight @ 55mph) ???

Thanks for that web site.
I allways knew my HHR was rare , but I never thought it was that rare.
Kind of makes me feel like I've suffered even greater loss:confused: :playviolin:

catdaddy137 08-15-2011 10:35 AM

Here's the proof ?

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=3GCDA35P68S549535

under "raity" , it reads 1 , but then it says 7 with at least as many options.

(but not the same exact combination of options) ( I guess ? )

843de 08-15-2011 10:37 AM

The difference between market value and replacement value can be significant I'm afraid. If the book value of your HHR is $7,000 and the cost to replace it is say $12,000(just to pull a number out of the air), unless you have a policy that is written to pay for the replacement value....you're out the difference between the two.

Depending on the force of the impact, the displacement of the steering column is probably due to the distortion of the floor pan in the accident. It sounds like its a goner unfortunately, that kind of major structural damage is just too much to safely repair.

Its entirely possible you do have a "one off", but you might be able to replace it with something just as special.

catdaddy137 08-15-2011 10:42 AM

How many 2008 ?

Does anyone have info ?

How many 2008 HHRs made ?

How many 2008 HHR panels ?

How many 2008 HHR 2lt panels ?

843de 08-15-2011 10:46 AM

Here's a link to a post on the 2008 production numbers, look at the sixth column under "1AS26"...which is the 2LT Panel.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/gms-2008-hhr-production-numbers-25678/

catdaddy137 08-15-2011 10:49 AM

Thanks ..., rarity ?

Wouldn't the rarity factor add some value ???

843de 08-15-2011 11:00 AM

Like I said, maybe when HHR's become collectibles in the distant future, but now it just means it was/is special to you and those of us in the HHR community. To your insurance company, its just another loss to underwrite. You should maybe contact your agent to see if they have any sway with the head office in getting you a larger check cut.

catdaddy137 08-15-2011 11:01 AM

numbers

OK , so

36,969 2008 HHRs

1207 2008 2lt panels

100 2008 w/ 2.4 engine

If I read that page correctly ???

843de 08-15-2011 03:58 PM

Let's see, going by the data sheet you have...

99,176 HHR's produced for model year 2008

1,207 were 2LT Panels

The "100" means that 100% of those 2LT's were equipped with the 2.4 engine as it was the only engine offered.

Once you get past the first line of data which is actual units produced, the rest of the data is expressed in percentages, hence 100% for 2.4 engines in 2LT models for instance.

sleeper 08-15-2011 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 843de (Post 584057)
Let's see, going by the data sheet you have...

99,176 HHR's produced for model year 2008

1,207 were 2LT Panels

The "100" means that 100% of those 2LT's were equipped with the 2.4 engine as it was the only engine offered.

Once you get past the first line of data which is actual units produced, the rest of the data is expressed in percentages, hence 100% for 2.4 engines in 2LT models for instance.

That's actually a very low percentage of 2LT Panels for '08 compared to total HHRs sold in 08 model year. :twothumbs:
Even tho only 266 were made with the exact options mine came with. Ins doesn't care about that, even if I do..

Good luck Catdaddy...

Krash Kadillak 08-15-2011 10:04 PM

I was a bit intrigued with your problem, Catdaddy - the fact that you have a loaded '08 2LT panel. By all accounts here on the forum, most of us would say yes, as an HHR, a 2LT panel would be rare. Unfortunately for you, it's not only HHR afficionados that determine their market values. The HHR is thrown together with everything, and what HHR's sell for to anybody is what determines market value. The HHR is not yet (and may never be) anywhere close to being a 'special interest' or 'collector' vehicle.

I get involved with vehicle values as a part of my job - I'm a auto insurance damage appraiser by profession.

What might be difficult for you is to actually find a similar HHR to either buy, or just to get an idea of what yours is worth. Since there are obviously many more regular 'wagon' HHR's out there than panels, it might help you to know what the value difference there is between a 'wagon' HHR and a panel, assuming everything else is the same.

I took a Durham, NC zip code (27703 to be exact), then did two Kelley Blue Book evaluations - everything being identical (2.4 engine, 175,000 mileage, fully loaded, etc...) , except one was a LT panel, and the other was a LT wagon (Kelley doesn't classify the 2LT as a separate model - you have to 'option it up' basically...) I got a Private Party value of $7,710 for the wagon, and $7,785 for the panel. So there you go - Kelley Blue Book says the panel is worth around $75 more (for a 2008)

== So with this information, you can use 'regular' HHR's in a market survey and just make an 'adjustment' for them not being a panel. For example, if regular HHR wagon 'A' was selling for $8,000, if it was a panel, it should sell for $8,075.

Hope this helps.

Marshall

sleeper 08-15-2011 10:09 PM

The mileage 175 K certainly is NOT helping either..IMO.

sick50ford 08-16-2011 02:57 AM

Something this "rare" would need a predetermined cash value type insurance for sure; similar to a policy I keep on my hot rod:skull1:.

sounds like you're lucky to get $7-8k in this case, 175k miles..

American & Proud 08-16-2011 02:58 AM

You havent said, or I missed it, but what Insurance company do you have?

Unfortunately our little HHR's aren't worth much in resale value.

I also have a 2008 2LT Panel with a 2.4 Automatic.

I LOVE it, but that won't UP it's value any.

Unless you ADD a Seperate Insurance Rider to your Policy.
I have kept a seperate rider on my vintage car and it is based on the Value set by a certified appraiser.

Pics are taken and placed on file with the insurance carrier, if it's stolen, totalled, catches fire, or whatever, I will get what my seperate rider policy is valued at.

I'm not sure, but I bet if someone wanted, they Could get a similar rider on an HHR, not so sure it would be worth it though.

But on a car that is 56 years old and still a highly Collectable, it's worth the added expense, you can't just run to a dealer near you and buy another one, as easily as you can an HHR thats only 3 years old.

Even torn down getting a full complete restoration once again, I carry that Rider in case the garage burned down, or it got stolen or anything really.

Buying my HHR last year, I Wanted a brand spanking New one for myself, but as I was looking and researching, I knew they had basically No resale value on the open market. Unless you get Real Lucky and find someone Looking for Exactly what your HHR is and WANTS it Badly.

I bought mine for about 1/2 the cost of buying it brand new.
Had 19,000 miles on her and was first bought in mid 2009 by the Original owner.

Imagine how He felt after just 1 year of owning it getting Less than Half of what they sold for. :duh: :wtf::cussing: :sad: :cry:

It was just a better option for me to buy this one used over buying one New.
I Saved a ton of cash up front, paid it off in 8 Months and had plenty of room to splurge on things I wanted to add to it. And still be way ahead, Unless it's Totalled, then I Loose like everyone else. Just not as much, because of buying it used to begin with.:wink:

I plan on Keeping it a Long time, otherwise I would not have gutted my interior and added all the sound proofing that I have added. (Dynomat stuff) Regular insurance won't add that in to a total loss claim.

Depending on the amount of damage, I would try to buy it back and repair it myself. I am a former body & fender man I even have a small 20 ton air/hydraulic rammed frame puller still. OLD, but still works, was OLD when I bought it 20 years ago. :lol:

:skull:

geg 08-16-2011 06:07 AM

843de said true words - the market value and cost of repair is rarely close to each other. Moreover, the market value and appraised value for insurance purposes also differ. I say this as an insurer and this principle works in the world. Adding that the assessment of the damaged vehicle takes into account the cost remains usable parts.
But! The fundamental principle of insurance - reimbursement of actual damages. Thus, you should document to prove the market value of the car - complete analog of Owned you HHR 2008 175 000 miles. Featured this - evaluation of an independent appraiser. Perhaps the U.S. is not expensive. Estimates the value of the intact analog in the place of insurance at the time of the accident.

diskullman 08-16-2011 09:38 AM

Edmund's put the value, all options & miles included at about $12,400 for private sale, $3400 added for options, $1800 deducted for mileage.
In reality, you'ld be lucky to get $7000 regardless of rarity. It's not that rare, and the resale values on HHR's is pitiful.

pstar 08-17-2011 11:05 AM

Here's a prior post I made on a similar subject. This is how it works...

The insurance company owes you the current market value of your car in your geographical area. You want to look for similar cars for sale in your area. Remember the market value is the price sellers will take for the vehicle not the asking price. Differences in condition, options, mileage from your vehicle will either add or subtract from the value of the sample vehicle. Most carriers use a company called CCC that searches out comparison vehicles the carriers use to establish the market value of your car. Ask for this report when they make a settlement offer. Go over it carefully to make sure they reviewed your car accurately. Research craigs list, cars.com, autotrader etc. to find similar vehicles and determine if the carrier's offer is in the ball park and acceptable. If the offer's low, send examples of cars you found and demand that they up their offer or find a vehicle for you at their settlement offer. This is where it gets state specific regarding the carrier's obligation to you when settling total loss claims. Look on your state's department of insurance website and search for your state's fair claims practice regulations to figure this out or give them a call. As a last resort you can file a claim with your carrier to see if you get a better offer. Sometimes you'll have extra rights as a 1st party insured with your insurance comopany vs. a 3rd party claimant with the adverse carrier. Get your homework done now because the carrier will cut you off from your rental car shortly after they make an offer whether you accept it or not.

*Note, the above scenario pertains to a 3rd party liability claim but the info is still relevant to 1st party claims.

Old Lar 08-17-2011 11:39 AM

Unless you have collectors car insurance, the insurance company looks at the year of the car and its "blue book value". With 175,000 miles on the car, it is a car with its engine at the end of its life expectancy and unless it was rebuilt recently.

I have a 25 year old car that has 135,000 miles on it that has had thousands spent on it to keep it as good as new. I have collector's car insurance on it for $5k other wise an insurance co. would give me $500 for an old car.

HHRLEY 08-17-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by pstar (Post 584360)
Here's a prior post I made on a similar subject. This is how it works...

The insurance company owes you the current market value of your car in your geographical area. You want to look for similar cars for sale in your area. Remember the market value is the price sellers will take for the vehicle not the asking price. Differences in condition, options, mileage from your vehicle will either add or subtract from the value of the sample vehicle. Most carriers use a company called CCC that searches out comparison vehicles the carriers use to establish the market value of your car. Ask for this report when they make a settlement offer. Go over it carefully to make sure they reviewed your car accurately. Research craigs list, cars.com, autotrader etc. to find similar vehicles and determine if the carrier's offer is in the ball park and acceptable. If the offer's low, send examples of cars you found and demand that they up their offer or find a vehicle for you at their settlement offer. This is where it gets state specific regarding the carrier's obligation to you when settling total loss claims. Look on your state's department of insurance website and search for your state's fair claims practice regulations to figure this out or give them a call. As a last resort you can file a claim with your carrier to see if you get a better offer. Sometimes you'll have extra rights as a 1st party insured with your insurance company vs. a 3rd party claimant with the adverse carrier. Get your homework done now because the carrier will cut you off from your rental car shortly after they make an offer whether you accept it or not.

This is exactly how it works. Unfortunately the valuation is only as good as the information put into it. Do a search on CCC vehicle valuations and read the complaints on their and other vehicle valuation programs. Most valuations come in $1500 to $2000 under were they should be on your everyday common vehicles. Not enough to make it cost effective to fight for, but it adds up to big money for the insurance company. My best advice is to negotiate for lubrication.

pstar 08-17-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by HHRLEY (Post 584366)
This is exactly how it works. Unfortunately the valuation is only as good as the information put into it. Do a search on CCC vehicle valuations and read the complaints on their and other vehicle valuation programs. Most valuations come in $1500 to $2000 under were they should be on your everyday common vehicles. Not enough to make it cost effective to fight for, but it adds up to big money for the insurance company. My best advice is to negotiate for lubrication.

True, sort of. It's very important to review the market evaluation report to make sure the options and appearance condition of the vehicle is noted correctly. Generally, owners of older vehicles that have been well maintained e.g they spent a lot of $'s in maintenance over the years, have a difficult time finding a similar vehicle of equal condition. Those that hardly spent a dime on maintenance will make out better in long run since they kept more $ in their pockets and often end up with the same total loss settlement amount. Many mistakenly think engine component replacement will increase the settlement amount. This usually is not the case and considered general maintenance by the insurance company. Major overhaul procedures often only effect the settlement value disproportionately; a lot of $ in and only a little back.
Negotiating with an insurance company, or any entity only bears fruit under two circumstances; you have something they want or you can force an unwanted circumstance on the other party. As I mentioned previously, review your particular state's insurance claim regulations. In California it's called the Fair Claims Settlement Practices Regulations. In California, if you are unable to locate a vehicle that is very similar to yours, in a reasonable geographical proximity, for the settlement they offered, you can demand the insurance company pay the difference for a higher priced vehicle you have located or they have to find one that is suitable for the amount they offered you. How's that for a run on sentence.

Krash Kadillak 08-17-2011 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by pstar (Post 584375)
True, sort of. It's very important to review the market evaluation report to make sure the options and appearance condition of the vehicle is noted correctly. Generally, owners of older vehicles that have been well maintained e.g they spent a lot of $'s in maintenance over the years, have a difficult time finding a similar vehicle of equal condition. Those that hardly spent a dime on maintenance will make out better in long run since they kept more $ in their pockets and often end up with the same total loss settlement amount. Many mistakenly think engine component replacement will increase the settlement amount. This usually is not the case and considered general maintenance by the insurance company. Major overhaul procedures often only effect the settlement value disproportionately; a lot of $ in and only a little back.
Negotiating with an insurance company, or any entity only bears fruit under two circumstances; you have something they want or you can force an unwanted circumstance on the other party. As I mentioned previously, review your particular state's insurance claim regulations. In California it's called the Fair Claims Settlement Practices Regulations. In California, if you are unable to locate a vehicle that is very similar to yours, in a reasonable geographical proximity, for the settlement they offered, you can demand the insurance company pay the difference for a higher priced vehicle you have located or they have to find one that is suitable for the amount they offered you. How's that for a run on sentence.

Good info, Pstar. Sounds like you're also an appraiser...

As far as CCC's Valuescope reports, I would also perhaps call some of the 'comparables' provided in the survey. Quiz the sellers on their vehicles to make sure they are as described. If the selling price seems unusually low, I would also ask if the vehicle has a 'clean' title (not salvaged). I've run across a few instances where CCC didn't do their homework and included some salvage title vehicles in the survey by mistake. Even one of those at a low price can really skew the results.

pstar 08-17-2011 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Krash Kadillak (Post 584412)
Good info, Pstar. Sounds like you're also an appraiser...

As far as CCC's Valuescope reports, I would also perhaps call some of the 'comparables' provided in the survey. Quiz the sellers on their vehicles to make sure they are as described. If the selling price seems unusually low, I would also ask if the vehicle has a 'clean' title (not salvaged). I've run across a few instances where CCC didn't do their homework and included some salvage title vehicles in the survey by mistake. Even one of those at a low price can really skew the results.

Good point.

Also remember, if a 3rd party is liable for your damages and you sustained even a minor injury, you have a good chance of re-couping your total loss property damage losses on an injury claim.

interrex 08-18-2011 05:23 AM

I will sell you mine for your replacement for $11,000

catdaddy137 08-20-2011 01:23 PM

thanks . and

Thanks for all of the feedback.
I really value combination of experience and opinions (experience the most ;)).
So what I'm concluding is that it is unfortunate , but what they are offering is (fair ) ???
I could have made a medical claim . My max benifit was $1000 , if I understand my policy correctly. I was in fact injured , bruised and very sore, hopefully nothing serious.
I really should have made a medical claim.
I still believe that ALLSTATE should pay me at least $8700 or more for my 2008 HHR 2lt panel.
I have talked to 2 different people at Allstate about the value .They keep going on and on about the condition and the mileage.It needed some tires , there was cig burns on the carpet , 1 or 2 , and 1or 2 on the drivers seat , they claim some on the headliner but there were not any.
My HHR was never fixed correctly by dealership in a prveious accident , I was so very , very , very mad about that.The only option they gave me was to take it back to the same dealer. If I go to a dentist and he pulls the wrong tooth and hurts me really badly , am I going back to him so he can make it right ??? I don't think so.
The things that were not fixed properly diid not add or subtract that much value , but it all adds up..It was very , very , very dissapointing to me because my HHR was flawless prior to that accident.
ALLSTATE SUCKS AND MY LOCAL CHEVY DEALER SUCKS ( RICK HENDRICK CHEVROLET).
I have worked in a very respectable bodyshop and I know for a fact that the work they did was absolutely totally unaceptable.Someone would have been fired if we returned a vehcle to a customer in the condition they returnerd my HHR. They never even washed the car or cleaned the inside . That is 1st and last thing that is done to vehicle.I know because that was my job.
I was totally robbed my ALLSTATE AND RICK HENDRICK CHEVROLET IN DURHAM NORTH CAROLINA .
I hate to say it but it is true.
I know some of you guys and gals are true believers CHEVROLET , please don't be offended.
My HHR was a totally awsome vehicle.It is such a shame that some people are incompetent and that insurance is a ripoff.
I really miss my HHR , I'll never be able to replace it.
What you think about vw diesels ??? I'd love to have a Ford Escape Hybrid , but there a little bit out of my price range.So I'm considering a VW diesel wagon , Escort wagon , Corolla wagon. Maybe a Honda Civic.Or mabe I can finally fix my 98 4x4 Isuzu ex cab (S10) and my 67 Mustang fastback , before the become fertilizer. Thanks for hearing my misery.

Krash Kadillak 08-20-2011 01:48 PM

Quotes from catdaddy137:
Thanks for all of the feedback.
I really value combination of experience and opinions (experience the most ).
So what I'm concluding is that it is unfortunate , but what they are offering is (fair ) ???
So, what are they offering?

I could have made a medical claim . My max benifit was $1000 , if I understand my policy correctly. I was in fact injured , bruised and very sore, hopefully nothing serious.
I really should have made a medical claim.
The only thing a medical claim will get you is payment of your medical bills. From what I understand in the previous posts, this accident was your fault (correct me if I'm wrong), so you will be unable to make a bodily injury claim, which pays for pain and suffering, lost wages, etc.

I still believe that ALLSTATE should pay me at least $8700 or more for my 2008 HHR 2lt panel.
What documentation do you have? If you can show the insurance company that your HHR is worth that much, then they'd have to pay it. Just 'your belief' won't be enough.

I have talked to 2 different people at Allstate about the value .They keep going on and on about the condition and the mileage.It needed some tires , there was cig burns on the carpet , 1 or 2 , and 1or 2 on the drivers seat , they claim some on the headliner but there were not any.
These are fairly important factors when it comes to grading vehicle condition. Based on your description, if I was looking at your interior, I would have to grade it 'average' - at best, maybe lower. Needing tires has a serious effect on value - maybe - $400 if the tread is 5/32nds or less.

My HHR was never fixed correctly by dealership in a prveious accident , I was so very , very , very mad about that.The only option they gave me was to take it back to the same dealer. If I go to a dentist and he pulls the wrong tooth and hurts me really badly , am I going back to him so he can make it right ??? I don't think so.
The things that were not fixed properly diid not add or subtract that much value , but it all adds up..It was very , very , very dissapointing to me because my HHR was flawless prior to that accident.
ALLSTATE SUCKS AND MY LOCAL CHEVY DEALER SUCKS ( RICK HENDRICK CHEVROLET).
I have worked in a very respectable bodyshop and I know for a fact that the work they did was absolutely totally unaceptable.Someone would have been fired if we returned a vehcle to a customer in the condition they returnerd my HHR. They never even washed the car or cleaned the inside . That is 1st and last thing that is done to vehicle.I know because that was my job.
I was totally robbed my ALLSTATE AND RICK HENDRICK CHEVROLET IN DURHAM NORTH CAROLINA .
I hate to say it but it is true.
I know some of you guys and gals are true believers CHEVROLET , please don't be offended.
This is all water under the bridge. Too late to deal with it now. You should have dealt with this back then. Move on......

My HHR was a totally awsome vehicle.It is such a shame that some people are incompetent and that insurance is a ripoff.
I really miss my HHR , I'll never be able to replace it.
What you think about vw diesels ??? I'd love to have a Ford Escape Hybrid , but there a little bit out of my price range.So I'm considering a VW diesel wagon , Escort wagon , Corolla wagon. Maybe a Honda Civic.Or mabe I can finally fix my 98 4x4 Isuzu ex cab (S10) and my 67 Mustang fastback , before the become fertilizer. Thanks for hearing my misery.
If you've got something else to drive, working on that '67 Mustang sounds like a good plan to me......

Hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

Greybeard999 08-20-2011 01:48 PM

Bummer all the way around....... :(

sleeper 08-20-2011 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999 (Post 584904)
Bummer all the way around....... :(

X 2, + get the isuzu p/up running..