General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

locking gas cap for hhr?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
I bought one for my 2006 2lt o"reillys part # 5903 about $16.00
Originally Posted by LowHHR
I think I got mine at Auto Zone. CST Cooling System Technologies #5903.
To me they look to be the same cap. The one from AutoZone is in a CST box and the one from O'Reillys is in a Murray Ultra box but the caps are identical and both have the 5903 number. We've had the Murray cap on ours for a couple of years and never had any problems with it.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 PM

Does anyone know if the clearance is the same on the Cobalts? I'd want to get 2 and hopefully the part numbers will be the same. Filler probably is, but I'm not sure about the clearance between the cap and the door.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:09 AM

I had no problem with a Stant cap in my wifes 05 Cobalt-the Stant is higher than the CST Cap and no issues. Use either one.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:45 PM

locking gas caps a lot of them will open if you push down on them really hard even if they are locked.. i worked at a gas station here in Oregon and in Oregon you CAN'T pump your own gas... and people would always misplace the key and we had extra keys in our cash registered and most of them would open with the the keys that we would have
Old 03-17-2012, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by eljimador
locking gas caps a lot of them will open if you push down on them really hard even if they are locked.. i worked at a gas station here in Oregon and in Oregon you CAN'T pump your own gas... and people would always misplace the key and we had extra keys in our cash registered and most of them would open with the the keys that we would have
You can't pump your own gas in Oregon?? Seriously?? That's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard... One would have to wonder why that is...
Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 PM

I live on Long Island in Nassau County-we can pump gas. I went into next door Suffolk County, got out of the car and an attendant asked what I was doing-turned out you can't pump your own. No biggie-price was actually less in Suffolk at the mandated full serve, than in Nassau's pump your own.

Found this snippet:

All stations in New Jersey and Oregon, however, are mini service; attendants are required to pump gas because customers are barred by statutes in both states from pumping their own gas. Both states prohibited self service in the 1940s due to fears that foolish customers would handle gasoline improperly. Oregon's Department of Environmental Quality has also ordered a ban on self-service gasoline due to inexperienced pumpers being a significant source of groundwater and air pollution. Oregon's state fire marshal has also ordered a ban on self-service gasoline. Today, these states enforce the law because of the rapid increase of drive-offs, where people fill up their car and drive away without paying for gas. In 1982, Oregon voters rejected a ballot measure sponsored by the service station owners, which would have legalized self-service gas.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:02 PM

Oh, isn't that silly... It ain't that hard, it's not rocket science!! It sounds a little "too controlling" for me. They're worried about "foolish customers" spraying gas all over the ground? Trust me, gasoline is so expensive nowadays that I'll make sure every drop gets in my tank. I personally don't like the idea of someone getting that close to and touching my car. I take extra care when removing the nozzle from my tank to make sure I don't drip or spill any gas on the paint and exterior of the vehicle. Someone else might not be quite as careful.

Note to self: don't be moving to Oregon anytime soon...
Old 03-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Showing my age here: but I remember when full service was the norm....

gas, wash windshield, check the oil, & Sir, would you also like me to check the tire air pressures ?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:56 AM

I remember "Gas pump jockey" was typically a gearhead's first job while still in high school.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
I remember "Gas pump jockey" was typically a gearhead's first job while still in high school.
Yep, X 2 I remember that also.

I worked in a Machine Shop after school, & saturdays.

Quick Reply: locking gas cap for hhr?