General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Losing oil through exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 08:35 AM

Good catch FMG. Bypass only had one place to go, into the intake tube thats why everything is oiled down.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:45 AM
Technical Moderator

Unless you have done major "tuning" a clogged cat would throw P0420 and the car would sputter. Oil in the cat destroys the precious metals, mainly from the metals in the oil, zinc etc. Clogging comes from overheating caused by funky A/F, the media melts.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:27 AM

took some more pictures. As you can see the line comes from the head to pcv cartridge ( which I checked good), than goes into catch can, and than goes into intake manifold.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:30 AM

This is the crap that came out from catch can after 200miles.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Unless you have done major "tuning" a clogged cat would throw P0420 and the car would sputter. Oil in the cat destroys the precious metals, mainly from the metals in the oil, zinc etc. Clogging comes from overheating caused by funky A/F, the media melts.
Don't have check engine light on. Tuned by zzp.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Well I guess I just don't understand how their system is set up to work. I would think that the end I have marked (with red X) should be connected at the valve cover vent. Based on the way the rest of your catch system is installed.
Everyone else I've seen with catch cans has them venting from the valve cover.
I just assumed by your pictures that the connection between the intake runners was a vacuum port.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Well I guess I just don't understand how their system is set up to work. I would think that the end I have marked (with red X) should be connected at the valve cover vent. Based on the way the rest of your catch system is installed.
Everyone else I've seen with catch cans has them venting from the valve cover.
I just assumed by your pictures that the connection between the intake runners was a vacuum port.
so, do I have it correct?
Old 01-29-2019, 12:20 PM

OK now I see (I think). The inlet port for the PVC system/catch can is into the cavity of the cylinder head and intake manifold flange, doing away with the internal PCV. Flow is routed to a small water separator and then into the intake manifold.
So I'm guessing that box with the arrow on it is the PCV ? And yes it's flowing the correct way, as far as vacuum is concerned.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
OK now I see (I think). The inlet port for the PVC system/catch can is into the cavity of the cylinder head and intake manifold flange, doing away with the internal PCV. Flow is routed to a small water separator and then into the intake manifold.
So I'm guessing that box with the arrow on it is the PCV ? And yes it's flowing the correct way, as far as vacuum is concerned.
yes . That box with arrow is a cartridge for pcv valve. And that valve can only go into cartridge one way.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ohiocruiser
And that valve can only go into cartridge one way.
Is that the OEM pcv ?

Quick Reply: Losing oil through exhaust