Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Moving to a new state! Have to tow the HHR, any tips? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/moving-new-state-have-tow-hhr-any-tips-60602/)

Jpak88 07-23-2018 07:11 PM

Moving to a new state! Have to tow the HHR, any tips?

I'm renting a Uhaul with a tow dolly. I figure this is as good a place as any to ask for towing advice for this specific car. Do's and dont's. Common easily avoided disasters. That kind of thing.

Oldblue 07-23-2018 08:49 PM

With a tow dolly , check your straps often, don’t ever try to backup, and follow the directions to a T.
I used to rent those tow dolly’s and some came back damaged I didn’t see the vehicle that was towed but I saw the police report from a renter that, lost his car, because he didn’t think the straps needed to be that tight, and with straps, who needed safety chains!

Jpak88 07-23-2018 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 848606)
With a tow dolly , check your straps often, don’t ever try to backup, and follow the directions to a T.
I used to rent those tow dolly’s and some came back damaged I didn’t see the vehicle that was towed but I saw the police report from a renter that, lost his car, because he didn’t think the straps needed to be that tight, and with straps, who needed safety chains!

Wasn't going to try and back up. I'll probably be taking rest stops every 3 or so hours, it's a 9 hour drive at normal highway speeds, so probably an extra hour at the speeds I'll be going with this. So I'll check the straps then. As for the directions, is 95% highway. 90 minutes on one, 3 hours on the next, 2 after that, etc. Even once we finally get into Columbus (OH) there isn't a whole lot of complicated maneuvers.

Oldblue 07-24-2018 08:18 AM

Great, then you’ll be just fine! Enjoy the drive to your new home!

aradmahogany 07-24-2018 08:29 AM

Ratchet the straps until the tires start to squish a little. They need to be TIGHT. Your tire flexes a few times a second going down the road, so it wont mind a nice hug.

Jpak88 07-24-2018 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 848630)
Great, then you’ll be just fine! Enjoy the drive to your new home!

Originally Posted by aradmahogany (Post 848632)
Ratchet the straps until the tires start to squish a little. They need to be TIGHT. Your tire flexes a few times a second going down the road, so it wont mind a nice hug.

Thank you, I'm so excited 😭

Yeah I'll tighten them as much as I can and redonit each time I stop.

kustom 07-24-2018 11:20 AM

after driving a few miles check straps i found a few times that they were loose

sleeper 07-24-2018 09:23 PM

And check your rear lights functioning to be safe.

& besides the tie-downs, check the hitch hook up etc. Tow-Dollys are easy to use, just best to check things often & arrive safely.