Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   My springtime plans for the HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/my-springtime-plans-hhr-33421/)

Rod Run 01-15-2011 11:09 AM

My springtime plans for the HHR

First off let me say that I bought my 2009 HHR panel LS brand new, pretty much just a bad weather beater and daily driver (then again about $55k ago that's all my 2004 GTO was supposed to be too). Now that I've had it for about 16 months it's time to change things up a bit. It will never be fast for my standards and it will still be my beater, but I figured it's time to have some fun with it and eventhough a vehicle can be slow, it can still be a bit of fun in the corners.

With that being said, here are my plans after the weather finally breaks in the spring:

1) Paint my "new to me" 17" x 7.5" five spoke rims (Caddy Catera?) body color
2) Make custom centercaps for those rims
3) New BFG KDW-2 tires (somewhere around 235/50/17) that will fill the wheelwell gaps
4) Pedder's springs
5) FE5 shocks and struts
6) Big sway bars
7) Tint all marker lights
8) Paint front calipers
9) Slotted rotors
10)Make custom "non-bling" upper and lower front grills
11)Custom front foglights, as long as they look at least as good as factory
12)Maybe some subtle paint work

The plan is to actually make it fun to drive and give it a smooth, if not better all-around look. The plan is definitely not to buy every stick-on accessory that they sell for the HHR and make it look cheaper than they it already is.

843de 01-15-2011 11:16 AM

Sounds like you've got things figured out to make a unique ride for yourself, post some pics as you make progress so we can follow along.

Rod Run 01-15-2011 04:57 PM

It should be a lot different than stock when done.

I just talked with Rob over at Wretched Motorsports (my local Pedders dealer) and he actually had the springs in stock. I was going to go and pick them up on Monday (5+ hours roundtrip) but he said he will ship them to me for free. I don't know if that's policy, or just that I've given him a lot of business over the years since Pedders came over to the states. Either way, I told him no rush because they aren't going on until spring.

I'm just in parts collection mode right now

Greybeard999 01-15-2011 06:14 PM

Tire calculator shows that tire size to be just over 26"..... They may or may not rub the lower strut plate in front depending on that particular brand's sizing..... Just a word of warning. 26" is right at the cut off point.

Also... Sway bars. These things handle as if they were on rails with just the addition of a Progress rear bar, especially if leveled, or lowered in your case. I doubt very much handling will be markedly better with "Big sway bars" although I guess bragging rights may be..... No offence. Not trying to spend your money or save it either, but if adding a matching bar to the back does the job it's a lot less hassle than swapping that front bar. Note: adding Moog end links to the front is a good move either way.

Take photos! We like to see projects come together.

Rod Run 01-15-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999 (Post 521818)
Tire calculator shows that tire size to be just over 26"..... They may or may not rub the lower strut plate in front depending on that particular brand's sizing..... Just a word of warning. 26" is right at the cut off point.

I hear ya on that:thumb: that's why I haven't picked a definite tire size yet because I haven't looked at the exact specs. I also want to make sure to keep close to my stock tire height (speedo) along with trying to fill my wheelwells.

Also... Sway bars. These things handle as if they were on rails with just the addition of a Progress rear bar, especially if leveled, or lowered in your case. I doubt very much handling will be markedly better with "Big sway bars" although I guess bragging rights may be..... No offence. Not trying to spend your money or save it either, but if adding a matching bar to the back does the job it's a lot less hassle than swapping that front bar. Note: adding Moog end links to the front is a good move either way.
I will definitely be matching front and rear bars. I've seen too many people put "big sways" on their cars, just for the sake of saying they did, and their cars actually handle worse than before they had them because of to much understeer or oversteer. I should have worded it that "I will be going with the biggest matched set of swaybars that I can find", because if everything is balanced, bigger is almost always better.

I do like the endlink suggestion though if I don't find an upgraded bar for the front. I haven't researched what I have in there for stock, but I would have to believe that an LS doesn't come with the same bar as an SS, and I would also tend to think that the aftermarket companys make bigger and better balanced swaybar than the SS has from the factory. Either way, I'll be spending some time looking into sizes

I'm definitely not looking into spending money if it isn't going to improve things, because as I originally said, this is mostly just my daily bad weather beater. My other cars have their own bank accounts (seriously) but this one just gets whatever throw around is leftover at the end of the week/month. If I had the money to really go all out and this wasn't a daily driver, I would spend the money on Pedders coilovers

Thanks for all your input

IgottaWoody 01-15-2011 11:07 PM

Bigger bars will track flatter...while alot of people dont need bigger bars, because with what they have is better then theyve ever had before so they cant see the benefit,,,,but there is one, othewise they wouldn't be offered.( When Used correctly). Where bars start causing problems is when you make radical changes (springs and bars) and dont match them. Having a too big a bar with too big a spring will make a bad push because when the bar starts reacting it adds to the original spring rate thus making the front end a brick in the corners,even though the ride may feel good in a straight line( when the bar is relaxed) Shocks dont affect spring rates, only affect how fast the weight transfers to that wheel( stock shocks are valved too soft, allowing weight to transfer too soon, this shocks the tread contact patch and can induce a push, NOTE: Factory set ups are setup to push , understeer, because its easier to correct then an oversteer in an emergency manuver, for the average driver). If your just driving a grocery getter, change the rear bar and leave the rest alone. For the rest of us who like the slot car handling, bars springs and shocks are the only way to go!

farmer52 01-16-2011 05:36 AM

First on my list is to give it a complete cleaning (both outside and inside) to remove the road salt. That stuff gets everywhere. Other plans are to install new front sway bar links (MOOG greaseable), reinstall the factory 17" rims/tires, and it will probably be due for an oil and filter change too.

HillsdaleHHR 01-16-2011 06:59 AM

Have a few things planned all dependant on money and a little help from a good friend :D :gnonespet:

1). Install Wet Okole Seat Covers
2). Install Rear Sway Bar
3). Paint Calipers
4). Mount New Rims and Tires
5). Might Install New Headlights
6). Thought about Pedders but don't want to go too low with a daily driver in Michigan

Hopefully can have all this done by June 4th :twothumbs:

foolmoon_design 01-16-2011 08:27 AM

Nice laundry list.

I was gonna do tires, exhaust, and springs in a week or two. But now it looks like I might just do the whole suspension and wait till fall for a DP and exhaust so my list looks like this. If I wait till fall for exhaust I'll throw the engine mount and a Cryo2 in with it.(I really want the cryo for show and shines, purge, purge, purge!)

Tires (stockers $850)
Shocks + Struts(FE5 stuff about $500)
Pedders Springs($400 w/shipping)
Swaybar bushings($40)
Moog endlinks($30)

prod 01-16-2011 12:21 PM

I would do a test fit of the wheels first. My 16" Catera wheels were hitting the front brake calipers and required 1/8" spacers. Your 17" may not, but would be a good idea for you to check.

Rod Run 01-16-2011 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by prod (Post 522083)
I would do a test fit of the wheels first. My 16" Catera wheels were hitting the front brake calipers and required 1/8" spacers. Your 17" may not, but would be a good idea for you to check.

Thank you, but I bought these off of another member here that previously had them on his HHR so I should be all set

Rod Run 01-20-2011 09:53 AM

Got these this morning From Wretched Motorsports. Have to wait until spring to put them in thoughhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/northeast__rod__run/5373050796/

jay loukakis 01-20-2011 12:09 PM

why paint the wheels why not have them powered coated I had mine gloss black and love them, if they get nicked I bought gloss black nail polish at the drug store, Eibach will have their new rear sway bar ou next month. enjoy the ride.

Rod Run 01-20-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by jay loukakis (Post 523810)
why paint the wheels why not have them powered coated I had mine gloss black and love them, if they get nicked I bought gloss black nail polish at the drug store, Eibach will have their new rear sway bar ou next month. enjoy the ride.

I want to have them bodycolor and with powdercoating it won't be a perfect match. Also, I some of my own powdercoating and powdercoating has one major drawback over paint.

When paint gets light scratches in it you can just buff them out, but with powdercoating they are there for life. I don't really like to coat any part of a car that is seen everyday. mainly underhood and underbody parts are all I will do.

HillsdaleHHR 03-27-2011 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR (Post 521965)
Have a few things planned all dependant on money and a little help from a good friend :D :gnonespet:

1). Install Wet Okole Seat Covers
2). Install Rear Sway Bar
3). Paint Calipers
4). Mount New Rims and Tires
5). Might Install New Headlights
6). Thought about Pedders but don't want to go too low with a daily driver in Michigan

Hopefully can have all this done by June 4th :twothumbs:

1. Half Check - Still need to install the rears
2. Still sitting in box in living room
3. Once it warms up
4. Check
5. Check
6. Not doing
7. Stage 1 - Check
8. HIDs - Check

Rod Run 05-03-2011 06:50 PM

Well springtime is here, so it's time for some updates. Although I have most of the parts already, nothing has been installed yet, but I now have a pretty concrete plan.

What I decided to do was make my own version of a special panel edition of the HHR. I'm going with a theme that will be very tastefully done (I hope), that should look like something you could have special ordered from the factory. It will be more of an appearance package than a perfomance package. Last night I finally finished designing my centercaps and the rest of the striping and logos for the "Rod Run Edition" HHR, so here are the plans...........

Exterior:
Shaved front bumper
Relocated front plate bracket
Custom color-matched mesh grill
Smoothed color matched side mirrors
Special striping and emblems/logos
Tinted marker lights
Tinted windows

Wheels and Tires:
Custom painted Cadillac Catera 17" x 7.5" wheels
Custom designed centercaps
Nitto Invo 235/45/17 tires

Suspension and Brakes:
HHR SS struts and shocks
Pedders springs
Larger swaybars
Color-matched calipers
Slotted rotors

I do have a few more plans but I'm not going there yet. I should be starting the work within the next week or so and it shouldn't take me long once I get going. I would like it all done by the 21st of May, but with one of my other cars at the bodyshop right now, I don't think they would be able to finish that one and this one by then. I will have everything else done though, because I am doing the rest of the work myself.

I will update as I do the work.

Rod Run 05-06-2011 05:32 PM

My tires came in last night and that lit a fire under my ass, so today I installed my struts, shocks, and springs. It rides quite a bit firmer now

Tomorrow morning I'm going to bring my wheels to the shop to get them painted. I don't know if he has time to do them right now, but at least they'll be there if he does get anytime soon.

prod 05-07-2011 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rod Run (Post 562885)
My tires came in last night and that lit a fire under my ass, so today I installed my struts, shocks, and springs. It rides quite a bit firmer now

Tomorrow morning I'm going to bring my wheels to the shop to get them painted. I don't know if he has time to do them right now, but at least they'll be there if he does get anytime soon.

I just painted my catera wheels gunmetal, with a bowtie emblem on the center cap. It sounds like we will have some similar mods.

bassbase 05-08-2011 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rod Run (Post 561965)
Well springtime is here, so it's time for some updates. Although I have most of the parts already, nothing has been installed yet, but I now have a pretty concrete plan.

What I decided to do was make my own version of a special panel edition of the HHR. I'm going with a theme that will be very tastefully done (I hope), that should look like something you could have special ordered from the factory. It will be more of an appearance package than a perfomance package. Last night I finally finished designing my centercaps and the rest of the striping and logos for the "Rod Run Edition" HHR, so here are the plans...........

Exterior:
Shaved front bumper
Relocated front plate bracket
Custom color-matched mesh grill
Smoothed color matched side mirrors
Special striping and emblems/logos
Tinted marker lights
Tinted windows

Wheels and Tires:
Custom painted Cadillac Catera 17" x 7.5" wheels
Custom designed centercaps
Nitto Invo 235/45/17 tires

Suspension and Brakes:
HHR SS struts and shocks
Pedders springs
Larger swaybars
Color-matched calipers
Slotted rotors

I do have a few more plans but I'm not going there yet. I should be starting the work within the next week or so and it shouldn't take me long once I get going. I would like it all done by the 21st of May, but with one of my other cars at the bodyshop right now, I don't think they would be able to finish that one and this one by then. I will have everything else done though, because I am doing the rest of the work myself.

I will update as I do the work.

:withoutpictures:

Rod Run 05-08-2011 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by bassbase (Post 563155)
:withoutpictures:

I've only done the suspension so far, so it's not really worth pics yet.

I'll try to get some pics up after next weekend, when I hopefully get the wheels and tires on

Rod Run 05-14-2011 10:59 PM

Ok, you guys want pics?

Here are the first ones worth posting. It's my before and after pics of my calipers. I won't be buying new rotors until next month, at the earliest, so those pics are gonna have to wait

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil.../8/0/2/019.JPG
https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil.../8/0/2/018.JPG
https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil.../8/0/2/021.JPG
https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil.../8/0/2/024.JPG

I'm supposed to be picking up my wheels on Tuesday, so I should be mounting my new tires on them by next weekend

sleeper 05-15-2011 12:37 AM

:twothumbs: Looking good man !!!!

2manyvans 05-15-2011 06:41 AM

Ditto,Looking Good... Where did you get the Chevrolet decals? I installed drilled and slotted rotors recently- so far so good. John

Greybeard999 05-15-2011 06:54 AM

Look great! I've got to re-do mine this year...... Too much rain at the moment.....

Gas Man 05-15-2011 08:46 AM

I like the red/black combo.

SS fan 05-15-2011 09:07 AM

Nice job, like the details. keep the pic's coming!!:thumb:

Rod Run 05-15-2011 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 564692)
I like the red/black combo.

Originally Posted by SS fan (Post 564693)
Nice job, like the details. keep the pic's coming!!:thumb:

Thanks guys. There is a reason why I went with those colors. When I finally finish with everything, the colors red, silver and black will be continued throughout the entire design on the whole HHR

Originally Posted by 2manyvans (Post 564676)
Ditto,Looking Good... Where did you get the Chevrolet decals? I installed drilled and slotted rotors recently- so far so good. John

I got them from tkHHR. He is a member on here and is absolutely great to deal with

Rod Run 05-19-2011 10:29 PM

Things are moving along now. I picked up my wheels yesterday and I mounted the tires on the wheels today.

When I got home from work tonight, looks like the big brown truck left me some stuff. My new side markers came in, along with new headlights and a rear sway bar

If the rainy weather finally breaks tomorrow, I will get everything installed in the morning

prod 05-20-2011 01:33 AM

What paint did you use for the calipers? And what prep did you do before painting them?
Ive tried the VHT caliper paint in spray can, with sanding and cleaning. Didnt hold up very well at all. Ive heard brush on is better, but I dont know any brands.

asanti 05-20-2011 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by prod (Post 565863)
What paint did you use for the calipers? And what prep did you do before painting them?
Ive tried the VHT caliper paint in spray can, with sanding and cleaning. Didnt hold up very well at all. Ive heard brush on is better, but I dont know any brands.

PM sent to you.

Back OT: great job on the paint, love the twin colors and the fact you're already tying it into a future theme. :twothumbs:

Later
Allex

Rod Run 05-20-2011 09:24 AM

I always use Dupli-color ceramic paints, with a self etching primer for stuff like this

I start by cleaning everything with some brake cleaner. After that I'll use the wirewheel on my benchtop grinder to remove any heavy scaling, then I use some rough sandpaper (just to knock some more casting down) before hitting everything with some scotchbrite just so I can get in all the tight spots

The final stage before priming and painting is to clean everything with lacquer thinner. I keep going over the parts until the rags don't pick up anymore grime. You could use wax and grease remover from here, but I never do.

This is how I always do it, and my last job still looks as good as new and that was done about 5 years ago

Once I do this

sleeper 05-22-2011 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like Eastwoods' new Motor Paint w/ ceramic. Good to 650*

& once brushed on, it flows out like spray paint. No paint catalyst needed. And 1 qt of paint lasts & lasts..

Rod Run 07-21-2011 03:25 PM

It's been a while since I've last updated, but since then I did install the wheels on the HHR, along with all the new lights and rear swaybar.

Right now I'm waiting for my stubby antenna, leather steering wheel (with radio controls), and stainless exhaust tips to come in. It all should be in next week.

The first thing I'm going to do (besides the antenna) will be to cut my rear bumper for dual exhaust and then bring it to have a new exhaust installed.

The steering wheel will have to wait. I have to tear it apart along with some other interior parts, because I'm getting some hydrographics done on a bunch of the interior trimwork

I will be posting up detail pics soon, but I won't be showing any complete shots of the HHR yet, because there is much more planned. I won't show any pics of the whole thing until it's 100% complete (for this year)

Rod Run 07-26-2011 10:41 PM

Here's a bit of a tease on my parts while they're still in-process. I did my switch plates also

They are far from finished, but you get the idea anyway
https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...rinprocess.jpg
https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...inprocess2.jpg

lots of changes coming up in the next month

Gas Man 07-28-2011 05:18 AM

That looks good. Even though it's not real CF it is going to look better than bright painted pieces.

Rod Run 07-28-2011 09:48 AM

Thank you,

I've NEVER been a fan of ANY "fake" automotive modifications, but this type thing is pretty amazing. 75% of the "real" carbon out there (hoods, trunks, interior parts, etc) is actually laid on top of another material (usually fiberglass) anyway. This process is the same in that respect, in the fact that it's bonded on top of the original part.

There are literally hundreds of different patterns (carbon, skulls, marble, brushed metals, water drops, camo) that can be used with this process, but I decided to go with the carbon fiber look this time. Over the winter I will be tearing into one of my other cars and maybe going with a brushed aluminum finish on it's trim worm.

I think when people use "carbon fiber" sitckers, it looks cheap as all hell. A sticker looks like a sticker no matter what you try to do.

Hopefully I'll have some finished pics up by the end of the weekend

Rod Run 08-02-2011 12:05 PM

Just finished the 'glass work on my grill and dropped it off to get painted. Hopefully the shop will have time to get it done this week.

Rod Run 08-03-2011 10:22 PM

I dropped off my grill to get painted yesterday and the shop already had a paint card, but I figured that if they had an actual piece of the car to match the color, it might be even better for them.

So since I was bored today I figured I'd give them a body piece. To do that I decided to cut a section out of my rear bumper, to get it ready for my dual exhaust. As I've done on cars in the past, I just used a dremel with the proper bits, along with files and sandpaper. Now hopefully on Monday I can go to the exhaust shop and get a new exhaust installed.

sleeper 08-04-2011 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rod Run (Post 581515)
I dropped off my grill to get painted yesterday and the shop already had a paint card, but I figured that if they had an actual piece of the car to match the color, it might be even better for them.

So since I was bored today I figured I'd give them a body piece. To do that I decided to cut a section out of my rear bumper, to get it ready for my dual exhaust. As I've done on cars in the past, I just used a dremel with the proper bits, along with files and sandpaper. Now hopefully on Monday I can go to the exhaust shop and get a new exhaust installed.

Sounds good, + I like the duals too..