Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   No start ESC off and SERVICE TRACTION warning after battery disconnected for 30 mins (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/no-start-esc-off-service-traction-warning-after-battery-disconnected-30-mins-61993/)

Musky 07-13-2019 10:06 PM

No start ESC off and SERVICE TRACTION warning after battery disconnected for 30 mins

I know there are many other topics dealing with the anti-lock brake system and the ESC. But I couldn’t find one that matched the problem I’m having.

I have a 2008 LT Panel that I needed to reset or reboot the electronic systems after installing a XM module. So I disconnected the negative ground connection at the battery for app 30 minutes. Afterwards everything seemed to be working fine except the tire sensors were showing dashes instead of the tire pressure. This had happened once before and running the TPMS matching calibration fixed this. This time when I tried starting the engine all I get are loud clicks and every warning light known to man goes off.

I removed the negative cable from the battery again and disconnected the XM module in case that was the cause. Now when I try to start it, I still get just clicking and the “ESC OFF” light along with a SERVICE TRACTION.

Would the ESC prevent the truck from starting? The strange thing is that this happened once before when I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, but then started right up with no alarms, just a normal start up. I’m hoping it will do the same eventually. I know the 2008 HHR had issues with the RCDLR but I have had that reprogrammed.

Has anyone had this issue with no starting and the ESC OFF warning and SERVICE TRACTION?

Would low tire pressure cause this? I did just run the TPMS which I had to let air out if the tires for 8 to 10 seconds?

I appreciate any help

donbrew 07-13-2019 10:28 PM

Most likely the ESC and traction are caused by something else.

Did you tap into any wires? What sort of XM module? Why would a reboot be required?

Musky 07-13-2019 10:56 PM

Thanks for the response!

First of all, I did find a thread where someone was having the same issue and it's working fine now. it turned out to be a low battery. I will have to see if I need a new one after it dropping so much in a short time. Apparently, the TPMS matching was quite a drain on the battery. My stock radio is XM ready so the harness for it was installed in the right rear compartment where the VCIM is, I bought a GM factory module from Dave and it is the same part number that fits my 2008. I knew that it would be "locked" because of the security system but I was prepared to have it flashed to my VIN by the dealer. What I wasn't prepared for is that it doesn't show anything different on my radio info. I was hoping in a reboot. the system would recognize it, but nothing.

donbrew 07-14-2019 09:05 AM

The lights are on when you do the TPMS. Look at fuse #25 and #24 on the BCM.

Did Dave deactivate the module? Call 1-800-556-3600 to activate/deactivate, then park the car with the key and radio on for 30 minutes outdoors. That is the only programming I can find.

The XM demo channel should be available as soon as it is plugged in. No locking involved. The XM is not connected to the CANbus like the OnStar is.

The book is sketchy on the subject.

Musky 07-14-2019 04:45 PM

Thanks for researching it for me.

I have read a lot about this and get different answers. In some posts it says that the first time you turn it on after installing the module, you'll get a "Locked" or "theft locked" etc on the head unit and it needs flashing the VIN number. And it will take a tech two to "turn it on" Others say the same as you that the XM band will load with a demo channel as soon as you plug it in. I'm thinking that even though this units part numbers match,. mine is a 2008 and it came out of a 2011 SS ( I believe) and the module has been changed in some way through the years.

I found a post that showed how to get around the HHR security by cutting one of the solder joint on one of the chips that are on the XM Module circuit board (sounds like fun). It turns out that in my unit they have replaced that component.

I'm unsure of the policies in this forum about posting links to other forum posts, so if anyone's interested I can PM the links for this procedure.
It's not a big deal, but I was hoping to get the XM receiver working before I put the trim back together. It was so difficult to get the panel trim off and I never want to do it again. it was worth it as I now have factory Bluetooth which works great.

donbrew 07-14-2019 05:01 PM

You seem to be confusing the head unit, the VCIM and the XM. The security chip is in the head unit, a brand new head unit needs only to be turned on and the VIN is set, a used head unit needs a tech2 or removal of the chip. The VCIM is the OnStar which is part of the CANbus.

When you see references to "digital radio receiver" that is the XM/Sirius. The OnStar usually is called GPS unit or some such confusing thing.

XM/Sirius just needs to be pllugged in and activated. I am not sure what XM/Sirius policy is on used units.

If you do certain things to the VCIM the car can be disabled; that's why I asked about wires etc.

Now I am wondering if you are actually changing the VCIM, not the XM. Bluetooth is part of the VCIM not XM.

Musky 07-14-2019 06:14 PM

I have a way of confusing people.:lol:

I had the stock VCIM which in a 2008 had On'Star but no BlueTooth. So I got a VCIM off Ebay which included Bluetooth.It was from a 2010 GM. I then took the interior quarter panel off and swapped my VCIM for the newer one. I now have bluetooth and I didn't have to do anything else. I suppose I will have to have OnStar activate it if I want to use OnStar but I don't plan on ever using OnStar.

Since the XM or Digital receiver mounts in the same area and has a wiring harness for the XM module is already installed, I purchased the XM module from Dave, hooked it up to the connector that was already there from the factory. But, unlike the VCIM module has not been recognized by the factory head unit. (I know the VCIM is not part of the radio)

donbrew 07-14-2019 07:16 PM

Upon looking at the low speed LAN I find that the digital radio receiver is connected to the low speed LAN on the same wire as the head unit, so maybe there is some security chip or programming needed.

Good luck finding a GM mechanic that knows how to do it. You might check with the radio installers at Best Buy or whoever does that stuff, it can be a SnapOn tool.

Do you have the shark fin antenna, the one at the rear?

Here is some diagnostics, maybe the head unit end is not connected.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...7340b7a504.png

Musky 07-14-2019 07:37 PM

Thanks! I've been thinking that since the digital receiver was not installed at the factory, why would they have the connector plugged into the head unit?

I'm going to have a look and see if there is an empty connector near the radio, like there was for the receiver

Thanks for all your help Don!

donbrew 07-14-2019 08:28 PM

The connector will be there it's the wires.

Is this the link you saw? Adding XM

You will still need an XM antenna, the OnStar antenna does not necessarily include one. Check on the glovebox door for U2K to see if the car came with XM.

BTW, "XM ready" means that there is a connector on the back of the headunit to plug SXV300 XM tuner into, not that it has a CAT button.

This guy shows how to hack the car. https://theksmith.com/software/hack-...p-easy-part-1/