General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Oil Life....???

Old 11-29-2005, 08:08 PM

Oil Life....???

I just got my first oil change today, and the oil life display on the dash still says 62%. How come it didn't go back to 100%? I tried to reset it on the steering wheel but that didn't work.....does anyone know what to do??
Old 11-29-2005, 08:22 PM
Banned

Because your dealership or where ever you took it to didn't reset it. You can't reset it on the dic. Take it back and have them reset it. I had the dealership I bought my HHR off do my oil change they listed reset the oil life meter on the work order.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:51 PM

So.... unless we have the dealer do the oil changes, the DIC feature is useless ??
Old 11-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Banned

I took it to the dealer because when I bought it they gave me $9.99 oil changes for the life of the vehicle. For what I'm going to pay for oil and a filter its not worth me doing it. The DIC has other useful features and that is the only one I think you can't reset with the button. Did you do your own oil change? The oil life meter is pretty useless to me anyways. I change at 3000 miles and my oil life was still at 60 something %.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:35 PM

Typically there is a way for somebody to reset this themselves. On my Saturn VUE, it's very easy. You simply put the car in aux. and push a reset button in the under-hood fuse box, and voila the oil life sensor is reset.

Just a matter of time before somebody posts how to do it for the HHR.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Banned

I'm sure its something like that for the HHR also. I would be interested in hearing from anyone has done their own oil change. I keep reading about the cast in oil filter on our engine and have never encountered this before I bought a HHR. I'm guessing that there is no canister and your just replacing a filter element?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 AM

As far as resetting the oil life monitor through the DIC, it can be done and is very easy (RTFM). When I changed my oil, I reset the monitor. Changing the oil is extremely easy, in fact this car is the easiest vehicle that I have changed oil on.

If anyone is going to change their own oil be sure to pick up a SHALLOW 1-1/4 socket, a universal is not required but is recommended and a long extension. You will only be able to loosent he cap with the socket you will have to remove the socket before you can unscrew the cover fully and remove it. Make sure not to tighten the cover too much as it is a plastic based cover, there is a recommended torque spec on the cap. For the left over oil that sits in the bottom of the oil filter housing, I just used some paper towels to clean the rest of the oil out.

HTH
Old 11-30-2005, 06:37 AM
Banned

But how do you reset the DIC? It may be easy but how is it done. If you hold the reset while on the oil life screen it does nothing. Also is there a traditional canister or are you just replacing a filter element. I don't understand the whole cast in filter thing. I have only had one oil change so far and I let the dealership do it.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:42 AM

To reset the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message, do the following procedures:
1. Turn the ignition to RUN, with the engine off.
2. Press the information and reset buttons on the DIC at the same time to enter the personalization menu.
3. Press the information button to scroll through the available personalization menu codes until the DIC display shows OIL-LIFE RESET.
4. Press and hold the reset button until the DIC display shows ACKNOWLEDGED. This will tell you the system has been reset.
3. Turn the key to LOCK.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Banned

Does that reset the oil life percentage or just get rid of the change oil soon message?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Life....???