General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Pulsating brakes, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 08:48 AM

Pulsating brakes, need advice

I guess its a common problem on the HHR that the front brakes pulsate or shudder under hard braking. So when I replaced the pads a year or so ago, I had the original rotors turned. Mistake. Didn't take long for the pulsating to start again. So went to the local NAPA bought two new rotors, made in China I think, after several months they are starting to pulsate. So I figure I need to go with genuine GM parts. GMPartsDirect doesn't have them, but found some on Rock Auto. They are ACDelco coated for about $26 apiece. Is this the way I should go?
Old 01-30-2019, 08:55 AM

You need to check your rear brakes first. And probably LCA bushings
Old 01-30-2019, 09:03 AM
Administrator

X2 , you can upgrade to SS non Brembo brake and possibly your hubs.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by LVJJJ
They are ACDelco coated for about $26 apiece. Is this the way I should go?
This your best option depending on your income.
How many miles on your car ?
Have you had any other repair work done to the front end ?
Yes, check and adjust your rear brakes also. For all you know the drums are out of round.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

FWIW: I check my rear brakes adjustment every time I change oil & filter. (generally once a year)..

No front brake shudder. Yes they have 'self-adjusters on rear drum brakes' it's just that they don't work very well like they should.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:46 AM

Are there any recommended procedures to check the rear brakes adjustment oneself?
Old 01-31-2019, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, mine are: If my emergency brake needs more that 3 or 4 clicks to hold my vehicle in neutral on a hill, then time to adjust.

Otherwise when I service it, I lift 1 back wheel at a time & give that wheel a spin. If it is quiet, I adjust it a click or so till I just begin to hear the faintest sprag. Then hit the foot brake & check again, to be sure the shoes are centered. Once you do it, it becomes like a pit stop, very quick & easy.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:14 PM

Only buy ceramic pads for the hhr, with fresh rotors at least one grade above the cheapest.

Plan on spending a couple hundred for quality front ceramic pads and rotors.

Cheap organic and or semi metallic rotors simply dont hold up to the braking demands of this vehicle, especially once factoring in the tightly wound sensitive suspension components that could have used a little more research and development for longevity.

I went through 2 sets of cheap pads and rotors in 2 months. Have 10k miles on a quality ceramic set that feel like new.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Not necessarily true or needed BillyJohnson. Many of us have used the so-called cheap pads and rotors with great success. Especially once we realized the importance, and necessity, of manually adjusting the rear brakes periodically to ensure they take some of the load off the front brakes.

Can you explain what you mean by "tightly wound sensitive suspension components"? They really aren't anything out of the norm at all.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:58 AM
Administrator

I have a set of ceramic pads AC Delco’s from RockAuto on the HHR now very little brake dust, very quite and the stop just as good as the carbon fibre pads I took out, they were bad for dust and squealing, fine for driving the old course in Watkins Glenn , but a lot of dust!

Quick Reply: Pulsating brakes, need advice