Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Regretting buying a HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/regretting-buying-hhr-50022/)

King Aires 03-28-2014 06:38 PM

Regretting buying a HHR

I really hate to say it folks, but I 100% regret buying this used HHR.

In my previous thread I outlined how a CPO used HHR could have so many problems, since buying it the Dealership replaced a faulty steering column and blower fan motor. I have replaced the struts, sway bar links and bushings, shocks and spark plugs.

Well today I hear a chirping on the highway, loud enough to hear over the wind. As I came to a stop the chirping turned into a swooshing and lowered in frequency proportionately to the speed of the vehicle... you guessed it, Front Left Wheel Hub is dead. Now I still have a clunk when going over bumps with the wheel turned as well coming from the pedal area of the car (intermediate shaft) and I check today and there is play in the passenger side lower control arm...

So I make an appointment for my car at the dealer, I am very close to the end of my 12k mile warranty. What do I find out on the news today, my ignition switch is recalled. Dealer said nothing when I made my appointment, you would think that someone with a 2010 HHR calling to make a service appointment you would be jumping up and down that you didn't have to track me down and tell me about it... nope, Carman Harlan on the WDIV news had to tell me after I made the appointment.

Seriously, my whole family has worked for GM and Chrysler, I can see the Ren Cen every day... I am buying a rice mobile as my next car. I can't take this anymore. I have owned this car for 2 months and have put more work and more effort into it than anything I have ever owned.

No GM Service person, I don't want to talk to you about my problem, the last time I did the dealership called me 4 times to tell me how unfair I was for not giving them a chance to correct the problem.

Sorry GM, last car I will ever own of yours, wish you would take this one back too.

firemangeorge 03-28-2014 07:11 PM

Good.
Sell it and get a Nissan. Oh wait, they have a recall too.
Get a Honda. Oops, they have a recall too. Toyota, yes, multiple recalls.
We have a Hyundai. Oh yeah, it's been recalled before.

Get a ______(fill in the blank) it's probably had, does have, or will have a recall.

LawDog88 03-28-2014 07:24 PM

You forgot that one that starts with 'F' George :lol:

mongo 03-28-2014 07:42 PM

You bought a used car and are surprised it has issues.

Is it the same problem over and over? Does not seem to be from your post.

Is the dealer repairing it under the warranty? You did not state whether you tried to have them fix suspension issues, which in all honesty should have been noticable during a test drive. It appears that the other issues were taken care of however.

Here's a post where you state the mileage and how the dealer gave you more than bluebook, the tone makes it sound like you traded in a POS

Originally Posted by King Aires (Post 740987)
For reference I got a CPO 2010 HHR with 46k for 11k with all the state taxes and transfer BS... I don't negotiate on price because they gave me an autotrader full value trade in on my old car that was worth about 3k but appraised at 5500 lol

Sorry, but no sympathy. You bought an overpriced used car from a dealer that gives over bluebook for cars in poor condition. What were you expecting, and why is this GM's fault?

843de 03-28-2014 07:43 PM

Fiat or Ford Kev, they've both been down the "Recall Highway" just this year.

There hasn't been a brand without some kind of recall in the past year or two, except for Rolls-Royce and Bentley. And if you have the cash for one of those, you're definitely on the wrong forum.

Nightwalkerhemi 03-28-2014 07:43 PM

Being Realistic most cars have issues being used,most people don't even know they have problems they just keep driving,where I live car repairs are crazy cause the roads are garbage,and I had two power steering issues on two different car same day due to cold weather,and roads,ones a 09 other 03 just hit 100,000 mile mark on 03,09 has about 90,000.
Stuff happens,I had a brand new maxima didn't start,a month after we bought it.
Had a brand new truck 6 months old brake booster went bad.
Sell if you have to but I'll represent American car till I stop driving,or they stop making them,I don't even consider myself as true believer in America but its the point.
American car dealers/America can sell out all they want I'm not,they can make our parts wherever I know I did my part they didn't do theirs.
Maybe these parts we're made elsewhere/go to local auto parts store and say oh "can I get a USA part"they'll laugh!

SS fan 03-28-2014 08:01 PM

How about those Tesla's.....hot item for 100,000.00.....I keeping my crappy Chevy's.:D

Frenchy42 03-28-2014 08:48 PM

Sounds to me like you may have gotten a bad egg. Mine is creeping on 100k miles, and has not had any significant problems(biggest thing was the reverse light switch). And from what I've read/seen on here, few others have had significant problems they didn't cause themselves.

2oodoor 03-28-2014 08:53 PM

King all the thngs you are replacing are normal maintenance items on any make car /suv of this era . It bites that you had to do this in a short time though. Something to keep in mind when buying used is many models were mass purchasd by rental companies so the cars history is an important inquisition.
Upgrades to certain pieces were done by aftermarket co. And those should be used as replacement whenever practical
So if the same parts are failing inside 10-30k miles then that would be aggrivating enough to jump ship. Research what ever model youre looking to purchase, owner reviews:forums:social media :bow: gotta love the interwebs

King Aires 03-28-2014 09:12 PM

It isn't about the recall, which many of you more defensive types have seemed to latch on to rather heavily. The recall was the icing.

No car should have issues this diverse after a 110 point inspection and certification. I have never owned a car with more rattles, squeaks, out of plum doors, cheap parts in my life.

You can claim that every other brand is the same but that simply isn't true... and you can claim that my trade in was crap, but it was a luxury car that was almost 40k new, getting 5k for it after 9 years isn't an issue.

No, the dealership did not replace the suspension issues because they claimed there wasn't any problem with it and that noises like clunks are common on HHR cars. Yes they offered to give me an oil change because the original dealer sold a CPO with 19% oil life, but they would deduct 1 of my 4 free to do it.

This board is full of thread after thread of people unhappy with premature rotor failure, bad wheel hubs, bad sway bar links, bad interior door handles, bad fuse box pins... I just don't see how anyone could jump up my rear end when the consensus here on a HHR forum is these cars are crap.