Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Remote Start isn't working (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/remote-start-isnt-working-62023/)

Skinni 07-22-2019 03:07 PM

Remote Start isn't working

I have a 2009 HHR with remote start. I just got it back from the dealer, as my fobs were not working. I got brand new fobs. I was informed by the dealer that my remote start will not work and it throws a catalytic converter error. I have replaced the catalytic converter 3 times previously for this same issue. I do not get an engine light. The only symptom is that the remote start will not function. I have a local repair guy that cancels the codes and it starts just fine, but after putting about 1000 miles on the car it stops working. That is the only symptom. I do not see how I could have a faulty catalytic converter again and no engine light comes on ever. I would like a correct answer to this issue. How would I need 3 catalytic converters in 10 years? The car was brand new when I got it. There is nothing blocking the transmitter, my doors are all locked, no lights are on and my hood is closed. Last last converter I put on is 8 months out of warranty. I can not afford another 2 grand. I do not believe this is converter related, but I may be wrong. Can anyone give me any advice. Thank you. Where is this located in my car, please. maybe I just need to replace that.

donbrew 07-22-2019 03:14 PM

What code?
Why $2000? You can get 48 state cats for under $200 on eBay.
The code is the reason remote start does not work.
Why wasn't the cat covered by the 8 year warranty on emissions? On a 2009 it would have been illegal for a shop to replace the cat NOT under warranty.
ANY shop that just replaces a cat without finding out and fixing the cause of the failure is ( trying to think of a nice word for fraud).

Doc brown 07-22-2019 03:37 PM

X2 what Don said. What was the code? Your local repair guy is only masking the issue by clearing the codes.

Why would you need 3 cats in 10 years? Good question. Something is causing them to go bad. HHRs are not known for failed catalytic converters. And it should not cost $2k to replace one. At most the part itself is under $300 from a parts store. Labor can't be all that high for this.

Oldblue 07-22-2019 04:35 PM

A 10 year old car, so why the dealership?
drive it to your local parts palace and have the codes read, the battery load tested and the alternator tested.
Write down any codes, post em up here , we will go from there.

donbrew 07-22-2019 04:54 PM

I went back to look at Skinni's previous post. She is continuing to deal with a shop that is ripping her off.

geg 07-23-2019 12:52 AM

just an amateur's attempt to logically reason:
1. before starting, "Remote Start" tests some onboard systems;
2. if "Remote Start" refuses to start - "Remote Start" or sees a malfunction, or does not see any system entirely;
3. Skinni reports a malfunctioning catalyst, but the catalyst is completely new and it is unlikely that it is dead;
4. Therefore, "Remote Start" does not see the catalyst as if it does not exist at all.

Conclusion: need to find out with what sensors the on-board brain senses the presence of a catalyst and look for a malfunction there.
Correct me if I'm wrong - but this is the front sensor of oxygen with a high probability. Most likely just a violation of electrical contact (the wire is broken or rotten).

P.S.
Skinni - the catalyst is a very expensive part, it is stupid to throw it in the trash, even if it really died. Scrapers are ready to buy it for good money to extract platinum and other valuable raw materials from the catalyst. I hope you did not leave your catalysts in the repair shop.

Skinni 12-17-2019 07:27 AM

Remote Start isn't working

My 2009 HHR has remote start, however it hasn't been working properly for quite some time. I am always asked if the engine light is on. No it is not. It throws error codes about emmissions however I had my catalytic converter replaced, 3 times and the emission filter twice. I had my key fobs replaced last summer. No idea why I can not get this problem sorted out. Any ideas? There are no other symptoms.
Thanks

firemangeorge 12-17-2019 07:34 AM

I think you covered this before. Same question. And you got some answers.
Here's that 1st thread. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...working-62023/

Lethal Tendencies 12-17-2019 07:37 AM

Does the parking lights blink when you hit the remote start button? You can check the connector under the hood. it should be right in front.Its a safety switch

Oldblue 12-17-2019 07:39 AM

Are your brake lights working?
Hood closed switch ?
is the RS activated in your DIC?