Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Remote starter and parking lites (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/remote-starter-parking-lites-2123/)

machinistlady 05-18-2006 10:21 PM

Remote starter and parking lites

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this situation:
When using the remote starter during the day, the parking lights come on when you start it and stay on(like the manual says they are suppose to do), however when remote starting at nite, the parking lites don't come on at all.
Have I got a problem or is this the way they all work?:confused: I hate to let the dealer get their hands on my HHR if I can avoid it! Thanks.

SoCalHHR 05-18-2006 10:29 PM

There was an ECU reflash to address this issue. If you're not comfortable taking it to your dealer try this:

Remote start your HHR at a time when the lights don't come on.

Put the HHR in "Drive."

Put the parking brake on (hard!).

Get out of the HHR and see if the Parking lights are now on.

If you have "auto lights" on, they should always come on when the vehicle is put into gear. If you have a stick instead of auto, you're going to have to get creative, because the sticks must be going 5mph first! :lol: I would recommend having a friend drive it and YOU examine the light operation.

Hope it helps,

captain howdy 05-18-2006 10:37 PM

Mine did that and would occasionally stall. I had my HHR reflashed and all my remote start problems are gone.

Tokyo 05-18-2006 10:39 PM

I too had this minor annoyance crop up, but as the Guru's stated above, it's solved with a simple reflash of the ECU. Next time you're in for service, ask them to reflash to the current firmware and you'll be golden! :D

machinistlady 05-18-2006 10:46 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I knew if it was a common problem someone here would know. I sort of figured a reflash was in order.

JAZZ-N 06-29-2006 12:55 AM

Can remote start be installed on a stick? That's the only thing that might separate me from getting a manual. Could I use a Chevy module or whatever they are or must it be aftermarket?

snova031 06-29-2006 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by JAZZ-N
Can remote start be installed on a stick? That's the only thing that might separate me from getting a manual. Could I use a Chevy module or whatever they are or must it be aftermarket?

It can be done with a stick, but most shops won't install one in a manual.

We won't install a rem start into a manual no matter what...

machinistlady 06-29-2006 03:07 AM

I had a starter installed on my silverado that worked with manual transmissions that was fantastic. The range was about 1/2 mile and I was spoiled by it. The remote starter that comes with the HHR is nothing to write home about. The range is quite low. Personally, my opinion is if that is the deciding factor for a manual tranny, you could probably get a really good remote starter installed for way less than the automatic transmission costs. The company that made the starter that I know works with manual, was Startech Security and the unit was the 800 plus platinum. The web site was startechsecurity.com but when I tried it just now, I couldn't connect so I don't know if they are still around. When I bought mine a couple of years ago, they had been in business for a long time.

coachpete 07-27-2006 12:14 PM

Lights not working during remote start

I had my ecu reflashed last week and I still have the same problem with my remote start. When using the remote start the parking lights are intermittent and do not come on all the time neither at night nor during the day.

machinistlady 08-26-2006 03:07 AM

I finally took mine in for service and the dealer refused to flash the ecu because they claim that there is a bulletin out that directs them not to flash it because it wouldn't take care of the problem and that engineering is currently working on the problem.